Etrich Taube, five-country flight, 1913 - Airframe 1/72nd vacuformed

As stated somewhere else, with complex builds it seems to be a good strategy to take it in reasonable steps. In this case, as anyone would appreciate, rigging defines the model.

You already saw the two stages in which the tail rigging was done. Today the task was the area of the frame underneath the wing.

Setting up doable tasks that can be completed in a relatively comfortable way helps developing a sense of accomplishment, avoids mounting stress, and above all, leaves a nice sensation that invites you to come back to the model later on to continue the build with a positive feeling.

This sort of building strategy is particularly useful now, as Mrs. Moa can't go to the gym, and instead blasts the house full volume with abominable gym music as she does her classes online now. Oh, the humanity!

My Pablo Casals' Bach's 6 cello suites CDs just shattered in horror.

Fortunately, the rigging, miraculously, went on without major incidents:

IMG_1588+%25281280x912%2529.jpg

IMG_1590+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Very impressive, give your spiders or umper-lumpers a pay rise. Nice and clear view there Claudio, was expecting smoke from your state's fires.

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart.

Oh, we had plenty, but fortunately lately we got onshore winds that helped clean the air.

IMG_1451+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, Moa said:

As stated somewhere else, with complex builds it seems to be a good strategy to take it in reasonable steps. In this case, as anyone would appreciate, rigging defines the model.

You already saw the two stages in which the tail rigging was done. Today the task was the area of the frame underneath the wing.

Setting up doable tasks that can be completed in a relatively comfortable way helps developing a sense of accomplishment, avoids mounting stress, and above all, leaves a nice sensation that invites you to come back to the model later on to continue the build with a positive feeling.

This sort of building strategy is particularly useful now, as Mrs. Moa can't go to the gym, and instead blasts the house full volume with abominable gym music as she does her classes online now. Oh, the humanity!

My Pablo Casals' Bach's 6 cello suites CDs just shattered in horror.

Fortunately, the rigging, miraculously, went on without major incidents:

IMG_1588+%25281280x912%2529.jpg

IMG_1590+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I'm admiring your view as much as your build!

Beautiful detailing :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Very nicely done.

An interesting approach to the rigging too. I will have a slightly different one when I do mine, but it's always nice to see how others do it and maybe steal a few ideas. There is no "correct way", and often a few different techniques are needed on one model.

Nice work on the Muromets too, must get back to mine sometime. (How many times have I said that!)

Ian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Looks superb. Is that EZline for the rigging?

It's a mix, Mark.

EZ line for the lengths that are more likely to suffer due to my clumsiness: the fuselage sides from where we usually grab the models, and the multiple strands on elevator and wingtips.

The rest is my usual ceramic fiber.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Very nicely done.

An interesting approach to the rigging too. I will have a slightly different one when I do mine, but it's always nice to see how others do it and maybe steal a few ideas. There is no "correct way", and often a few different techniques are needed on one model.

Nice work on the Muromets too, must get back to mine sometime. (How many times have I said that!)

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

As I was saying to Mark above, EZ line and ceramic fiber were used. At the limit of my diminishing eyesight in 1/72.

Good luck with both your projects.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

EZ line for the lengths that are more likely to suffer due to my clumsiness: the fuselage sides from where we usually grab the models, and the multiple strands on elevator and wingtips.

The rest is my usual ceramic fiber.

Thanks Moa, I do have EZLine but I think it may be slightly under scale for me so I also have some mig rigging line and some .26mm monofilament, have to think about it as my build proceeds, a good way to go yet, but I’m very conscious that on the Taube, my model engineering needs to be good because there is no place to hide :)   

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Exquisite result, I’m sorry to have not seen this til now. I had to consult a dictionary to find a suitably superlative adjective :)

The rigging looks flawless to me. May I ask the dimension of those wires and where you buy them (apologies if you mentioned it, I haven’t thoroughly read everything yet)? All EZline I’ve found accessible is too thick for 1/72. Ceramic I’ve never come across, but eager to try. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Exquisite result, I’m sorry to have not seen this til now. I had to consult a dictionary to find a suitably superlative adjective :)

The rigging looks flawless to me. May I ask the dimension of those wires and where you buy them (apologies if you mentioned it, I haven’t thoroughly read everything yet)? All EZline I’ve found accessible is too thick for 1/72. Ceramic I’ve never come across, but eager to try. 

Thanks for your kindness.

I used the "FINE" variety of the EZ line, also the more you stretch it the thinner it gets (just of course beware not to cause excessive tension or snap it).

The ceramic fiber is 6 mil in diameter.

It's sold over the phone in the US (beware to call at a decent local time)

Post #167 here on this thread has the data you need:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074154-noorduyn-norseman-forest-service-modified-revell-172-kit/&do=findComment&comment=3732479

Cheers