Luftwaffe Trainers Si204D / Bu181 (1/48 Special Hobby)

These two kits were built together, the Siebel Si204 using aftermarket i.e. Eduard 'Big Ed' etched and masks plus CMK resin wheels, seats and spinners. Where as the Bucker Bu181 was built virtually otb, both kits were Special Hobby 1/48 scale.

The Si204 wasn't the easiest of kits to build, some of the parts not fitting together too well. The canopies were a bit of a trial to get a decent fit but was successful in the end. I also re-scribed all the panel lines as I found the kit ones to be rather shallow. On the plus side the interior detail was excellent, unfortunately mostly lost when fuselage halves are joined! Not a shake and bake kit but worth the effort put into it, Special Hobby certainly give us replicas of aircraft mostly ignored by other manufacturers and are to be congratulated for their choices.

Aircraft was finished using AK True Colours, decals from kit and spares box. This particular machine was taken from a colour photo found on the 'net' the code only showed 3 letters L,Q & D so first letter is a guess B!!!spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

These last 3 photos show the interior detail :-

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Bucker Bu181 was built otb without any modification except cutting out and deflecting the control surfaces. Again a Special Hobby kit this one with no surprises and finished quite rapidly for me!!!!

Machine is finished as per photo found in a Flugzeug Special on the Bu181, it appears the codes had been painted out except the one on the yellow bands the S is speculative. Unit badge is home made decal, finished again, with AK True Colours.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now S.H. where is the 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw58 😉

Cheers

Andy

• Like 22

You have done a superb job on both of them Andy and they are very interesting types too (instrument trainers?,....yellow stripes?),.... I saw a build on the Siebel where the modeller ripped the kit to shreds because of the poor fit,,.... so especially well done there mate.

I`m not really into Luftwaffe aircraft but I do like some of their second line types,.... especially these two and I agree about the Fw58,..... I like building these 2nd line types in roundels as captured aircraft!

Cheers

Tony