Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

Nice work on the engines.

Same here,no reply whatsoever from Philippe,about my decals.😳

I dont know how he's working.Sometimes the orders are shipped fast and troublefree and then are times like this,when you get no reply and no shippment.But the money is welcomed upfront...

On 25/01/2021 at 12:54, Alex1978 said:

Nice work on the engines.

Same here,no reply whatsoever from Philippe,about my decals.😳

Cheers Alex. I still can't get hold of him either, despite multiple polite emails...

On 25/01/2021 at 21:23, 71chally said:

Apologies, been missing out on your progress Matt, been a bit of a funny month for me.

Superb work, hopefully you will overcome the decal woes, but great looking 'naked' 747 there!

Thanks James. Hopefully not looking 'naked' much longer!

On 26/01/2021 at 21:26, The Spadgent said:

Gah. Shame about the decals. Your engines look splendid however. 👌

Thank you!

Regarding the decals, I have had a minor breakthrough with the home-made versions and have finally managed to get them successfully printed! 🥳

I still need to seal them and am considering using Halfords lacquer. It might work in the same way as the others described on the previous page... More importantly, I've got a can in the garage so can try it out easily using one of my earlier smudged decal sheets. If it works I'll apply it to the good quality print👍.

• Like 3

On 29/01/2021 at 16:11, PhantomBigStu said:

Looks fantastic, really making me want to order a Zvezda 747-8 for a future backdate. Though mustn't get ahead of myself, getting fairly close to masking my 787 up for the BA blue, which is where its gone wrong before. 

Thanks Stu. I must admit, I put off masking the demarcation line too but in the end it was a doddle. 2mm Tamiya tape works beautifully for this job - it is able to stretch slightly, so I applied it under gentle tension to help me keep it level - it worked a treat!

As mentioned, I printed a set of decals last week that looked useable:

sharp.jpg

The top set is my rejected sheet, with dirty smudge marks and also the incorrect colours on the left decal - the central section should be green, not blue. I misted them with three coats of Halfords universal lacquer, cut them out and applied them to the model:

col2.jpg

A huge improvement regarding the accuracy of the design - the green band now extends to the top of the fin and the entire tail cone is covered with red. On the downside, I felt the application was not as good as my first attempt with the F-DCAL offering...🙄

As there are still a few minor inaccuracies in the pattern too I will go back to Photoshop and do a bit more tweaking, then produce a third revision - these ones are coming off! Having waited this long I might as well try to get the design as accurate as I can. It will also be very useful for my next project - I have some more 747 kits in the stash and I will be printing my own decals for those too. Getting the basic shape of the fin decals correct will give me a template for future work. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 31/01/2021 at 19:10, keefr22 said:

I admire your persistence Matt, you'll beat those decals into submission I have no doubt - and that jet will look great when you do!

Thanks Keith. It's more work than I envisaged but I think it will be worth it...!

On 31/01/2021 at 19:18, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

You're certainly getting there!

Cheers!

On 31/01/2021 at 22:03, Alex1978 said:

Thats coming along very nice.👍

Your hard work will pay off in the end and you will do the great queen fully justice.

On 01/02/2021 at 09:38, FortyEighter said:

I like your latest tail decal Matt - once you've got the exact sizes worked out for the wrap around parts, printing more World Tails will be a fiddle.

Thank you Alex and Mike. I'm considering this as groundwork for later models!

On 01/02/2021 at 10:34, Team Aer Lingus said:

Excellent work Matt she's coming along very nicely glad you got the decals sorted 

Thanks Eamonn!

23 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Matt, the color density of your decals is excellent.  What brand of printer are you using?

Hi David. It's an HP Envy 4520, an inkjet printer I bought about 5 years old... nothing special - it cost about £60 I think.

I did some dabbling with Photoshop last night to correct the decals to the best of my ability. Before and after shots below, showing the changes:

revisions.jpg

The black lines need to be re-applied but I will do that with a permanent marker - my Photoshop skills are nowhere near good enough to add those digitally! As a reminder, this is how it should look:

andy.jpg

I will print out the amended decals (one for the side of fin and one to wrap around the rear fuselage), seal them and then get to work with a Sharpie. Once completed I will scan them again, flip them digitally to create mirror images for the other side of the aircraft and then print all four decals. I should finally have a useable and accurate set for the model.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

get to work with a Sharpie.

Hi Matt,

I think a Sharpie would be too thick. Something like this might be more accurate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STA-Fine-Liner-Pen-Pigment-Marker-Waterproof-Black-Ink-0-05mm-0-8mm-Brush/192740843550?var=492882450987&hash=item2ce03fe01e:g:bxoAAOSws99b~rqL&redirect=mobile

Cheers,

Ian

On 02/02/2021 at 15:44, The Spadgent said:

You’ll turn into a decal. 🤣.

At this rate I'd be quicker with Keith's earlier suggestion to mask and spray the entire design! 🤣

On 02/02/2021 at 15:44, The Spadgent said:

Going great guns sir, your dedication and attitude towards this build makes it all the more special. 👌 excellent stuff.

Thank you!

On 02/02/2021 at 20:13, Turbofan said:

I think a Sharpie would be too thick. Something like this might be more accurate.

You could be right... The black lines on the real thing were quite thick, but perhaps not as thick as this:

sharpie.jpg

Just experimenting at the moment - I'll try again on another rejected version to see if I can get the lines smoother and lighter. Freehand does not work!

On 02/02/2021 at 20:40, keefr22 said:

Good idea of using a marker for the black lines Matt - and looking at the real thing at least they made it easier by not having a consistent thickness to said lines! :)

Thank goodness for small mercies! The above attempt is not *too* bad. I'll make a template from cardboard for the curves, which should make them much smoother. If I also apply less pressure to the pen I think it will work... Failing that it's back to Photoshop - at least I can dabble with that easily on a cold, wet evening...

• Like 4

Obviously now I have gone so far down this road of making my own decals, Philippe at F-DCAL has finally replied to me...😄

He has made all the required amendments and is posting the replacement decals to me on Monday. Until then, I think I will hold fire on doing anymore work with this and see what the replacements are like.👍

At least I've learnt quite a bit about making custom decals because of this problem and I'm sure that will be very useful for future projects. Every cloud!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Obviously now I have gone so far down this road of making my own decals, Philippe at F-DCAL has finally replied to me...😄

He has made all the required amendments and is posting the replacement decals to me on Monday. Until then, I think I will hold fire on doing anymore work with this and see what the replacements are like.👍

At least I've learnt quite a bit about making custom decals because of this problem and I'm sure that will be very useful for future projects. Every cloud!

Dito...

My 747SP is finished and Philippe shipped the decal yesterday🙄

Well,as there is a Philippine Airlines A300 decal set for my Heller kit included,its a good thing.

If the windows and other detail stuff on the 747 sheet are on a separate detail set,I can use it on another build.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, melvyn hiscock said:

spacer.png

missing the hell out of this one, but I did let it nearly break me (honestly, you guys that get paid to go flying?......... no idea...............)

Full rebuild plus about 450 hours flying. It it any wonder I ended up broke?

I still miss flying like crazy, but for different reasons now.

spacer.png

off to the hospital to discuss the next rounds of ‘creative poisoning’ this afternoon. Please excuse the lecture, but wring the most out of what you have (do I regret going broke flying the Rearwin now???? It was only money) and NEVER miss a test!

It is with a great sadness that I have just heard of Melvin's passing. 

A real giant in keeping the cause of classic aviation in the mainstream in the UK, and obviously a very keen modeller.

RIP

• Sad 7

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 11:00, 71chally said:

It is with a great sadness that I have just heard of Melvin's passing. 

A real giant in keeping the cause of classic aviation in the mainstream in the UK, and obviously a very keen modeller.

RIP

Very sad news indeed. Melvin was a top guy, one of the best.

Sorry for the delay in replying James - I never received a notification that there was new activity on this thread. I've been away from this one for weeks, as I am still waiting for my replacement decals. I was told a month ago that they were in the post, but heard today that they are due to be sent to me later this week...

Hopefully a proper update soon!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...