Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

And me - a calendar sounds like a great idea! Although photos of the final two arrivals would be obligatory and that wouldn't leave much time to get it published...🥴

It was a busy weekend (not with modelling though!), so only a small update today...

The tail decals came off after an application of micro sol. Here they are mid-strip; they peeled off very easily once softened:

ripoff.jpg

Whilst waiting for the replacement decals I am working on various other areas. Here are the engine pods, with the pylons masked:

pylons2.jpg

The exhausts were brush painted with Humbrol's gunmetal, but I was not happy with the results - far too many visible brush marks... I sanded them back and used Alclad Duraluminium instead, which gave a far better finish:

dura.jpg

They might need a coat of satin varnish, as I think the finish is a little too matt at the moment. The intake anti-ice rings are also painted and masked. I need to paint the extreme rear of the engines with a lighter coloured ring, then apply the BA blue and decals.👍

• Like 7

Great detail shot.  Interesting shade of blue.  26 Decals recommends Humbrol #15 midnight blue for the Negus livery on the -136/236.  It’s available in a rattle can.  What blue did you use, @Back in the Saddle, Matt.  Looks very good.

Dennis

• Like 1

Nice work there Matt, engines are coming on very well, metallics can be a right pain to get right. Glad the decals gave into your potion!

Great news for Landor schemed G-BNLY, my favourite of the 'retros', confirmed by BA today as off to Dunsfold for preservation,

https://www.airlive.net/british-airways-boeing-747-400s-g-bnly-and-g-bygc-will-be-saved/

• Like 3

As a resident of St Athan, I'm following this build with a vested interest. It was only Wednesday that I went poking around that shuttle car park with the big debris mound opposite BAMC to try and photograph the BOAC. Mission failed however as the hill was overgrown! 

The build so far is absolutely stunning. And it's convinced me to go a buy a tin of appliance white for my Otter build too. 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2020 at 20:10, 71chally said:

Great news for Landor schemed G-BNLY, my favourite of the 'retros', confirmed by BA today as off to Dunsfold for preservation,

https://www.airlive.net/british-airways-boeing-747-400s-g-bnly-and-g-bygc-will-be-saved/

I must admit I'm very pleased another one has been saved. I'm not sure if it will ever be open to the public, but at least it's remaining in one piece.👍

21 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

The build so far is absolutely stunning. And it's convinced me to go a buy a tin of appliance white for my Otter build too. 

Thanks Lewis. You can't go wrong with appliance white!

Not much to report on this one. I'm tinkering away with the undercarriage, which needs quite a bit of work to make it respectable. I'm hoping the weather will improve soon and enable some air brushing, as that is holding this build up at the moment - it seems everything needs a coat of paint!

• Like 1

The weather was lovely here yesterday, waited almost two hrs in hail showers today but luckily when she departed the weather broke a bit.  Sad to see her go, but at least into preservation.

50683139131_317e9d14b2_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BNLY British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

50682377828_6a74b08b4b_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BNLY British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Interesting to see the extra set of 524H engines in the Dunsfold vid, initially I wondered if they were removed from 'VW but they appear to be another set.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

• Julien locked and unlocked this topic
On 05/12/2020 at 15:54, Glen said:

Great to see the 744 and 10 parked next to each other. My 2 favourites!

Great job on the build so far - it’s looking really smart.

Cheers Glen. 👍

On 05/12/2020 at 16:51, DMC said:

G-BNLY gets its retro paint job.

Thanks for the link Dennis, I’ve never seen those images before.

On 05/12/2020 at 17:35, 71chally said:

Interesting to see the extra set of 524H engines in the Dunsfold vid, initially I wondered if they were removed from 'VW but they appear to be another set.

Thanks as ever for posting the photos James. I’ve heard those are time-expired engines and will be fitted onto G-BNLY, allowing the engines that were on the wings when she arrived to be used elsewhere or sold. I believe work on this is already underway!

A clip from YouTube showing the arrival:

Work on my model is slow at the moment, due to the weather, but I have managed some painting today - albeit in very cold conditions. The undercarriage is now primed:

gear.jpg

I have also almost finished painting the grey on the wings and tailplane:

707.jpg

Hopefully a bit more progress to report tomorrow!

• Like 7

Excellent work Matt, lovely finish on those wings especially.  Only eighteen wheels and tyres to paint aswel!

...talking of which, I've been wanting to take a picture of the unique 747 body main gear steering as it only occurs at the more extreme steering positions, just managed it here with G-BNLY,

50683277428_55d15fd055_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-BNLY British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Excellent work Matt, lovely finish on those wings especially.

Cheers James, I think one more coat should do it!

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I've been wanting to take a picture of the unique 747 body main gear steering as it only occurs at the more extreme steering positions, just managed it here with G-BNLY,

That is a great shot showing the body gear steering in action - I’ve never seen that before. It certainly helps get the aircraft around a tight corner!

• Like 1

Sorry, I should have added, this Friday (11 Dec) is planned to be the very last BA 747 movement, when G-BYGC, the BOAC 'retro', will position from BAMC Cardiff to St Athan for preservation.   Times to be confirmed, but if you want to see it I would be ready around midday.

• Like 3

Another rainy day, so today's project will involve these:

wheels.jpg

Pretty good, with crisp and accurate detail - but huge seams to remove! My plan is to apply a dirty wash over the primed hubs, which should look pretty authentic for a 747 - the undercarriage is usually filthy. With luck, I may get the struts and wings sprayed today as well.🤞

• Like 6

The grey paint on the wings and tail is now completed and the masking removed:

chip1.jpg

One minor issue - I have chipped the milliput at the leading edge of the wing root ☹️I mixed up some more milliput and added another dollop to the offending area:

chip2.jpg

I will obviously need to touch up the metal leading edges, so will also fix the area on the underside where the grey seeped past the masking tape!

The bogies are also progressing well. I’m now at the stage of making them look dirty!

• Like 10

Wings looking good, Matt.  I’ve been holding off on mine to see how you made out.  I’ll go along with the 26 recommendations which seem similar to what you’ve sone, but not exactly.  

Dennis

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

They're looking good Matt, shame about the chip, but you'll soon sort that!

Thanks Keith - it's now repaired! :smile:

7 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Taking shape nicely Matt really impressive great save on the leading edge

well done

thanks for sharing

Cheers Eamonn - you're welcome! 👍

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Wings looking good, Matt.  I’ve been holding off on mine to see how you made out.  I’ll go along with the 26 recommendations which seem similar to what you’ve sone, but not exactly.  

No excuse now Dennis - you'll have to start yours!

As mentioned above, I have now fixed the chip:

root2.jpg

It's all blended in again - you can see the slight colour change in the milliput which shows where the repair starts. I guess my mixing isn't quite 100% 50:50!

Once the leading edge is repainted I will tackle the corogard sections.

Tomorrow sees the final flight of the final aircraft - G-BYGC in BOAC colours from Cardiff to St. Athan. And that truly will be the end of an era...😢

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Great catch up. You’re doing a wonderful job. Shame about that decal. Could you not have painted the blue bit green? I’m sure there’s a reason but I couldn’t see it. Either way you seem to be mastering decals so the new ones will go on a treat. 👏👏👏

Johnny

56 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

It's all blended in again - you can see the slight colour change in the milliput which shows where the repair starts.

Looks good Matt. Milliput is SOOOO useful IMHO!

Terry

• Like 1