FROG Buccaneer S.Mk.2A - Finished

Well even after white, yellow is still tedious to paint. Nearly there:
78-EB4-DFC-4328-4744-B122-71679-DAB9143.

I’ve managed to carve some semblance of the suspension scissors into the undercarriage, and replaced all the pegs with 1.5mm brass tube for strength:

C4-CDD50-B-BEAE-42-D2-AE47-347-E592-A025

The main wheels have wrong but nicely done hub  detail so I’m going to leave them as they are.

• Like 4

Nearly ready for more paint. Masked, vortex generator vane #5 added back in, filled sink marks in main undercarriage legs, still need to add refuelling probe and canopy. I mustn’t forget to put the seats in first!!

371760-D5-F771-4518-965-C-F5684-F9-CBEA2

• Like 5

Adrian, you really extract the maximum out of these 1/72 kits. Looking very good. By the way, the earrings are superb. Ray

• Thanks 1

Bit of a two steps forward, two steps back sort of a day today. I spilled my Decalfix (over a decal sheet of course), found out the the kit transfers don’t in fact work, damaged my home made decals after applying them and completely lost a white “Royal Navy” decal, which turned up stuck to the white underside, across another decal of course. Still, battled on through:

CE8-F2180-A47-C-4-C24-993-D-EFDB9-E5-CC2

I will add the last few bits and bobs tomorrow, varnish it and give it some light weathering. I’m not going to add weapons pylons because there are pictures of these aircraft with none fitted. I might add a couple more stencils but I’m pretty close to calling it done.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

you really extract the maximum out of these 1/72 kits

Thanks Ray! My daughter is very pleased with the earrings. I like all the scratch building that’s needed with old kits - it’s my favourite part of the process. After today, decalling is definitely least favourite! :)

• Like 2

Too... hot... 

I’ve been plodding along, made myself a new arrestor hook, which is smaller than the FROG one and happily matches the new Airfix one:

10408-F39-1301-46-C4-A9-ED-DF6-A6682-BDC

I have to putty down the hook well, which is a whopping great empty box on the model, then add a couple of greeblies at the front and finally add the light coloured window frames. Then varnish and done. Hopefully today!

• Like 1

Well paper engineering came to the rescue.

A small rectangle of paper, folded and rolled with a hole cut out for the hook fulcrum, stuck in with a touch of PVA:

765-A291-C-38-E7-4325-99-F8-569-BA65-BD4

Flood with thin CA

1-BE070-BA-BF1-C-4-BE7-A20-A-2-E9073-A76

Sand down the edges (and the lumpy paintwork!):

4-EBB2-D39-617-E-4426-80-EC-37-AE9-A55-D

Not perfect by any means but it looks better than the cavernous hole that FROG provided.

• Like 3

And it is finished:

266-F4-A8-C-E0-B6-4-F68-84-FA-E750-E99-A

I gave it a coat of future to gloss it up and it was starting to dry before I had even finished a brush full! I might have to give it another coat when the weather is a bit less crazy.

Now here’s a comparison:

19-D60-D3-B-D6-B9-48-AC-AABB-D4-AE15-F96

I finished the Hudson recently for another GB. Two aircraft, both state of the art, similar mission, twenty-five years or so  apart. They look so dissimilar in just about every way possible. To me they even look like different scales and genres of modelling. Shows how much aviation technology advanced in the middle of the last century.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a stunning result you've got there Adrian, a very sweet rendition of an early Buccaneer S.2. Kingkit might well be hearing from me soon. :)

Thanks Steve! I do love the EDSG/white colour scheme and the clean look without the pylons and external loads.

I love Kingkit. I note that they have no FROG Buccaneers but they do have a new Airfix Buccaneer for not very much more. I expect you would save the price difference in plastic card stock alone... :whistle:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll check that out too, I do want one of those if only for the Eagle markings. I thought I saw that Kingkit had several of the Frog kits, probably your fault if they've all gone. :( Oh well, you snooze, you loose. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I find that the grin on my face on finishing an old kit is broader because it’s been beaten into submission 😆

As opposed to wondering what you managed to stuff up on the latest uberkit so that the fuselage didn't close properly and worrying that you might have put stencil decal #87 on upside down...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

As opposed to wondering what you managed to stuff up on the latest uberkit so that the fuselage didn't close properly and worrying that you might have put stencil decal #87 on upside down...

Regards,

Adrian

Yes.

Steve.

• Haha 2

Well I got some glamour shots in today. Here are the ones not in the gallery:

IMG-6188.jpg

IMG-6190.jpg

IMG-6191.jpg

IMG-6194.jpg

IMG-6196.jpg

The observer's windshield is the unused observer's windshield from the FROG Blackburn Shark. Not quite accurate, but it fits. And the stem for the fuel dump pylon next to the arrestor hook is a section of inter-float strut from the same kit. It keeps me amused...

All this goes to show that there is nothing like bright lights and close up photography to remind you what you missed! Anyhow, quiite pleased that you can't see straight through it any more. It does need another coat of Future when the temperature drops below 30C, I might straighten out the spine aerials and add the aerials and tiny pitots under the nose - definitely, someday, maybe!

Thanks for looking and being a small, but select, audience!

Adrian

• Like 10