Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

Nice looking natural metal Matt, and it looks like you got a beautifully smooth surface to spray it on, given my experience of how the stuff shows up the tiniest of blemishes that you miss! Does give a lovely finish though.

Keith

I agree with Keith re the Alclad finish but don't forget to seal it well before weathering. Ask me how I know! 😭

Terry

PS Obvs, does depend on what sort of weathering medium you use!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, that was a first, managed to catch an aircraft taking off at Cardiff, and then catch it 14 minutes later landing at St Athan!

This time it was G-CIVU, unfortunately seen in that horrible gloomy, featureless weather.

50597383888_008d4e6a43_h.jpg

Boeing 747 -436 G-CIVU British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

50598130966_957d484374_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-CIVU British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

On 13/11/2020 at 09:31, keefr22 said:

Nice looking natural metal Matt, and it looks like you got a beautifully smooth surface to spray it on, given my experience of how the stuff shows up the tiniest of blemishes that you miss! Does give a lovely finish though.

Thanks Keith. There must have been a few hours work involved getting that finish...! I'm now paranoid about damaging it, so have barely touched it since spraying the Alclad!

On 13/11/2020 at 10:02, Terry1954 said:

I agree with Keith re the Alclad finish but don't forget to seal it well before weathering. Ask me how I know! 😭

Thanks for the tip Terry. I'm planning to use Flory, as my enamel based wash has gone solid since I last used it a month ago...?:unsure:  I'm assuming that the water/clay mix in Flory will leave the Alclad intact!

Thanks for the photos James, but shame about the weather that day. :sad: Hopefully better for the next few Fridays!

Not much has happened on this build, as it's been busy at home recently. I still need to mask the Alclad ready for the grey but have, at least, now added the wingtips:

tips.jpg

These really make it start to look like a -400👍.

Another sanding session is required to blend these in, then it's going back in the spray booth for the grey!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks for the tip Terry. I'm planning to use Flory, as my enamel based wash has gone solid since I last used it a month ago...?:unsure:  I'm assuming that the water/clay mix in Flory will leave the Alclad intact!

I reckon you are safe enough with Flory Matt. I once foolishly used enamel/oil wash but had not properly sealed with a good covering of acrylic varnish......

Those winglest should look good once blended in. As you say, really starting to take the form of a 400!

Terry

• Like 1

Really good looking 747 Matt !!

I use Alclad very frequently and did'nt have any issue but the Chrome one...

Look like chrome but definitely matt....Which is not the biggest characteristic of chrome paint....

So, I'll make another try... and if it did'nt look shiny, I'll switch to AK extreme metal for the chrome paint...

Sincerely.

CC

On 17/11/2020 at 17:41, Terry1954 said:

I reckon you are safe enough with Flory Matt. I once foolishly used enamel/oil wash but had not properly sealed with a good covering of acrylic varnish......

Those winglest should look good once blended in. As you say, really starting to take the form of a 400!

Thanks Terry. I will check on some scrap though before using it - there's no point ruining it at this stage! Those winglets make a huge difference to the model.👍

On 17/11/2020 at 17:47, corsaircorp said:

Really good looking 747 Matt !!

I use Alclad very frequently and did'nt have any issue but the Chrome one...

Thanks CC. I've been experimenting with Alclad again today (on my Lightning build) and it's become my new favourite product! I've just ordered a couple of extra bottles, to try out some other finishes too...😉

On 17/11/2020 at 22:11, 71chally said:

Nice work on the -400 winglets, are they just an add on part in the kit, or part of the wing moldings?

Two separate pieces James, glued onto the wingtips. I was leaving it as late as possible before attaching them - I know how easily I could knock them off!

I had a mammoth masking session last night and today. Firstly the wings and tailplanes, to protect the silver leading edges:

wm.jpg

Then the fuselage demarcation line, using my new Tamiya 2mm tape for the curves. Here's the nose:

nm.jpg

And the tail:

tm.jpg

I found a couple of old tins of Xtracolour which were used on a previous BA model:

xtra.jpg

So with much trepidation, I headed outside to start spraying. I don't think I've ever been so nervous about painting - I really don't want to muck this one up...🤞

I will get the masking removed soon and see how it looks!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

nm.jpg

Beautiful masking there Matt!

I'm sure you have told us before, but what white undercoat and subsequent gloss coat have you used for this?  I have a 737-200 that's been sitting on the shelf for years ready for paint and that finish of yours looks so good, I'd like to try it!

Terry

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Beautiful masking there Matt!

I'm sure you have told us before, but what white undercoat and subsequent gloss coat have you used for this? 

Thanks Terry - I was happy with how well it went on and it did the job perfectly.🤞

My painting regime is Halford's grey plastic primer first (to show the blemishes) - as many coats as needed; Halford's white plastic primer next (giving a lighter base colour) then finally Halford's gloss appliance white as a top coat. It seems to work well, as I'm very happy with the finish.

The masking tape is now removed... Here's the front:

nr.jpg

A tiny overspray by the wing root - I noticed that the tape was not completely flush with the surface just as I hit the trigger to spray...:wall: It should be an easy fix! Here's the back of the fuselage:

tr.jpg

It ended up being much easier than I expected - I was dreading this stage of the build! I will leave the fuselage for a few days to completely harden, then I think it will be time for decals to be applied.🥳

The wings and tailplane are progressing more slowly, as I am only painting one side at a time. This is simply to make storage easier whilst the paint dries. I will keep plugging away at these and post some pictures once they're done - it could be a few days!

Engine painting is also underway. I brush painted the rear of the cowlings with Humbrol gunmetal, but this doesn't look quite right. I will try tomorrow with Alclad duraluminium, which should be a better match.👍

• Like 16

Cracking work Matt, as others have said, lovely precise masking there, and really nice paint finish.

When I have a masking 'bleed' like that, I use a scalpel to gently scrape off the darker colour back to the masking line. By the time the final finish has gone on it's unnoticeable.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the kind comments. If I look very closely I think the line may be out of position a tad* at the rear, but I'm confident it doesn't show to a casual observer.

I was about to start decalling the fuselage this morning, but then realised I have one more area to paint - the off-white/cream patch in front of the windscreen, shown below on this image of IVP just before her final flight to St. Athan:

patch.jpg

At least I can have another practice with the Tamiya tape! Once that is painted I can start on the decals.:yahoo:

*tad - about 1mm in new money!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

When I have a masking 'bleed' like that, I use a scalpel to gently scrape off the darker colour back to the masking line. By the time the final finish has gone on it's unnoticeable.

Thanks for the tip James.👍 I managed to remove the overspray with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit - I guess the paint wasn’t fully cured and I caught it in time!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That's a nice shot, I take it the off white areas are an anti-dazzle measure?

I can only assume that’s the case, I can’t think why else it would be painted differently. It must have made a very subtle difference!

Are you at DGX today for YGG’s arrival?

• Like 1

I am, working unfortunately as it limits my photo options, dark and gloomy here again! 

I can see her sat good and ready over at Cardiff with her three inmates, 'GC, 'GD (next weeks arrival) and 'LY, the last four airworthy -436s!

On 20/11/2020 at 16:07, 71chally said:

Despite a spirited attempt, 'GG didn't make it, the weather clamped right in at the worst time.  Still, she will go on to make another flight!

Resisting until the end! Next attempt is tomorrow... That was a convoluted route she took on Friday!

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great masking dear boy. 🦸‍♂️ Turned out really well. 👏👏👏

Thanks Johnny.

A bit more curvy masking today, for the anti-dazzle panel:

cream.jpg

This is my second attempt at this, as the first one didn't look quite right and had to be gently sanded off. I am using a mix of matt white with a tiny dollop of light brown - it looks to be the correct shade of cream!

Busy day today, but I will try and get some painting done if I can. The grey on the wing undersides is almost finished too; one more coat should do it.👍

• Like 6