Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

On 17/09/2020 at 10:54, 71chally said:

do you ever get over to Saints?

Not for many years tbh James, I think the last time was to see the final departure of a RAF VC-10 after deep maintenance (- so quite a while now! It's not the same on the outside of the fence! 

21 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I was chosen to join the operating crew, but it will be great to have a final flight on the 747.

That's excellent news Matt, but I suspect it might be a bittersweet last landing.... :) Enjoy the flight!

Keith

On 9/17/2020 at 10:40 AM, keefr22 said:

Another due Saturday I believe. Where are they parking them all?!

On 9/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

I can probably answer that after Monday! 😁

...plenty of room!

50360583182_443788848b_k.jpgView by James Thomas, on Flickr

@keefr22, I don't know if youve been near the place recently but there's a brand new road on the northern perimeter of the airfield, which serves the Aston Martin factory and the South Wales Aircraft Museum, you get a cracking view from there of the arrivals taxing and parking on Echo, or the disused as we used to know it as.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

but there's a brand new road on the northern perimeter of the airfield, which serves the Aston Martin factory and the South Wales Aircraft Museum

Didn't know that, thanks James! We were talking of having a model club trip down to SWAM, but a few of us are still a bit nervous of travelling at the moment. My mate at the breakers is supposed to give me a heads up when he knows the ETA of Monday's 74 arrival, if he remembers I might make a solo trip up!

Apologies Matt for this OT discussion :)

Keith

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

...give me a heads up when he knows the ETA of Monday's 74 arrival,

It's due in 10:45L Keith.  If it was me I would  pitch up near the old bridge to the south of the airfield to watch it flying in, and then make my way around to the northern road to see it on Echo.

You can park in the entrance to Picketston for that and then walk down to either right behind Echo on an access road or watch from the wide pavement on the new road.

Apologies to Matt also!

• Like 1

Here's G-CIVP over the Avonmouth area just before 11:00. Apologies for the slightly fuzzy look, I was shooting towards the sun and as usual there's a lot of haze in that direction when there's only a small amount of wind.

resized_1086f32c-f8fd-491e-bb63-0d0a0a38

I've also cropped it to remove the rather large blue border 😀

Looking forward to seeing Chally71's photos of the final landing and Matt's progress on her mini-me.

Jonathan

• Like 5

4 hours ago, XV571 said:

Here's G-CIVP over the Avonmouth area just before 11:00. Apologies for the slightly fuzzy look, I was shooting towards the sun and as usual there's a lot of haze in that direction when there's only a small amount of wind.

No apologies needed, that’s a very clear shot considering the haze! Thanks for sharing it👍

4 hours ago, XV571 said:

Looking forward to seeing Chally71's photos of the final landing and Matt's progress on her mini-me.

Progress has stopped temporarily... However on the way to work I bought a can of grey primer, so it should resume again shortly!

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

G-CIVP made a perfect touch down at 11:15, great to meet Matt at long last!

And it was great to meet you too James. Thanks for your hospitality and photography!👍

Back at Heathrow now after a memorable day. Tomorrow I shall return to this build...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

I've had a look at the decals I hope to use and they are creased in one corner:

crease.jpg

Would a spray with liquid decal film be likely to save that area? Alternatively I could scan them and reprint onto fresh decal paper... Or perhaps try both methods and see what works best!

Any opinions welcome!

That decal doesn’t look too bad old boy. Maybe cut off the worst bit at the top and give it a soak in warm water and see how it lifts off. The bottom will be fine so just testing the water with the top you can see what the damage is then let it dry again on the backing sheet. I reckon you’ll be ok with that. You do have micro sol and set don’t you? 

Johnny

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Another beautiful shot James!

What Terry said!

On 20/09/2020 at 11:28, 71chally said:

It's due in 10:45L Keith.

Thanks James, unfortunately with losing e-mail notifications from BM I'm slow on catching up with threads so missed your post - my mate in the breakers e-mailed me the time too, but thanks to more ineptitude from Outlook, that didn't arrive until 14.21....!! The railway bridge was where I was hoping to head for! 

Hope Matt doesn't mind a further excursion off topic. Dennis @DMC asked for the diameter of an RB211 cowl opening. Said mate in the breakers has finally had chance to get at one with a tape measure and says 'the intake diameter is 320cm to the centre of the forward radius'. Now I have to admit I'm not entirely (no, actually not at all!) sure about what he means by that! So I've asked him if he can clarify it for a simpleton like me! 

Keth

• Like 2

On 21/09/2020 at 22:16, The Spadgent said:

That decal doesn’t look too bad old boy. Maybe cut off the worst bit at the top and give it a soak in warm water and see how it lifts off. The bottom will be fine so just testing the water with the top you can see what the damage is then let it dry again on the backing sheet. I reckon you’ll be ok with that. You do have micro sol and set don’t you? 

Thanks Johnny, I will give that a try. I will apply the decals at an earlier stage than normal, to see how they go on. If I get any problems I can come up with a plan B. Plenty of Micro Sol/Set available if needed!

No photos today, it's still a sanding/filling/priming project and there's not much to see! I am hopeful that the gloss white will go on later this week - which will be a huge milestone in this build.

Finally some more self indulgence. Two YouTube clips of G-CIVP's final flight. Firstly the departure from LHR:

Followed by the arrival at St. Athan:

Being on her final flight was without doubt the most poignant moment of my aviation career so far - it was great to have one final trip in the 747, but difficult to accept that it will never happen again...

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

...the arrival at St. Athan:

Being on her final flight was without doubt the most poignant moment of my aviation career so far - it was great to have one final trip in the 747, but difficult to accept that it will never happen again...

I spent time last night looking for a video of the final landing, so I'm glad you found that Matt.

It is so sad to see these beasts of the air making their final landings, I adore the Boeing 747, it's always been there, properly revolutionary on so many levels, the poster jet of the 1970s, still looks damned handsome, but it's only recently that I've had the (somewhat tainted) pleasure of working closely with them.

It must be so hard for the aircrews to lose them, and today I learned how sad it is for the maintenance teams to lose the type aswel.

• Like 3

On 23/09/2020 at 19:09, DMC said:

Poignant indeed, doubt I could have kept it together.

Can't deny I may have had a minor wobble at one point!😢

On 26/09/2020 at 22:27, keefr22 said:

My friend in the breakers told me they're expecting another next week which they believe will be the last ever BA 74 departure from LHR? Sad days indeed....

There are two aircraft left at LHR. G-CIVY (standard Union flag scheme) and G-CIVB (Negus/red tail). I'm not sure when they are leaving.

I have finally (I hope!) finished blending the windscreens and polishing them to remove the scratches:

blended.jpg

The next stage is masking them and spraying more primer over the entire fuselage. I think at long last I'm almost ready for the gloss coat...! 🥳

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I think at long last I'm almost ready for the gloss coat...! 🥳

Good! Looking forward to see how you get on with that.

Dennis

That's looking great Matt, definitely got that windscreen to nose shape just right I would say.

Photo's of models during construction can be a bit disheartening (certainly with mine!), but they can also be very useful for showing up small details or blemishes that need sorting.

My camera let me down for 'VKs arrival to Saints on Saturday, the battery just literally stopped working even after charging - you can only imagine the language!!

Saw 'VV departing Cardiff for Castellon earlier today, and VP is due to us early this week.  The numbers are definitely dwindling.

'VB is the one retro that I haven't photographed, so I'm hoping it will come to us, however it will be a bitter sweet moment if it does.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

That's looking great Matt, definitely got that windscreen to nose shape just right I would say.

Photo's of models during construction can be a bit disheartening (certainly with mine!), but they can also be very useful for showing up small details or blemishes that need sorting.

Cheers James. The macro photo certainly helps show areas needed work!😆

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

My camera let me down for 'VKs arrival to Saints on Saturday, the battery just literally stopped working even after charging - you can only imagine the language!!

Saw 'VV departing Cardiff for Castellon earlier today, and VP is due to us early this week.  The numbers are definitely dwindling.

'VB is the one retro that I haven't photographed, so I'm hoping it will come to us, however it will be a bitter sweet moment if it does.

I'm glad the camera worked the day we arrived. I can imagine the frustration that failure caused... VV is now at Castellon and I'm not aware of the next disposal flight. There are still a few 747's at Cardiff, plus the two at LHR already mentioned. I hope something is done with the retro liveries - it would be good if one or two could be saved.

I sprayed some primer this afternoon and it doesn't look too bad:

primed.jpg

I have now filled the pinholes and will gently rub it back tomorrow once the filler has hardened.👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...