Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Unfortunately I have to report that 'VP is no more, being finally destroyed today.

That was very quick - she only arrived on 21st September... Farewell, VPšŸ˜„

To quote the words of Jeffrey Fry, which for me sums up the 747:Ā ā€œDo not grieve when something good ends, be glad that it happened.ā€

Many years, many memories, fantastic flights.
Ā 

Enough sentiment; Iā€™d better crack on with this tribute build!

• Like 2

No photos tonight, but everything has beenĀ sanded (again!) and filler reapplied where necessary. Tomorrow should see the final sanding (Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve said that before), followed by primer. If all looks good, I can progress to painting the wings, tail and engines.

Ā 

Might be a good time to start looking at the undercarriage too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

To quote the words of Jeffrey Fry, which for me sums up the 747:Ā ā€œDo not grieve when something good ends, be glad that it happened.ā€

...nicely put.

Ā 

I have plenty of close shots of the wing to body shapes (which are so different to 100-300s) if you need them, but looks to me like you have it well sorted Matt.Ā  Actually if you need pics of anythingĀ else just shout.

Ā 

Looking forward to the updated pics.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Actually if you need pics of anythingĀ else just shout.

Hi James. Thanks again for all your help.šŸ‘Ā Pictures showing the engine pylons would be really useful please - there is a significant difference betweenĀ inboard and outboard attachment points, as shown below in my rather rubbish picture:

Ā 

kink.jpg

Ā 

The outboard pylon extends past the leading edge and just touches the upper wing surface. The inboard pylons join directly onto the underside of the wing. The kit inboard pylons look fine, but when they tried to replicate the outer pylons it just didn't look right, so I sanded the detail off so I could start again from scratch... Any close ups of this area would be great, thanks!Ā šŸ™‚

Ā 

I have glued some short sections of paper clip into the wing, to act as location markers for the engines. It should also help hold them in place!

pins2.jpg

Ā 

The fit is actually very good for once, without needing any adjustments. Here are the pods, just pushed loosely into place:

Ā 

uside.jpg

Ā 

The short shot engine is the one shown lower right. Since taking the photo I have sanded this back, so primer is next to check for any final blemishes.

• Like 7

The engine pylons always strike me as more complicated in shape than at first glance, they are different from each other and there are some odd curves in there, also the outboard ones haveĀ a flat inner edge where it meets the wing, to give clearance to the Krugar flap.

I won't post all the images here, but you should be able to view them on my album, here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56270329@N08/with/50563465623/

Ā 

50564346177_c7caf4f580_h.jpgDSC_0288 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Ā 

You're coming on really well there though Matt, the engines and pylons, it looks like you getting over the hump of the build now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good. Itā€™s still making me twitch that youā€™re painting before you put the wings on but Iā€™m also looking forward to you proving my twitch unfounded. šŸ¤—Totally making me want to build something of a similar ilk. šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ™Œ

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

You're coming on really well there though Matt, the engines and pylons, it looks like you getting over the hump of the build now!

It does feel that way! Thanks very much for the photos - the pylon shape is more complex than I realised...šŸ˜«

Ā 

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm looking forward to painting those spirals in 1/200 scale....!!

Iā€™m dreading that in 1/144!
Ā 

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking good. Itā€™s still making me twitch that youā€™re painting before you put the wings on but Iā€™m also looking forward to you proving my twitch unfounded. šŸ¤—Totally making me want to build something of a similar ilk. šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ™Œ

Thanks Johnny. Sorry for causing a twitch! šŸ™‚ Hopefully unfounded; I should find out soon...!

Get an airliner in the bench - you know you want to!šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Everything has been primed and surprise surprise, there are still a couple of minor areas needing work... Iā€™ll pop some photos up lateršŸ‘

• Like 3

Firstly a huge thanks to @Turbofan, who posted these:

Ā 

vp.jpg

Ā 

Cheers Ian, much appreciated!šŸ‘Ā The postman also delivered some 2mm Tamiya masking tape, so work on the demarcation line can begin...

Ā 

After priming, the model looks good, except for the leading edge on one wing:

Ā 

holes.jpg

Ā 

Nothing major, but a bit more work required!Ā I will be using Alclad on the leading edgesĀ and my limitedĀ experienceĀ has shown that surfaces have to be perfectly smooth!

• Like 5

G-CIVC is the latest victim.

Ā 

Bit of an unusual position seeing anĀ aircraft take off from a different airfield, conduct it's whole flight,Ā and then arrive at the airfield you're on just 16 minutes later.

Ā 

50572939393_fa6932bf7a_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-CIVC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Departing Cardiff

Ā 

50573816837_a4643d9e42_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-CIVC British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

...and, at St Athan.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Bit of an unusual position seeing anĀ aircraft take off from a different airfield, conduct it's whole flight,Ā and then arrive at the airfield you're on just 16 minutes later.

Ā 

Your comment had me wondering and so I just looked it up on Planefinder, and I get what you mean! Looking at Runway alignment from Rhoose, looks like a big wide turn south then west, then back a bit north of eastĀ to line up for landing at St Athan. No higher than 3,750' the whole trip. Must have been very impressive!Ā 

Ā 

Great pictures yet again James.

Ā 

Terry

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Firstly a huge thanks to @Turbofan, who posted these:

I have also been the recipient of Ian's generosity a while back. BM is a great community!

Ā 

Loving the progress on your 747 Matt.

Ā 

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I hadnā€™t realised that you could see CWL from DGX! Great shots James,Ā as ever, with perfect sunlight.šŸ‘

Ā 

It would have been a quick flight if the other runway directionsĀ were in use!

Pretty damn close, the runway extended centrelines actually cross each other, so there can an awful lot of coordination involved between the two airfields.

Ā 

The only large aircraft I've seen attempt a CDF 30 direct Saints 25 approach was a 737, and man did they have to haul that around the bend, must have been just enough time to change the flap settings!

Ā 

Here's the view the other way around,

50574175607_a1ff4c7651_h.jpgSt Athan from Roose by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

I spent an hour sanding various components this morning, ready for another blast of primer to check for any areas needing more work. I think they will be OK this time, but the primer usually reveals something that needs more attention!

Ā 

No pictures from me today, but I'm posting one below taken by @71challyĀ on Friday, showing G-CIVC's final landing. It's a cracking photo and one which I think should be shared for posterity!

Ā 

ivc.jpg

Ā 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'm late to this build, and to the affection for this wonderful airliner shown by so many here.Ā 

From 1992 to 2016 I flew the world for my employer, almost always BAĀ Business Class.Ā 

Upstairs in a 747-400 is a very special place, one I'll remember for many years. First, which I occasionally got as an upgrade, is nice, but I would never pay for it.Ā 

The 777 and 787 Business class cabins are nothing special.Ā 

Ā 

So, I'll hang on in here and look forward to the final result!Ā 

Ā 

One final memory: flying back from Moscow in a BA 767 we were an hour late leaving: the Captain assured me we would arrive on time as he had a dinner date with his wife. I asked him how: he said "we have a good tailwind and I don't buy the fuel". He later said that he was keeping the A/C at a power setting normally only used when there was a fierce headwind.... !!Ā Ā 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Upstairs in a 747-400 is a very special place, one I'll remember for many years. First, which I occasionally got as an upgrade, is nice, but I would never pay for it.Ā 

I'll second that! I've had many similar experiences. The best!

Ā 

Terry

• Like 1

On 08/11/2020 at 18:44, 224 Peter said:

The 777 and 787 Business class cabins are nothing special.Ā 

Ā 

So, I'll hang on in here and look forward to the final result!

Thanks Peter. I think most Club passengers preferred the upper deck - it was certainly very civilised up there! As for your experience on the delayed Moscow, I really couldnā€™t comment! šŸ¤ IĀ hope you enjoy the rest of the build - it feels like the end isĀ getting closer. Everything is finally blemish free and if the weather is suitable tomorrow IĀ will get some AlcladĀ on the wings, tailplane, pylons and engines. šŸ‘

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

The weather was suitable for airbrushing today, so I cracked open the Alclad - what a great product!Ā šŸ™‚

Ā 

I masked the tail finĀ to paint the leading edge, using 'polished aluminium':

Ā 

fin.jpg

Ā 

I also sprayed the leading edges of the wings, tailplane and engine pylons the same colour:

Ā 

lead.jpg

Ā 

tp.jpg

Ā 

pylons.jpg

Ā 

They certainly look like polished metal in the flesh - they are veryĀ shiny! I think some subtle weathering will solve that issue...

Ā 

Tomorrow sees the next 747 head off on its final flight. G-CIVU this time, bound for St. Athan.šŸ˜¦

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 5