Etrich Taube, five-country flight, 1913 - Airframe 1/72nd vacuformed

25 minutes ago, occa said:

As usual impeccable modelling !!

On an unrelated note, what happened to your Vultee V1A build, did I miss that you've finished that one ?

Thanks!

Re. the Vultee, I am waiting for the decal set I commissioned.

Between the mail shenanigans, Arctic Decals busy schedule, and some particularly challenging images for the sheet that require a specific approach, this has taken a while. And then some. And then some more.

The model is ready for them. I am a bit concerned now because some masking tape has been stuck there for about 10 months. We'll see.

• Like 1

The location for the main supporting beam for the wing structure is measured and drilled, then the tube is inserted through the fuselage at floor level. Locations of the vertical supporting members are drilled in the lower surface of the wing, where the spar is. The vertical mast positions closer to the tips were drilled through. A vertical member brass tube is inserted as a dry run, it's standing snugly by itself:

I thought that I would use the Albion Connecto P.E. set for this build, but then decided not to in this particular case, as it would make life unnecessarily difficult. But it has its uses, needless to say:

IMG_1118+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Moa said:

My knees are a bit shaky, we'll see how it goes 😨

It’s more your sanity I’d be worried about. Rigging a 1/48 th taube is what’s holding me back from cutting plastic. 1/72......

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 5

Time to work a bit on the surface details of the fuselage before it gets complicated. Some holes seen in photos are drilled:

IMG_1119+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The carb air intake too:

IMG_1120+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The nose is drilled, and a piece of shaped sprue is prepared to represent the engine front, where the prop will be attached:

IMG_1121+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1122+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The belly has a vent hole at the front, the hole for the lower part of the control column, and will have some rigging and control cable locations drilled later on too:

IMG_1123+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The tail continues to be detailed:

IMG_1124+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The rudder control cable exit:

IMG_1125+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

"Elevator" (flexed horizontal tail, actually) control cable exit:

IMG_1126+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

Small pulleys are made with tree punched discs. Make more than you need, to chose the best ones.

Six are needed:

-two on top and bottom of the kingpost, to guide the elevator deflection cables.

-two on top of the stab's edges to guide the rudder control control cables.

-two on the wingtip masts to guide the "aileron" cables.

IMG_1127+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I am loving this build: there is some truly great work going on here. It's your work that has inspired me to return to vacforms in fact. And I have the next project ready....

Thanks, and I hope it's a civil project????? 😊

I was just also working on the next vac, a huge Execuform Fokker F.32, but until I see if it's really viable (way too basic and requiring lots of tome and effort) I am not posting it.

Cheers

• Confused 1