RAF Scampton`s Woke Station Commander replaces `Niggers' headstone

tonyot

Hiya Folks,,............ got to say,.... I`m incensed by this,....... the Station Commander at RAF Scampton has replaced the stone covering the grave of Guy Gibson`s dog `Nigger' with a brand new  Woke version without his name on it,........ obviously wanting PC brownie points for his next promotion,..... what has the modern day RAF come to? I would say that he suffers from LMF and would probably be hiding under his desk if asked to do what this famous dogs illustrious owner was asked to do;

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/gravestone-replaced-guy-gibson-dog-4333794

Very angrily,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not incensed at all.  I completely understand why they did it.  What was 'ok' back then is clearly not ok now.  Looking back on it, it probably shouldn't have been ok then either, but it seems it was.  And if being 'PC' means being mindful of that, then it's all good.  It's also perfectly possible to be brave without being casually racist, but I guess that's another argument...

• Like 10

As much as I can see where the original poster is coming from, you have to acknowledge that a word that was considered harmless then is now considered extremely offensive by a very vocal section of society. Strangely, I read a recent article that many black people are not too offended by the use of the "N" word, if its used in a non-racial context or as a way of berating a rival.   

Also, this is the grave for a dog - not a person. There are much more pressing things for modern folks to be concerned about. Language, acceptable behaviours and peoples' attitudes to many things change over time.  Considering the many genuinely horrible things man did to his fellow man in the war, the name of Guy Gibson's dog seems liker a very minor issue indeed. 

I'm sure that many things we wouldn't think twice about saying today will be considered deplorable in the future. That's just the way the world works now, unfortunately.    

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.
  • Like 5

Times change! What was acceptable in 1943, no longer is and that doesn’t make it a bad thing. Whatever his reasons, and I’m not going to second guess them, W/C Gibson chose a name for his dog that is now offensive to a great many people. I think defaming the current base commander’s motives and fortitude (and you only have to go to Wikipedia to find his identity)for making this change is to be tone deaf to current reality. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Werdna said:

I'm not incensed at all.  I completely understand why they did it.  What was 'ok' back then is clearly not ok now.  Looking back on it, it probably shouldn't have been ok then either, but it seems it was.  And if being 'PC' means being mindful of that, then it's all good.  It's also perfectly possible to be brave without being casually racist, but I guess that's another argument...

Armchair warrior eh,...... I`m no racist,....  they will be re painting the BBMF Lanc next in case the colour offends! The dog was named after a colour,..... 

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 3

That word carries a weight like no other. It's naive to think otherwise. It represents hundreds of years of oppression, of being treated as a mere possession, of being treated as a second-class citizen, even to this day. It might have been ok to name a dog as such eighty years ago, but it really isn't now. I'd be happy if I never had to hear or read it again. It's a hateful, spiteful word that goes way beyond a simple insult. It's not "political correctness", it's common decency and respect for your fellow human.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

• Mike locked this topic

Nope. Too sensitive a topic for Britmodeller, and I no matter what I think of it, I'll keep my own counsel. I'd advise everyone else to do the same.

• Like 3