Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

..damit, missed the documentary too!

Mind you I had another 747 to watch in glorious technicolour earlier, the arrival of G-CIVI.

50323794983_0558b4e5fb_b.jpg

Boeing 747 -436 G-CIVI British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Excellent work going on Matt, I think you are wise to fit the windscreen now to help get the nose profile right.

Airliner kits always seem to be a bad fit and harder subsequently builds, but you are doing well.

• Like 5

Thanks Keith, no this one came from Heathrow.  We have had one from CDF in the past and yes it was s very short flight, I have a picture of its departure from there and it's arrival at Saints, taken from the same place!

Two of the CDF 747s have flown to Kemble, and I am hearing that they might go on to a new life, which will be great news if true.

Theres a good Norman Foster 747 docu on BBC iPlayer, from 1991, is that the one on BBC4 tonight.

• Like 2

Ironically I missed the programme too, but recorded it instead to watch another time.

That's a great shot of IVI's final landing. Here's one of the same aircraft I took a couple of years ago in Seattle:

ivi.jpg

Not entirely gratuitous, as it shows the nose and windscreens - an area that is currently demanding my attention. Here's the current state of play:

blend1.jpg

Getting better, but more work still required!

I have also discovered that white primer is not so good for highlighting blemishes, so once I've finished blending the windscreens it will all get a coat of grey again - at least each coat of primer makes the panel lines more subtle! When I'm happy with the finish, it will get a coat of white primer before I spray the final colours.

I have dry fitted the tailplanes and they are almost a perfect fit. The wings might need a little more attention - their fit is slightly too loose. My intention is to finish each component separately then join them all together once painted. I think that will make painting, stencilling and handling easier.

G-CIVO is the next one to head to the scrapyard, scheduled for this afternoon.🙁

• Like 6

Nice steady work there Matt, sounds a good plan about joining the wings.

and nice picture of VI in better days, she looked distinctly tired yesterday.  

I take it 'VO is going to Kemble or Spain? This is her last Thursday,

50312975113_1f3ca4dea9_b.jpg

Boeing 747 -436s G-CIVO, G-CIVF & G-CIVV British Airways by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Reading the BBC news on my iPad this morning I am amazed to read that 8000 jumbos will be needed to distribute the upcoming virus vaccine worldwide.  Mightn’t destroying all these 747s being just a little hasty?

Dennis

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

I take it 'VO is going to Kemble or Spain?

She's off to Kemble in about half an hour...

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Mightn’t destroying all these 747s being just a little hasty?

That thought crossed my mind too Dennis.

I'm just applying some more filler to the top of the windscreens, so I can have a fettle with them later!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Reading the BBC news on my iPad this morning I am amazed to read that 8000 jumbos will be needed to distribute the upcoming virus vaccine worldwide.  Mightn’t destroying all these 747s being just a little hasty?

Dennis

They've got to get a working vacine first - and I'd think it will take a while to make enough to fill 8000 747's....? Maybe they mean 8000 flights? And if you use military transports as well, they should take a chunk out of that? Fingers crossed....

Keith

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Maybe they mean 8000 flights?

No doubt you are right, Keith, 8000 flight sounds more realistic.  Had to dash out before I could read it and when I returned it had been removed.  

5 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

My intention is to finish each component separately then join them all together

And you can bet I will be paying very close attention to see how you make out with that before I cement my wings on.

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Hi James @71chally,

Any of these 747s with RR RB211s?  

Dennis

Yes Dennis, the BA 747s, ie -436s, are unique in being powered by the RB211-524H engine.

It will be good news if some of these aircraft (I believe the newer G-BY.. ones) find new owners as being suggested at the moment, but very unusual in that another operator will be using these engines.

The earlier BA -236s used the RB211-524D.

• Like 1

Well, in a previous post, you mentioned photos.  I wonder if you might be able to get me the diameter of an RB211 cowlopening.

A tale order I imagine but it would be most useful.  I’ll explain why in another reply.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I wonder if you might be able to get me the diameter of an RB211 cowlopening.

If James can't, I have a friend who works for the company breaking up these beauties, can't promise he'd be able but I'll ask if he can get it for you.

Keith

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'll ask if he can get it for you

The reason behind my request is I want to have a go at scratch building an RB211.  The fan, apparently, is 86.3” and no doubt the cowl diameter must be close to that.  Given this measurement I can work out dimensions of the rest of the engine.  I realise there are resin kits to buy but I’d like to scratch one myself.  

So, really, any information would be useful.

Cheers

Dennis

I had forgotten that both of those airlines had a mix of RB211 and CF6 or PW4000 powered -400s, You are correct Keith, they are designated as Gs but I believe they are essentially the same engine.

I can probably get access to measure an engine, but actually doing it will be something else.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2