Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

@71chally Cracking montage!👍

Things have been a bit hectic this week but two major milestones have been reached. Firstly, my bench has been tidied to within an inch of its life in an attempt to find the missing scriber:

desk.jpg

Unfortunately I still haven't found it(!), so I resorted to using a scalpel and a file to rescribe the required areas on the wing...

The second milestone is that I have now finished painting this model 🥳

Only a couple of photos at the moment. Firstly the engines, after the final coat of blue:

blue.jpg

All was well until I removed the masking tape, which took off some Alclad from two of the engines. These were masked again for a re-spray:

pull.jpg

@DMC On your thread it was recommended to paint the nmf last, rather than first for this very reason. However, I have also been warned that spraying Alclad over enamel could cause a reaction in the paint... I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, deciding which of these two problems would be easiest to subsequently fix!

As well as repairing the exhaust area I have also increased the size of the anti icing ring on the engine intakes. These were masked to a convenient panel line, which turned out to be in the incorrect position. Consequently the silver ring was too narrow - you can just see the issue on the top engine (above). The panel line was filled and the ring depth extended.

I will try to get some more images posted, as hopefully things will be quieter soon. This model is certainly getting close to completion now, I just need my replacement decals to arrive! 🙂

• Like 8

Hi Matt @Back in the Saddle

Not sure if this applies but many years ago, too many, I worked in an auto body repair shop.  Among other things I learned was that is was okay to paint enamel over lacquer but not the other way around.  If you did the lacquer would haze or wrinkle up. Of course paint formulas have changed since then but I follow the rule and I seldom have problems.  Coincidentally, I have been boning up a bit on Alclad as I’ve been wanting to give it a try.

So, an anti-icing ring.  Never stop learning.

Dennis

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

The mention of a calendar earlier in the thread prompted me to this mosaic of all the British Airways 747s I saw this year, it was going to be twelve pictures but with twenty 747s involved I couldn't really do it in less than fourteen pictures.

G-BYGA, GB, GC, GD, GE, GG, G-CIVC, VE, VF, VI, VK, VM, VO, VP, VU, VV, VW, VY, VZ and G-BNLY, you have served proudly.

50749177437_6ed0dd096c_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436s 2020 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Very nice collection.

Cant hide some tears though,as these 747s wont grace our skies anymore😭

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

(Belated) Season's Greetings! 🎅

It's been a busy few days at home, so not much bench time recently. Santa somehow managed to deliver this little chap on 25th:

mr.jpg

He comes to life at night, so after a hard day with the kids we now have busy evenings with the hamster! I have managed to do a little modelling in my spare moments - here's the current state of play with the engines:

engf.jpg

I have also finished the wings with a dirty wash to bring out the panel lines:

wash.jpg

Both wings and engines are now waiting for decals before final assembly. Talking of decals, here's the "British Airways" logo from F-DCAL:

decy.jpg

Nice detail, but with integral doors and windows - obviously designed for a model with filled windows! Fortunately two blank "Speedmarques" were supplied (the red/blue ribbon design), so some careful cutting produced these ready for application:

cutout2.jpg

Once on, I will punch out the window holes ready for Kristal Klear.

I think a decal session is next...! I'm still waiting for my tail fin replacements, so that might be the last thing to get done.

On 24/12/2020 at 10:12, DMC said:

Not sure if this applies but many years ago, too many, I worked in an auto body repair shop.  Among other things I learned was that is was okay to paint enamel over lacquer but not the other way around.  If you did the lacquer would haze or wrinkle up.

Hi Dennis. That is my understanding too, hence applying the nmf first. It generally worked, except for two minor areas where the masking tape lifted the Alclad...

• Like 8

Catching up with my build threads today...!

I have postponed the fuselage decals for now - I need a long, quiet session to do justice with those and there are plenty of other minor things needing attention first!

The tailplane is now complete except for "no step" decals around the coroguard:

tpw.jpg

The scribing with a scalpel was not as good as I would have liked - one day my proper scriber will reappear!

I have also flory washed the underside of the wings:

durt.jpg

Hopefully when cleaned up it will enhance the panel lines.👍

Finally I have applied decals to the engines:

engd.jpg

A bit of a mish-mash here. The red bands were provided in the F-Dcal package, but were so fine they were almost invisible - I reverted to using the more chunky, original Revell offerings. The "RR" logos were supplied by Ian and went on much more easily - thanks @Turbofan! The spinner swirls were in the Revell sheet and I will attempt those next...🤞

I will let everything dry overnight, pin wash the panel lines then get the engines sealed and attached to the wings.👍

This one is getting closer to completion!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Coming along very nicely Matt - the engines look great! 

Thanks Keith. Despite my best efforts there was some slight silvering - unfortunately there is not much I can do about that...

I have continued decalling tonight, adding the multiple "no step" markings. Here's a section of wing:

steps.jpg

The tailplane is also completed, along with the engines. I just need my new fin decals to arrive!

In the meantime, I will start to fill all the windows with Kristal Klear - that should keep me busy for a while...!🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've grown tired of waiting for the replacement decals to arrive. They are now holding up this build far too much and I really want to see the finished model!

As a recap, this was the problem:

decon.jpg

Too short at the top, not long enough to cover the whole of the tail cone and also some incorrect patterns/colours under the tailplane...

Fortunately I scanned the decals before use :happy: and I have now bought some decal paper, so I will see if I can make all the required amendments myself using photoshop and print them out.

What's the betting that the replacements arrive in the post once I've done all that!? 🥴

If they do, at least I will have learnt a new skill which will be useful for later builds!👍

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I've grown tired of waiting for the replacement decals to arrive. They are now holding up this build far too much and I really want to see the finished model!

As a recap, this was the problem:

decon.jpg

Too short at the top, not long enough to cover the whole of the tail cone and also some incorrect patterns/colours under the tailplane...

Fortunately I scanned the decals before use :happy: and I have now bought some decal paper, so I will see if I can make all the required amendments myself using photoshop and print them out.

What's the betting that the replacements arrive in the post once I've done all that!? 🥴

If they do, at least I will have learnt a new skill which will be useful for later builds!👍

Hey Matt

great idea scanning the decals you should be fine reprinting then onto decal paper, just don’t forget you need a sealing agent applied once you’ve printed them otherwise (in the case of inkjet printers) the ink will run when soaked. Like Plasti-Kate hobby and craft sealer.

Iain

5 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

great idea scanning the decals you should be fine reprinting then onto decal paper, just don’t forget you need a sealing agent applied once you’ve printed them otherwise (in the case of inkjet printers) the ink will run when soaked. Like Plasti-Kate hobby and craft sealer.

Thanks Iain, that's answered one question for me! I have a bottle of Microscale Liquid Decal Film - I assume that will do the trick if lightly sprayed over the decal paper?

I adjusted the scan on photoshop, extending it in the required areas, then hit 'print'. Major disaster ensued - it would appear I bought laser printer paper by mistake and placed that into my inkjet printer - it didn't work!

splod.jpg

Doh! I have now ordered the correct paper for my printer, but that won't be here for about a week. Maybe the replacement decals will arrive first after all...?!😆

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Iain, that's answered one question for me! I have a bottle of Microscale Liquid Decal Film - I assume that will do the trick if lightly sprayed over the decal paper?

I adjusted the scan on photoshop, extending it in the required areas, then hit 'print'. Major disaster ensued - it would appear I bought laser printer paper by mistake and placed that into my inkjet printer - it didn't work!

splod.jpg

Doh! I have now ordered the correct paper for my printer, but that won't be here for about a week. Maybe the replacement decals will arrive first after all...?!😆

Oops that’s a bit of a mess 😱 In answer to your question yes Microscale liquid decal film sprayed over the printed decal should do the trick, just make sure you give it plenty of time to cure, after that you should be able to treat your home brewed decals as normal. Good luck!

Iain

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I've never heard of liquid decal film being sprayed - I'd always thought it to be too thick, I even think it's a bit thick when brushing it ? What do you thin it with? 

Keith

Oops I’ve never used it I have only every used the Plasti-Kate type sealer which comes in a rattle can, I assumed that you would be able to spray it?

Iain 

On 03/01/2021 at 22:01, Back in the Saddle said:

I have also flory washed the underside of the wings:

durt.jpg

Excellent work on this big beastie. The flory looks like it worked out well for you. One word of advice. If you have a nice big flat brush. Use that to apply it in smooth strokes. It helps if you decant it into a dish or such.  If you run with the flow of the air while applying when removing the stuff any you do leave on looks more realistic as it’s in line with how the dirt would hit the structure instead of brush patterns. 

As the 747 is pretty clean and you’re only wanting the panel lines this worked well so I’ll shut my flapping hole. 🤣 Always nice to pass on techniques. 
Happy new year dear boy.

Johnny. 

Ps. That decal thing is something I would do. 💆‍♂️😩🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Major disaster ensued - it would appear I bought laser printer paper by mistake and placed that into my inkjet printer - it didn't work!

Hi Matt,

Part of the problem might be that the decal paper is very thick compared to standard printer paper that might be why it has smeared. Does your printer have a 'heavy' or 'card' option?

I think you can put inkjet paper in a laser printer but not vice versa but I might be wrong on that. 

The colours look good though!

Cheers,

Ian

12 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

I assumed that you would be able to spray it?

I honestly have no idea Iain, I've very rarely used it myself, but I'm pretty sure as it comes out of the bottle it would be too thick to spray. I went in search of the bottle I think I still have last night to see if it says anything on the label but I couldn't find it!

Keith

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

If you run with the flow of the air while applying when removing the stuff any you do leave on looks more realistic as it’s in line with how the dirt would hit the structure instead of brush patterns.

Thanks Johnny, that makes perfect sense - I'll file that one away for future builds!

Regarding the application of liquid decal film I've now found the bottle and read the instructions - it is to be applied with a brush. However, it states that I have to apply the film to the decal paper, then print the design, then seal it with a second coat of film... I was expecting the second coat to seal the ink, but not the initial coat before printing. I suppose it needs sealing on both sides of the ink, if that makes sense?

I'll do a bit more research - it's another week before the decal paper arrives!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Oops I’ve never used it I have only every used the Plasti-Kate type sealer which comes in a rattle can, I assumed that you would be able to spray it?

Iain 

Hey Matt

Just for info this is the stuff I've used. I printed the image onto the decal paper then sealed with this and it behaved just like a professionally produced decal..

50820867322_73bf649ff4_b.jpg

HTH

Iain

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have liquid decal film.I usually use it only on decal sheets that are quite old or have some small tears in the motives.I always brushpainted it as it seems to be too thick to be sprayed and I have not found any info if it can be thinned.

If I print decals,I use clear gloss coat from spray cans.They always worked for me.

This I also tried and as its water based,its not agressive.Its actually for sealing self printed photos,so I thought this should work also on decals,and it does.The good thing is,that it dries after 15 mins.

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice about the various products used to seal decals - very helpful! 👍

Unfortunately I'm still not at the stage of needing to seal them - I can't print them properly at the moment...! :wall:

The correct decal paper was delivered, loaded into the printer and a new sheet produced. Unfortunately it was unusable; this time due to dirty marks on the print:

dirty.jpg

You can also see my amateurish attempts at using Photoshop! The size of the decal on the top of the fin has been extended. It looks rough, but should be large enough - if only I was able to print them out to my satisfaction... In the meantime, I will continue to chase Philippe at F-DCAL and see if I can get hold of him for the proper replacements. I know @Alex1978 has had a decal issue recently, with no response to his emails either. Hopefully it's nothing serious...

The engines are sealed and attached to the wings and I have popped the main components together loosely to see how it looks:

rough.jpg

It certainly has potential - the fuselage decals should really bring it to life. That will be my next job, followed by windows and then final assembly of the last few bits.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Looks great already.

As you mentioned,there is no response whatsoever from f-dcal still.

No idea whats wrong over there.I also hope everything is well with Philippe.

But I must also confess,that this is not the first time I experience this with him.

On one occasion I had to wait 6 ! months for a replacement decal set,as he had sent me the wrong scale.

For my -SP build though,Ray from 26decals 👍offered his help and sent me one of his sets for my -SP.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Coming right along, Matt, it will look just great. 

Thanks Dennis.

1 hour ago, Alex1978 said:

On one occasion I had to wait 6 ! months for a replacement decal set,as he had sent me the wrong scale.

I’m hoping the delay won’t be that long, but it’s already nudging 6 weeks...

You could always mask and paint the tail design Matt..... :whistle:

OK, who threw my :coat: at me, I can take a hint.... :door:

Keith

(seriously, hope you can sort the decal problem one way or another soon, as I'm looking forward to seeing the queen in all her glory :) 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 21:03, keefr22 said:

You could always mask and paint the tail design Matt..... :whistle:

The most ridiculous suggestion I've ever seen Keith! 🤣 Having said that, I know at least one person who attempted that task - I think I'll stick with decals!

Talking of which, still no response from F-DCAL :sad: so I'm exploring the home-made option just in case I need it... Attempt two was better, but still smudging slightly. I've spoken to Chris at Mr. Decal Paper who was very helpful, so hopefully I'll have something useable soon!

In the meantime, back on about page 12 of this thread @71chally posted some great photos showing the pylon to wing fairings on the outboard engines. Here's my attempt to replicate those with milliput. Not perfect by any means, but better than nothing and should look more realistic when painted grey:

1.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 9