Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

On 10/20/2020 at 12:09 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

am now working on the RB211 engines

Progress! Am paying particular attention to the RB211s to see how close I got with my scratched attempt. Am also curious to see if the wings will be attached after the paint.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

A cinema! Better than the wrecking yard I suppose.

I’ll take a cinema over the wrecking option any day. There’s something very depressing about seeing aircraft you’ve flown broken into thousands of small fragments.☹️

Nothing practical done to this model today, other than experimenting with 1mm plasticard! I’ve decided against trying to re-jig the wings. I think that will be a step too far for my level of competence...! 

• Like 3

Heard from my mate who works in the breakers last night that Saints are expecting a BA 744 next Friday and then one for the next 4 Fridays after that - with the last one being the BOAC retrojet, which is to be permanently displayed there! Really hope that does come to fruition!

Keith

On 27/10/2020 at 20:55, Glen said:

I hope she lasts a while at Dunsfold. I was surprised to see that she had been moved there considering that they are still trying to build a couple of thousand houses on the airfield.

Hi Glen. A bit of a surprise for me too, but I believe if the village goes ahead there will be an aviation heritage centre build as part of the plan. Hopefully that would keep the aircraft preserved indefinitely.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Heard from my mate who works in the breakers last night that Saints are expecting a BA 744 next Friday and then one for the next 4 Fridays after that - with the last one being the BOAC retrojet, which is to be permanently displayed there! Really hope that does come to fruition!

I've seen something similar posted online, but do not know how accurate it is. Great news though if it is true!👍

A little more progress today. I could not get the starboard wing to fit very well and had to open up the slot in the fuselage slightly. Once that was done it slid into place perfectly, but there is a slight mismatch at the leading edge where it joins the fuselage. I will need to build this up my 1 or 2mm, to produce a tidy finish - essential if the wings are being attached at the end after painting - fettling at that late stage will not be an option!

root.jpg

My two airliners will get a bit more attention now, as all my GB entries are all finally finished.👍

• Like 7

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

- with the last one being the BOAC retrojet, which is to be permanently displayed there! Really hope that does come to fruition!

It's out there then!  That is the plan, and it is indeed great news!

Excellent work there Matt, really seems to have come along now that fuselage looks ready and the wing are are slotted on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 71chally said:

It's out there then! 

Well he told everybody in our model club virtual meeting last night, so if it was a secret it's not anymore...!! :)

And I agree that's great progress Matt, coming along really well!

Keith

• Like 1

It's ok Keith, there has been a bit about it on social media aswel.  It's fantastic news though, especially to have her right on my doorstep.

'VP has literally just entered the demolition area, I fear she won't be there at the end of the day, unless she puts up a good fight.

So the survivors so far are G-CIVB (retro Negus red tail) at Kemble, G-CIVW (standard Union flag) at Dunsfold and hopefully G-BYGC (retro BOAC) at St. Athan.👍

We just need a home for G-BNLY now, the Landor retro jet, then one in each livery has been preserved.

Sad to hear about G-CIVP, I think she’ll be gone before her tribute model is finished!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I fear she won't be there at the end of the day, unless she puts up a good fight.

Someone asked Sam how long it takes to 'reclaim' a 744, he said that as there's absolutely no demand for spares for them anymore they're literally just smashing them to pieces, so he reckoned less than two days.... :(

Keith

• Sad 2

Certainly 'VE didn't last that long.

Current dispositions that I know of are,

G-BNLY (Landor retro), G-BYGC (BOAC retro), 'GD, 'GG, G-CIVC, and 'VU airworthy at Cardiff.

G-CIVI, 'IVK, 'IVP, 'IVY here at Saints.

G-CIVF and 'VZ at Newquay.

G-CIVW at Dunsfold

G-BYGB, 'GE, 'GF, G-CIVB (Negus Retro), 'VJ, 'VL, 'VN and 'VO at Kemble (unsure on status of many of these)

G-CIVD Castellon

I really hope G-BNLY is preserved aswel (look great at Duxford with the other airliners), she is in my favourite BA scheme and looks so different with that light grey top

50523751678_0903fe07e7_b.jpg

Boeing 747s British Airways Cardiff Airport by James Thomas, on Flickr

50538148116_01418df367_b.jpg

Boeing 747 -436 G-BNLY British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the ongoing progress from Matt, I have seen kits made of aircraft flown by their builders, but never one as big as this!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I really hope G-BNLY is preserved aswel (look great at Duxford with the other airliners), she is in my favourite BA scheme and looks so different with that light grey top

They all look great don't they. I guess my favourite is the BOAC scheme - showing my age there!

Great photos again James.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I guess my favourite is the BOAC scheme

And for a full set, mine's the Negus! 

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Certainly 'VE didn't last that long.

Perhaps Sam had a day off that day! :)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Back in the Saddle - Matt, I spent a fair bit of time googling for a good overhead pic of IVB (which I'm plodding along building from a Hasegawa 1/200 kit) which showed the sat comms antenna dome (I think it is!) atop the fuselage. I don't know if they were the same on every jet, but just in case and you need a photo too, this is a really good pic of her at Kemble, which also shows the upper wing colours well;

https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-747_G-CIVB_british-airways_370252_large.html

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great couple of photos again James, thanks for sharing.👍

To add to your list, IVH and IVV are also at Castellon, presumably for scrapping.😢

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

in case and you need a photo too, this is a really good pic of her at Kemble, which also shows the upper wing colours well;

Thanks Keith, that will be useful for the wing colours - I'm not sure if the aerial fit was different 20 years ago. I'd have to check!

I smeared some milliput on the leading edges of the wing roots this afternoon:

milli.jpg

Far too much filler, but I prefer to start that way and then sand it back, rather than having to mix up more and add to it later. I need to smooth the transition curve to the fuselage and build the leading edge up by about 2mm.

I also had a delivery in the post, from France:

newdec.jpg

Far better quality than the original set I have, and also includes quite a few bits that were missing previously, such as the artist's signature (bottom right on the sheet). One thing that does seem to be absent is the registration letters for the nose gear doors, but ironically they are included on the old set of decals, albeit in the corner with the multitude of creases - they may or may not be useable... I've ordered some decal paper, just in case, so will venture into the world of home made decals soon!

I will have a sanding session on the wings once the filler has set, then it will be time for more primer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad that you splashed out and got the new decals, all that hard work deserves a decent final finish that hopefully these will bring.  I wonder if they have left of the nose door letters because they couldn't print white?  I know some airliner decals are like that, but could be wrong.

Fantastic top side view that Keith posted of 'VB.

• Like 1

Those decals do look the biz.

48 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I wonder if they have left of the nose door letters because they couldn't print white? 

I think James could have a point re printing white on the decals, although I'd have thought F-Decal would be OK with that? Your back up plan for doing home made white letters might be flawed I fear, unless you have an Alps printer? I'm pretty sure that printing white on inkjet and laser printers isn't possible?

Terry

PS. You could use white decal paper and print the surrounding area blue I guess, but matching the blue would be a challenge?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I wonder if they have left of the nose door letters because they couldn't print white?  I know some airliner decals are like that, but could be wrong.

You could be right James, but the old decals (which I believe are an early incarnation of the new ones), definitely have the white 'VP' letters printed on them. Whether or not they are useable is another matter...

7 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

PS. You could use white decal paper and print the surrounding area blue I guess, but matching the blue would be a challenge?

That is my backup plan Terry, but as you say, matching the blue will be a challenge. Plan A is to try the old, creased decals for these letters and see if they work!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

You could be right James, but the old decals (which I believe are an early incarnation of the new ones), definitely have the white 'VP' letters printed on them. Whether or not they are useable is another matter...

Ah, they are laser printed.  Like Terry, I believe these can't replicate white (unlike screen printed), had a conversation about this recently on here somewhere. I have a set for a SAA 747 and basically anything white has to be applied over white, ie for the white tail flash the whole fin has to painted white and then the orange decals placed on in such a way that they leave the flash in place.  However, they did come with a small section of screen printed decal for the white nose gear door letters.

Hi James. The decals are laser printed, so I guess that explains the lack of white decals! 

Thanks for the link Keith, but not needed - @Turbofan has very kindly offered to help out with some spare decals from his stash. Thank you Ian, very much appreciated!

Another small update... I have attacked those huge lumps of milliput, which now look much more presentable:

lh.jpg

rh.jpg

There is still some more blending to be done and I think I might have to tack the wings on loosely to finish off the wing roots - they are very graceful curves in reality. I also need to sand and polish the landing light covers.

I attacked the flap canoe fairings tonight too, which are now approximately the correct shape - some filler and final sanding to make the contours smoother is all that is needed:

canoes2.jpg

It feels like its coming together a bit more tonight, although there is still a fair bit to do!

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I have attacked those huge lumps of milliput

It would appear that you’ve got the measure of those troublesome -400 wings.  Nice work!

Dennis