Etrich Taube, five-country flight, 1913 - Airframe 1/72nd vacuformed

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Just caught up, great work Master, your models are lovely and threads are great seeing the way they emerge. Great work as always.

Chris

Very kind, Chris.

This is one of those cases when once you have built the model, the real building starts with all the peripherals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

I was looking at a couple of Airframe kits on Ebay in my search for a simple Vacform kit to try out .  I will keep searching.

Chris

The Taube has a reasonable gauge plastic, Airframe's Gee Bee, which I have built, had very thin and flimsy plastic. Their Supermarine S.4, which I also built, was on the thin side too.

I wouldn't say they are easy to build as first vacs.

Other brands may offer more robust, simpler, or more sound kits for a first foray.

But I greatly wish I could have Airframe's De Havilland DH.34... Sigh... :tasty:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

The 'bird' is starting to look very elegant. The metallic grey you mentioned, does that come ready made, do you mix it or...

Stuart

Hi Stuart

It's Humbrol gloss 40 enamel with a touch of Model Master chrome silver enamel.

What will be misted over now is another mix I made long ago to simulate the metallic grey of certain German types. I used it on the B.F.W. M.20, Rohrbach Roland, and Focke Wulf A.16.

I know I stated the mix somewhere in those builds there, but I don't recall where or what is in the mix exactly.

I mix by eye, don't measure anything, and am not good at keeping records. A bad habit I developed as a painter 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up. I hope you have ample supplies of rigging material - you are going to need them :)

It's surprisingly long compared to the Fokker fuselage behind it.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Yes, much fun to be had ahead!

The Taube (9,9 meters) is less than half the length of the Fokker (21,29 meters).

The airbrushing went very well, but I now see an issue. If from certain angles the reflectivity of the metal hue compares to photos, from different angles the metal looks too dark.
I will re-paint on a much lighter metal hue, white aluminium, possibly mixed with some gloss white.
Pity, because the application was flawless, and we know what happens when we start to mess up. Fingers crossed:

IMG_1377+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1378+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1379+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Moa said:

I think the mix of Alclad pale grey gloss base and white aluminum I just re-spayed on looks better.

A new product: MoaMetal! It does look better, at least on my monitor. In previous photos it looked like a lovely shade of pale blue, but not metallic at all.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

A new product: MoaMetal! It does look better, at least on my monitor. In previous photos it looked like a lovely shade of pale blue, but not metallic at all.

😁

The color of that surface is a bit speculative, as we know it was metal but doesn't reflect metallic as the wheel caps do. So it was dulled or painted.

Cheers

Oooo paint, good to see the paint going, looking forward to seeing the rigging being started now.  I have purchased a Vacform Kit so will be able to give it a go now, well not now I need to clear a couple of builds that are on the go first.

Keep up the good work

Chris

• Like 2

This is just beautiful Moa.  The Taubes were quite large aircraft for their day but at the same time quite delicate looking.  Lovely how they duplicate nature in their form.

AW

• Thanks 1

Very impressive. The more I see the more I want one in my collection. I can see quite a bit of model engineering being employed to get all that steelwork and rigging right. Am taking notes for my build :) 

• Like 1