Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I now notice on this thread, and some others (but not all) that the "Not Secure" warning on the URL window at the top is displaying. Is this something to do with the picture source I wonder? @Mike any ideas?

That's how it should be.  Just to warn the user, but more likely terrify the average user in truth.  Not much we can do about it, so really speaking it's down to the individual to secure their hosts if they're using personal webspace.  Almost all the commercial hosts have https now, with the exception of one, which I think is village.photo?  Could be wrong, but I was talking to someone about it the other day. :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

For some reason Matt your pictures aren't opening for me

Same here James, but if I right click on the non opening pics, and then 'open image in new tab' they show up on Matt's website. (that's on Chrome, don't know about other browsers)

Some good progress being made Matt.

Keith

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's how it should be.  Just to warn the user,

Thought that might be the case, and yes I'm sure it will terrify many!

The most important thing I forgot to mention Matt, is the excellent progress on the 747!

Terry

Oh blimey what have I started.

The site is showing as secure for me and I can see other pictures in this thread and in other threads, just not the ones Matt has posted.

This is the same on a phone or on different PCs including at work, so I'm guessing it's down to the picture host site.

I have tried Keith's right click trick and that works, so I can see Matt's lovely work again!

• Like 2

Right, update time...! Fingers crossed the images show as planned.🤞

The locating pins for the engine pylons are almost non-existent and certainly won't help with getting the alignment correct when I try to attach the engines. I've added the arrows to help show the tiny pins:

tiny.jpg

I drilled the pins out and will use little sections of paper clips to secure and align the engine pods:

pins.jpg

I have also started work on the flap canoes, as you can see above. They need to be slightly higher. Here's a better view:

sheet.jpg

Once these have set, I will trim, fill and shape as required to get them looking better. I will also thin the trailing edges down a bit more!

• Like 7

I can see the pics too. Wonderful update. Precarious placement for your spraying. Weren’t you afraid that you would blow the thing off the post into next doors garden? 😱😱😱

That was primer? are you painting before the wings go on?

so many questions. 🤗

Johnny

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 12:09 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

am now working on the RB211 engines

Progress!  Mounting problem solved.  Am paying particular attention to the RB211s to see how close I got with my scratched attempt.  And, like Johnny, am also curious to see if the wings will be attached after the fuselage is painted.   Another airliner modellers like to attach them before as they are useful as handles when painting the fuselage.

Dennis

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Weren’t you afraid that you would blow the thing off the post into next doors garden? 😱😱😱

I was slightly concerned😆 but picked a day when the wind was light! The rattle can did move it about a bit, but nothing too serious - I much prefer to do this outside due to the fumes...😷

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That was primer? are you painting before the wings go on?

That was the final white gloss coat. I am getting the fuselage completed, then attaching the wings and tailplane at the end. It makes painting easier for me as I get better access to all areas with the model in sections. It also reduces the masking required.👍 I just hope it works - it might need some fettling but I think it will be OK.😁

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Another airliner modellers like to attach them before as they are useful as handles when painting the fuselage.

I hadn’t thought of that! I could use the fin as a fuselage handle, but need to do with something similar with the wings when I am handling those... I’ll think of something!

I’ve started to tidy up the canoe fairings, but they are not worthy of a photo just yet. Instead, here’s a YouTube clip showing G-CIVW arriving at Dunsfold for preservation a couple of days ago. It’s always good to hear that one is escaping from the scrap man! 😉

This clip shows an approach, go around, visual circuit and final landing and is really rather good:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This clip shows an approach, go around, visual circuit and final landing and is really rather good:

That really is good! Not a lot of runway for a 747 surely?

Terry

• Like 1

Was the go-around for a sighting look at the runway - or did the crew just fabcy a last few minutes in that lovely jet?! :)

Nice video indeed. For such a big aeroplane she looked really graceful in the circuit and I think the 400's with RB211's were the best looking of all 747's....

Keith

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Was the go-around for a sighting look at the runway - or did the crew just fabcy a last few minutes in that lovely jet?! :)

It's certainly unusual (unique even?) for any of these final BA 747 flights to have done that, great to see, and hopefully can be repeated at St Athan!

This was G-CIVF departing for Newquay today,

50528984206_cf4837fc0e_h.jpgBoeing 747 -436 G-CIVF British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 24/10/2020 at 18:15, Terry1954 said:

Not a lot of runway for a 747 surely?

Not a huge amount, but 16 brake units and an empty aircraft stop quite well!

On 24/10/2020 at 20:41, keefr22 said:

I don't know the reason, but the airline's policy is to go around if you are not happy with any aspect of the approach. That is particularly important with a limited runway length, but the policy applies on all landings - it's always a safer option to go around and make another approach.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

This was G-CIVF departing for Newquay today,

Another stunner James! 👍

I primed the engines today and they look better than I expected:

pods3.jpg

A few minor gaps to fill and then a coat of white primer awaits!

• Like 7

Thanks Matt, I've been waiting forever to get a reasonable take-off shot and today everything aligned, I wasn't at work, it was a runway 30 dep, sun was in the right place, and there were lovely cloudscapes, so well chuffed.  My friend at Newquay got a nice shot of it landing with a rainbow behind it.

Those engines and pylons look very good, they look to be the stronger part of the kit actually.  You've done a great job joining them and prepping them.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Hi Matt,

Just catching up with your build and you're doing a grand job. I would recommend you fix the wings before painting the fuselage though as the leading edge, where it joins the wbf, needs to be a very smooth transition which the  kit isn't as I recall. Also the kit wing to fuselage joint doesn't match with the change from the aluminium leading edge to BA blue on the actual aeroplane. Hope that makes sense!

Another easy improvement is to thicken up the walls of the engine intakes. OOB they are far too thin, this is an easy job with some 1mm plastic sheet rolled into a tube and glued into the intake then faired in at the front with some Milliput.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 4