Aircraft I've Flown Part I - A Tribute to the Mighty 747-436

On 18/08/2020 at 23:09, The Spadgent said:

And that’s how it starts. 🤣

It arrived in the post today and it looks great, but it’s going in the stash for now... too many models on the go! 😂

On 18/08/2020 at 23:13, keefr22 said:

Good progress on beating those seams into submission so far Matt!

Thanks Keith - still ongoing!

On 19/08/2020 at 10:16, keefr22 said:

PS, didn't get the job, maybe because my tummy was rumbling so much in the interview! 🤣  

At least you had a great day out!

On 19/08/2020 at 18:01, Jonners said:

All this effort will pay off when the top coat is applied.

I hope so Jon! 👍

On 19/08/2020 at 19:37, tomprobert said:

Good to see the cockpit mod in progress - it’s a subtle difference but worth the effort  as it greatly improves the look of the whole cockpit area. 

Thanks Tom, I think it will be worth it - otherwise it’s just an empty void behind the windscreens...

On 20/08/2020 at 21:08, heloman1 said:

I like what you are doing here.  and if I can ad some input.  Slice of masking tape down the joint line before applying the filler will save you lots of sanding. Thoswenwindow openings look very crude!!!

Thanks Colin, great tip👍

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

May be slightly satisfying for the 747 to know that it's younger brethren is also getting the chop

No, it’s never good seeing one head to the scrapyard...😕

G-CIVD was the first of the last BA 747’s to head off this week - more to follow imminently... Here’s some footage from the final flight:

I haven’t actually done any work on the model since Tuesday, but felt I should reply to the comments! 😁

Hopefully I’ll get something done with it over the weekend👍

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

jfk.jpg

If you look closely, JFK Airport can be seen at the top of the picture.

And Far Rockaway below and to the right.  I've flown out of JFK twice, once in an Air India 747-400 (only time ever in a 747) and once in an Aer Lingus A330-200.  I've a memory, though I don't trust it now, of looking out the window and seeing a battleship.  The reason I don't trust it is because I don't know if we would have flown as far inland as Camden NJ before heading across the Atlantic.

• Like 1

Sorry to see Matt, I can’t imagine experiencing what you are going through, I served 25 years in the Canadian Airforce, he only fleet retirements I saw were planned and we got new kit.

I work in the medical field now, so my employment has been secure.

i have a few friends who are with the airlines, most fly international routes (777 & 787) and I know it has been tough on them. Even the domestic guys are out of work.

Beautiful aircraft, sad to see her go. G-CIVD? I wonder if the bean counters selected that airframe due to COVID similarities?

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 00:12, 71chally said:

Planned for tomorrow originally, but the WX might scupper that.

I think she's due to move to EGDX at the weekend...🙁

On 22/08/2020 at 00:22, JosephLalor said:

The reason I don't trust it is because I don't know if we would have flown as far inland as Camden NJ before heading across the Atlantic.

It's definitely possible, especially if departing to the SW from runways 22L or 22R. It wouldn't take too long to get to Camden!

On 22/08/2020 at 00:23, Scooby said:

G-CIVD? I wonder if the bean counters selected that airframe due to COVID similarities?

Probably not, but there is a degree of irony with that particular registration being retired...

On 23/08/2020 at 09:09, Jur said:

Will any of the BA 747's be preserved at all?

I believe that discussions about this are being held, so fingers crossed🤞

So back to the build. It's been a bit quiet again, due to other jobs getting in the way... I have started to fill the trenches on the tail fin, using Mr. Surfacer 500. I eventually decided against @heloman1's advice regarding masking the panel lines first, simply because there are so many of them and they are close together - a blanket covering of filler and the associated extra sanding seemed to be the easier option:

pre.jpg

After sanding it looked like this:

post.jpg

I missed the inspection panels on the rudder, so will need to do those next time, as well as touching up a few other areas. A couple of low spots at the base of the rudder and fin were also discovered and these have now been rectified. Low spots were also noticed on the wings by @DMC during his build - something else I will need to look for. It's very useful having other modellers building similar kits and highlighting any potential pitfalls!

I will use a plastic drinking straw for the APU exhaust and this has been offered into place to see how well it fits - It looks promising so far👍.

Work on smoothing the belly is also ongoing. Here's the current state of play:

belly3.jpg

Almost time for some more primer to see if any fine tuning is required.👍

My final task is re-shaping the nose. I have built the profile up above the windscreen as recommended by @tomprobert, shown by the area next to the green dot:

nosep.jpg

I think the area below the windscreen also needs building up slightly - it looks a little concave in the area of the red dot...?

If @71chally could take a side profile shot of the real thing (pretty please!), that would be a huge help!

The panel lines on the fuselage are gradually disappearing under primer, so I may leave them in their more subtle state, rather than filling them entirely.

Once the basic fuselage shape is sorted, I just have to file all the windows!😬

• Like 7

Cracking progress Matt, nice steady and clean work going on.  The cockpit roof was well worth building up.

That step under the windscreen kinda looks right to me, but maybe needs a bit more definition to the step or something?.  It's easy to think that the nose comes up to meet a new line at the base of the windscreen, but actually the windscreen line extends downward a couple of feet beyond the base of the windscreen to meet the upper nose line, hope theses help

50275808696_4fbbc06314_b.jpg

Boeing 747 nose profile by James Thomas, on Flickr

50275125353_5dfa7e0d32_b.jpg

Boeing 747 cockpit profile by James Thomas, on Flickr

50275125263_d7359fd55d_b.jpg

Boeing 747 -436 G-BYGA & G-BYGE by James Thomas, on Flickr

Oh, and G-CIVM is looking a bit worse,

50271956848_86a4530aed_b.jpg

Boeing 747 -436 G-CIVM by James Thomas, on Flickr

Revell do appear to have got the lines and vents etc in the right places.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

It's definitely possible, especially if departing to the SW from runways 22L or 22R. It wouldn't take too long to get to Camden!

So I could have seen the 'Black Dragon' after all.  Thanks, that's nice to know.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Probably not, but there is a degree of irony with that particular registration being retired...

I believe that discussions about this are being held, so fingers crossed🤞

So back to the build. It's been a bit quiet again, due to other jobs getting in the way... I have started to fill the trenches on the tail fin, using Mr. Surfacer 500. I eventually decided against @heloman1's advice regarding masking the panel lines first, simply because there are so many of them and they are close together - a blanket covering of filler and the associated extra sanding seemed to be the easier option:

pre.jpg

After sanding it looked like this:

post.jpg

I missed the inspection panels on the rudder, so will need to do those next time, as well as touching up a few other areas. A couple of low spots at the base of the rudder and fin were also discovered and these have now been rectified. Low spots were also noticed on the wings by @DMC during his build - something else I will need to look for. It's very useful having other modellers building similar kits and highlighting any potential pitfalls!

I will use a plastic drinking straw for the APU exhaust and this has been offered into place to see how well it fits - It looks promising so far👍.

Work on smoothing the belly is also ongoing. Here's the current state of play:

belly3.jpg

Almost time for some more primer to see if any fine tuning is required.👍

My final task is re-shaping the nose. I have built the profile up above the windscreen as recommended by @tomprobert, shown by the area next to the green dot:

nosep.jpg

I think the area below the windscreen also needs building up slightly - it looks a little concave in the area of the red dot...?

If @71chally could take a side profile shot of the real thing (pretty please!), that would be a huge help!

The panel lines on the fuselage are gradually disappearing under primer, so I may leave them in their more subtle state, rather than filling them entirely.

Once the basic fuselage shape is sorted, I just have to file all the windows!😬

Hi Matt, I think you misunderstood me re masking the joint line, I meant on the nose. Would save you a lot of sanding. Re the fine, I use Tippex in a bottle with the ball point applicator. Squeeze and follow the lines, give it time to dry then sand across the panel line.

Colin

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 6:52 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

...she arrived, in true BA style on time.  With most of the stuff we get it's something if it arrives in the same month that it planned for.

50281948908_25f1154145_b.jpg

Boeing 777 -200 G-ZZZB by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 7

Sorry for the lack of updates recently - time to get back to this project!

On 27/08/2020 at 19:37, Paulaero said:

Are you not tempted by Authentic Airliners 3d window Matt ??

I wasn’t, but perhaps I should - getting the windows filed correctly is proving troublesome. I have a decal sheet up my sleeve in case I need it, but will persevere with trying to get them shaped correctly. I’d rather not fill them, but it’s still an option...

On 27/08/2020 at 19:58, 71chally said:

Cracking progress Matt, nice steady and clean work going on.  The cockpit roof was well worth building up.

That step under the windscreen kinda looks right to me, but maybe needs a bit more definition to the step or something?.  It's easy to think that the nose comes up to meet a new line at the base of the windscreen, but actually the windscreen line extends downward a couple of feet beyond the base of the windscreen to meet the upper nose line, hope theses help

Thanks James. I’m still working on the roof profile and that photo is a huge help - Revell’s shape under the windscreen doesn’t look too bad after all. 👍

G-CIVM is looking very sorry for herself. Two other 747’s have headed over to Kemble for disposal in the past few days...🙁

On 28/08/2020 at 06:04, Biggles87 said:

I think you’re winning with the rudder, I’m a big fan of Mr Surfacer 500 for panel filling.

Thanks John, I think I’m slowly winning that battle!

On 28/08/2020 at 10:37, heloman1 said:

Hi Matt, I think you misunderstood me re masking the joint line, I meant on the nose. Would save you a lot of sanding. Re the fine, I use Tippex in a bottle with the ball point applicator. Squeeze and follow the lines, give it time to dry then sand across the panel line.

Thanks Colin, you’re right - I had misunderstood. It happens more and more! Thanks for the tipped tip too, I think I’ll try that!

On 01/09/2020 at 08:03, The Spadgent said:

Steady progress sir. 👍🙌

Thanks Johnny. Hopefully a bit more progress soon...

I’ll post some pictures once there is a bit more to show.👍

• Like 2

Just found this thread. What a cracking build Matt. I've spent many many hours flying the world in BA 747's (and other types) as a passenger I hasten to add. My job sent me all over the place and for many years we had a BA only policy. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

I'll tag along from here.

Terry

• Like 2

On 07/09/2020 at 18:41, 71chally said:

would be hard to make her fly again now,

It didn't take long to destroy her...😒

My last flight on G-CIVM was in June last year, to and from Denver.

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice Job Matt !!

Well done !

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just found this thread. What a cracking build Matt. I've spent many many hours flying the world in BA 747's (and other types) as a passenger I hasten to add. My job sent me all over the place and for many years we had a BA only policy. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

I'll tag along from here.

Thanks Terry, you're most welcome. Glad you enjoyed your flights with us.👍

Another sanding session has just been completed. Tomorrow I will give the fuselage what I hope is the final coat of primer, just to see if I've caught all the blemishes:

prof.jpg

I will have to remove those two bits under the 6th window back from the nose. I'm not sure what they're meant to be, but they could possibly be pitot tubes? If so, they are completely inaccurate! I also need to work on the front passenger window on the upper deck - it needs more shaping to get it correct.

I think the nose profile around the windscreen now looks pretty accurate.👍

• Like 7

As promised, here's how it looks today:

gappy.jpg

There is a significant gap at the top of the windscreens, so some filler will be needed there. The clear piece actually extends down at the base of the windscreens, which is why I had to get it fitted now - once blended into the fuselage it will form part of the nose. The windscreen was dipped in Klear four times, but is still not brilliant. I suspect by the time it has been blended it will need a probably need a polish - it should become clearer then!

I also fitted a coaming above the instrument panel, as there was a slight gap there too. It might be visible at the end of the build, but maybe not...!😄 The two pitots have also been removed. The plan is still to get the fuselage primed later today.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Fantastic work so far, and looking great too!

Cheers Mikey!

I masked the windscreens to provide them with a degree of protection, then liberally applied filler:

screen.jpg

I gave the model a quick blast of primer to highlight the flaws. Whilst blending the windscreen I will also attend to these areas.

I realised earlier today that I have not posted any pictures of this aircraft in the 'Colum' livery. A trawl through Airliners.net found a couple of images I liked, starting with G-CIVP as she was back in 2001:

chris.jpg

This particular image is copyright Chris Sheldon and used with his kind permission - thanks Chris👍

I also found this image, which will be useful when I apply the decals to the tail:

andy.jpg

This one is copyright Andy Vanderheyden and was taken at Toronto in 2002. It is again used with his permission - thank you Andy.

There's a documentary on BBC4 about the 747 at 9:00pm, so I don't think I'll be doing much more modelling tonight!

• Like 5