FROG Buccaneer S.Mk.2A - Finished

Great work, and your scratch building skills are great, really looking forward to seeing this come together, I started months ago, and you are up to me already,

I did have that kit and probably stated it about 40 years ago, was never going to be as good as yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice cockpit Adrian

Thanks Ced. I had the Haynes Buccaneer manual open at the cockpit photos page and a pile of reference photos on my computer screen when I did it and I still only managed to add about half of the features! They certainly could cram buttons, switches and blinking lights into those things. Fortunately the canopy distortion will reduce all this work to "busy soup", which is the desired outcome...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At some point I cracked and bought the new Airfix Buccaneer when I found a source for under 25 quid including postage. Got it yesterday and had a look. It's obviously a massive step up from the FROG Buccaneer, and a leap up from the old Airfix NA39, but I was surprised how indifferent I felt about it. What did amaze me was the packaging - the box is massive, it is five or six times the volume of the NA39 box and way bigger than the FROG one:

EDC9-C1-ED-BDC6-4-B47-8094-861-BEEF1-C30

• Like 3

Got the fuselage halves together. A little bit of drift along the length, so I glued front half and back half separately. Filler will be needed, but it isn’t too bad:

42-B6-D09-E-C16-A-431-A-A0-E5-B5495-E4-B

...and on re-fondling the new Airfix plastic this morning, I’m quite a bit more enthusiastic. Not sure if it makes sense to run it as a parallel build here though. We’ll see...

• Like 4

On 7/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, AdrianMF said:

Time to build some fans:

Fantastic work as usual and I’m certain that with the detail you have put into this build that you statically and dynamically balanced those fans before installing them! 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

the box is massive, it is five or six times the volume of the NA39 box and way bigger than the FROG one:

But is it FULL of plastic or a fair bit of air? I'm guessing it has a lot more bit's in it & I'm quite keen on one though I 've also got a bit keen on a Frog one too for some obscure reason. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

At some point I cracked and bought the new Airfix Buccaneer when I found a source for under 25 quid including postage. Got it yesterday and had a look. It's obviously a massive step up from the FROG Buccaneer, and a leap up from the old Airfix NA39, but I was surprised how indifferent I felt about it. What did amaze me was the packaging - the box is massive, it is five or six times the volume of the NA39 box and way bigger than the FROG one:

To be fair that bigger box is well packed with a LOT more parts than the other two combined.

• Like 2

Just found this thread. I love your work throughs for solving problems. I’m afraid my answer to the see through look would have been blanking plates front and rear, resting on the ground!

If I recall correctly, there are no slipper tanks with this. Do you require a pair as I think I still have the vac-form giveaways from an old IPMS mag in the 1980’s. If I can find them and if you need them, they’re yours👍🏻

Trevor

• Thanks 1

In all fairness @Col. is absolutely correct:

C9-BF5-BFD-B52-E-4-E8-F-99-A7-90-DA4-CF9
There are “only” five sprues and a clear one but they are packed (140 parts). There are almost as many parts to detail the inside of the fuselage as there are in the whole Frog kit, plus folding wings and opening tail air brake and a sprue of external stores.

I’m definitely warming to the new Airfix but I’m also enjoying the Frog one on another level too:

846-F8-C28-2-A66-49-BF-A67-C-8-B86-D1-D3

Yes, I will be cutting down the exhaust pipes!

If I’d had to pay “eBay rare kit” prices for the FROG then the Airfix would have been a shoo-in, but this was a fiver at SMW 2018. It’s a very nice kit, but made redundant by the Airfix one (unless I find another one for a fiver!)

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

there are no slipper tanks with this

Trevor, that’s very kind of you, but I think I’m going to go “early and clean” for this one and do the new tool one fully loaded and folded.

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 3

Cleaned up top to bottom fuselage joint. I’m very impressed with FROG’s engineering! It needed some persuasion to stay laterally aligned but the two halves fit together very well and the joint sands down nicely:

8-F69-E047-5115-4-BF9-BF1-E-1-F4-EFDB5-D

it will need a touch of filler, but much less than I expected.

• Like 4

Nose, tail and fin on:

E67-EDBA2-9-BE2-4-C05-B339-DF655-C7-A6-B

I need to make some choices about clean wings or pylons, ECM pods and whether the little bump under the nose was there. The little pylon (music stand?) in front of the navigator was apparently a late addition, which is good because I’ve accidentally snapped it off.

And apparently I’m cooking dinner. Oh well, I had a good run at it today...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Nose, tail and fin on:

E67-EDBA2-9-BE2-4-C05-B339-DF655-C7-A6-B

Apparently I’m cooking dinner. Oh well, I have a good run at it today...

Looking good.

Order a chippy.

Trevor

• Haha 2

I’ve milliputted everything that needed it (I’m sure I will discover more!) and blended in my paper cone intakes. My daughter wants some more custom earrings, so the leftovers didn’t go to waste:

F607-C91-F-7600-48-AD-B9-CB-42-BBB97-BB0

I think I have to restore the missing vane where there’s a gap - I believe it was removed when they fitted Martel rockets.

• Like 5

On 7/31/2020 at 7:54 PM, AdrianMF said:

the box is massive, it is five or six times the volume of the NA39 box and way bigger than the FROG one

Yes they were smart back then, just big enough to pick it up and slip it into Mum's shopping trolley.

Adrian,

I've been in the background watching this come together. Great techniques as always. Really enjoying the build.

Ray

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Are you keeping the raised detail on this?

Sadly I haven’t. I lost quite a bit to sanding on the fuselage and fin.

I will rescribe the hatches above and below the engine and below the cockpit. I need to do a line where the nose opens too. Other than that I think I will just leave the raised details that remain. 

I'm aiming for a new and clean look so I might just do some pencil highlighting of selected hatches before glossing.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It was that or fix back a tray wheel on the dishwasher. The dishwasher was running so the choice was made for me!

https://www.appliancespareswarehouse.co.uk/dishwashers/dishwasher-wheels

About the price of an Airfix Spitfire!

Trevor

• Thanks 1

The wheels are fine. The plastic bearings are a different matter, and degrade over five years or so before the tabs break. So I’ve been replacing the bearing parts with Milliput, which seems to work well and uses up my leftovers.

And I have 6.99 to put into my eBay fund!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the white on, well maybe one more coat...

4642-E294-DE35-49-C7-94-C7-01993-EBD6-B1

I have perfectly good rattle cans of white primer and appliance white that I was intending to use but somehow the brush came out because I didn’t fancy masking the wells! Started with a couple of coats of Humbrol 34, then three coats of Citadel Ceramite White.

The weapons mounts had to go because the Martel pylon bases moulded on the wing are much longer than the early pylons. Not sure yet if I will do it clean or add some stores.

• Like 3