Canberras from venus, the naughty corner... 3 in fact...

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

These look interesting, I love to see Canberras. The T17s look good to me, but then all Canberras do. My favourite has to be the TT18 though. I have two 1/48 Airfix Canberras to build, one of which will be a TT18, but I can't find the right 100 sqn decals anywhere!

You could always do it in 7Sqn markings as they flew then from St Mawgan in the early 80's

Gondor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

You have missed a golden opportunity...

B-57%20-%20FROM%20US%20DEPARTMENT%20OF%2

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/28328/N1005

Missed ?? Why for ??

There are some Canberra for sale on Evil bay...

Now the decals will surely not be easy to find up...

If it is dangerous to tempt a @Martian, it is equally dangerous to tempt a CC....

That's a very good looking Canberra...

It can be the 4th one instead of the NMF USAF one....

I greatly thank you Moa !!

These look interesting, I love to see Canberras. The T17s look good to me, but then all Canberras do. My favourite has to be the TT18 though. I have two 1/48 Airfix Canberras to build, one of which will be a TT18, but I can't find the right 100 sqn decals anywhere!

Mine will be a Royal Navy one... Of course...

Thanks for the kind words Sir !!

CC still engulfed in ponies and high winds...

But not for long....

2 RFI are coming...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

NOW he posts the picture!! 

B-57%20-%20FROM%20US%20DEPARTMENT%20OF%2

Oh, that's got the bubble canopy too. 

The Canberra kid has done a couple of big wing conversions. A 57D and an F if I recall. A white bath panel was sacrificed in the process as a source of stock plastic! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Oh, that's got the bubble canopy too.

And looks brilliant in this livery! 😮 Wish I could build it one day...

I’ll follow along, CC! It’s very interesting here.

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2020 at 16:47, Pete in Lincs said:

I never worked on Canberra's. But I was once told that the T.17 nose was the ECM pod from the back of a Vulcan.

And, CC, in my beer fridge I have some 1/2 ltr bottles of Jever Pilsner. It's rather nice.

Pete ...

Where oh where did you find Jever Pilsner?  I was once at a (British) borading school in Wilhelmshaven,  Germany, not too far from the then RAF Jever.  That was handy for the CCF, of course. We were able to sneak out of school to a local hostelry occasionally - strictly out of bounds - where we could imbibe Jever Pilsner.  I only found out years later at a school reunion in Wilhelmshaven, while chatting to one of my old teachers, that the staff all knew where we were, who we were, and what we were drinking (the teacher I was talking to used the same hostelry but had the sense to turn a Nelsonian blind eye when we walked in) ... .  Anyway, I'd love to sample the Pilsner again.   So where, PLEASE, did you buy yours?

Bestest,

JonnyPS Apologies for a rather clumsy ‘thread drift’.  Memory playing up, too dominant!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

where, PLEASE, did you buy yours?

Buy? Good lord Man, wash your mouth out!

I work as a Drayman for a Lincoln drinks wholesalers. Occasionally we get to sample the out of date stuff. 

I can report that it goes well with Pizza. I'll see if we have any more and find out where we got it. 🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jonny said:

Pete ...

Where oh where did you find Jever Pilsner?  I was once at a (British) borading school in Wilhelmshaven,  Germany, not too far from the then RAF Jever.  That was handy for the CCF, of course. We were able to sneak out of school to a local hostelry occasionally - strictly out of bounds - where we could imbibe Jever Pilsner.  I only found out years later at a school reunion in Wilhelmshaven, while chatting to one of my old teachers, that the staff all knew where we were, who we were, and what we were drinking (the teacher I was talking to used the same hostelry but had the sense to turn a Nelsonian blind eye when we walked in) ... .  Anyway, I'd love to sample the Pilsner again.   So where, PLEASE, did you buy yours?

Bestest,

JonnyPS Apologies for a rather clumsy ‘thread drift’.  Memory playing up, too dominant!

Hello Jonny,

No need to apogize, my threads are just some kind of drift competition...:rofl2:

Then memory about beers are in the right place here :cheers:

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Buy? Good lord Man, wash your mouth out!

I work as a Drayman for a Lincoln drinks wholesalers. Occasionally we get to sample the out of date stuff. 

I can report that it goes well with Pizza. I'll see if we have any more and find out where we got it. 🍻

Out of date samples, how the hell is it possible in U.K ???

Oh you don't have any @Martian in Lincs ???

Now @The Spadgent has found Chimay in U.K, not the blue one but Chimay nonetheless

Did you sell the Swordfish beer ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Did you sell the Swordfish beer ??

Not that I know of. We sometimes see Chimay and other European beers.

As for the out of date thing. I think it was a victim of the lockdown. Never got delivered and sat in the warehouse.

Shame eh? :beer:

• Haha 3

On 05/08/2020 at 17:47, Pete in Lincs said:

Never got delivered and sat in the warehouse.

Err, that free dray?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Oh no, the Airfix Canberra, head in hands 💩

The artwork is very nice, and only slightly inaccurate!

Classic Airframe ones are out of price and hard to find, they seem to have migrated on the other side of the pond....

Well, I still have time to chainsaw this one and the other one coming soon...

I must be ready for Canberra's invasion of SMW '21

Then, this one will be a FAA one !! 

what's not to love (Said with all the youthfull enthusiasm I still have in mind :whistle:)

TT 18 on its way !!

Still mad CC

• Like 5

It's ok, tongue firmly in cheek and know that optio s are somewhat limited! 

I'm lucky to have two CA TT.18s and Aeroclub (the best) B.6s I guess.

I brought one of the Aeroclubs a few weeks ago, for less than the Airfix kit sells at.

• Like 2

On 09/08/2020 at 12:24, 71chally said:

Oh no, the Airfix Canberra, head in hands 💩

The artwork is very nice, and only slightly inaccurate!

Oh dear. I have three of these in the stash, including two old box versions mwith the grey & black B2 on the box. Are they glaringly bad or would they suffice for a mediocre (on a good day) modeller who just wanted something that looked like a small replica of a one time Wyton denizen and not a toy?

• Like 1

Oh dear. I have three of these in the stash, including two old box versions mwith the grey & black B2 on the box. Are they glaringly bad or would they suffice for a mediocre (on a good day) modeller who just wanted something that looked like a small replica of a one time Wyton denizen and not a toy?

If , like myself you just want something that looks like a Canberra and are happy to accept a few inaccuracies, they will do fine for you. I would advise replacing the rudder and canopy, Master Casters do drop in replacements for these, and straightening out the kink at the base of the tail planes. Some extra scribing will go a long way as well.

Other than that, the kit is relatively cheap and plentiful. I am probably going to commit hereasey here by confessing that for all it's faults I rather like the kit although preferring the goldfish bowl types. :jump_fire:

Martian 👽

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

My feelings are rather more severe and cynical than our learned, and extremely talented friend from Mars, but I know I'm at the extreme of this and my own modelling limitations don't help.

Airfix had an opportunity to bring us a state of the art kit of a Canberra, they had already proved themselves previously with glorious kits such as the Lightning and late Spitfire/Seafire.  Unfortunately it came out in the same era as their Nimrod and Valiant, though they are better.

Their Canberra is like a toy with the same level of trench like surface detail as a Corgi diecast.  On top of that much of that surface detail is wrong, and some of the features are just inaccurate, the result of trying to do too many versions from one kit.  There are more differences between certain Canberra Mks than many people realise.

I actually think that one of the most cynically marketed kits I've ever seen is their Canberra T.4 boxing as it doesn't even give you the solid nose, or the correct seating arrangement, the defining features of that type, it just reboxes the B.2/B.6 bits (again quite different from each other) and asks you to paint over the clear nose..

The worst thing about this for us Canberra fanatics, is that because a company as prolific as Airfix have released this kit, the chance of another company bringing one out to modern standards, is zero.

Some of the smaller parts are really nicely done though, and it does build relatively well.  The rudder doesn't bother me, easy to fill the trenches, but the tailplane issue is a howler, which why I came up with a correction for it.

Personally speaking, I will only build the Aeroclub and Classic Airframes now, they are far more involved builds (both mixed media kits) but they are far more accurate, and the surface detail is much nearer the real aircraft which was quite smooth.

Of course the Airfix kit looks like a Canberra when built, whatever your skills, or more importantly, inclination to improve it or not are.  You can build it from the box, with all its errors and it will look like a toy Canberra.

Or you can do what the likes of John, Bill (72nd version) Martian, Jamie (and I'm sure CC here) and others on the forum and build a thing of beauty, which requires hours of research and kit improvement, and it will look like a great Canberra kit.   But I have also seen some gorgeously built kits with wrong bits on by following Airfix's guidance, like hanging AS30 missiles off a B(I).8 or four rocket pods under a B(I).6.

Having said all that it is extremely pleasurable watching the fine builds on here, and I am being a bit tongue in cheek with my reactions!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

Don't you worry James !!

You're welcome, and please do not hesitate to tell me if something on my 3 or 4 Canberras need to be fixed or corrected.

Now, the kind of things about the mistakes is usual with almost every brand

Look at the fabric wings on the Hobby Boss -5 Corsairs...:suicide:

Well, I'll wait a bit for my Alley Cat kits, and searched about TT18 specificities...

I found some pics but copyrighted, So I won't dare to publish it here...

The URL's may be...

There will be scratch to perform...:whistle:

IMG_20200812_232830

Here's the one I will reproduce

TT18

On the other front, the B-57G will be modified from scratch...

Look at that nose...

tn5yqjm8dgj31

Ugly enough for me to Looove it !!!:evil_laugh:

Now I look for pic of the underside laser designator turret, but seemingly, it was not installed on every -G

More to come soon !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 11

I'll go with what James said, after many years not building kits, I had actually given all my kits and stuff to my ATC unit in about 1989. I somehow doubt any of it survived very long...

Anyway, I started again about 12 years ago.... And once back in the publishing world, I pondered if surely they had improved from days of old....... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

After some (?) torture of much plastic, I decided it was time to attempt the Airfix Canberra, after all the Lightning wasn't too bad😃

And having grown up near the base where the former entered service and the latter retired from it, I had a bit of a soft spot for it.

So after much cutting, attempting re-scribbing, fixing them wheels which are wrong at the back. amongst many other things including much help from Canberra Kid

I may be a wee bit closer to the goal post.

• Thanks 1