Tamiya 1/48 F-14A, Trans-sonic with vapor cone

I started a WIP thread on this one, but ran out of initiative to keep up with posting photos. First a couple shots of the finished kit. Mission Models paint and kit decals for VF-84 CAG. Modified to be displayed in flight. 

20200708-221214.jpg 20200709-192714.jpg

Then the magic part: chicken wire and cotton wool to build a vapor cone as the ship transits the sound barrier. It doesn't look exactly like the reference photos, but I'm really pleased with how it came out! Comments and criticisms welcome. Thanks for looking! 

20200715-214241.jpg 20200715-214253.jpg 20200715-214306.jpg 20200715-214327.jpg 20200715-214420.jpg 20200715-214449.jpg

• Like 65

Beautiful Tomcat and very creative display. How did you shape what appear to be acrylic rods to create the stand? I'm studying ways to put models on stands and yours looks very good.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful Tomcat and very creative display. How did you shape what appear to be acrylic rods to create the stand? I'm studying ways to put models on stands and yours looks very good.

Thank you. Yes they are 10mm acrylic rods I bought on Amazon. I softened them with a heat gun (tried a hair dryer but it wasn't hot enough so went out and bought the heat gun) and bent by hand. I also glued some styrene tube with a 12mm ID into the exhaust port, which accepts the rod and keeps the strain off the kit nozzles. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, reggie78usmc said:

That's so Awesome!!! love the effects and the kit! I'm on my second tamiya tomcat and it is the best kit i've ever put together

Thank you! Agree its a very nice kit. My best ever probably still goes to the Tamiya 1/32 Mossie. 

• Like 1

That’s a great idea and it looks good . In my opinion I’d loose the cotton wool at the end of your rods as it detracts from the main idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Agreed 

Thanks both. I don't love the base, actually. Its my first time trying watercolor paper as a sea base, since I was going for a high altitude effect. I was trying to go for the effect of some clouds far below, but I agree that it's unconvincing. I finally left that one because it covers up a sloppy area where the rods go into the base. 

Wow, what a very eye catching piece that is, very effective use of the cotton wool as well.  Is it easily removed if you want to display it looking clean?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Wow, what a very eye catching piece that is, very effective use of the cotton wool as well.  Is it easily removed if you want to display it looking clean?

Thank you. It is theoretically removable, although a lot of the stuff closer to the plane is just sort of stuffed in and not affixed in any way, so I'd have to rebuild it if I wanted to remove and replace it

• Like 1

Thanks all for words of praise! It is now officially an award winning model, as I have been awarded "Most Creative" in a Mission Models/Spray gunner hosted Facebook contest! My first time entering anything for competition