Jupiter and Juno in 1/72

Pat C

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your response, I will let you know what happens, when the parts turn up from Revell. Think it will be a long wait!

Yes I am quite close to RAF Shawbury where the DHFS is based. We have a lot of Junos  flying over us but not quite as many Jupiters. I think this is mainly because there are fewer of them.

With regard to your question about the seats:

From what I have seen from quite close when they hover;: both the Jupiter and Juno DO NOT have rear facing seats behind pilots. Interior of Jupiter  is empty apart from 4 side facing bucket seats. i.e  2 on each side of the aircraft, port and starboard. I am not sure if there are more seats at the rear interior? 

I am happy to stand corrected if anyone else can shed any light on this. Obviously it is a bit hard to see the back interior! If I hear anything more then i will let you know.

Many thanks again. 

• Like 1

Hi ShropshireThistle,

Thanks for the confirmation of your RAF Shawbury perch! 🙂 No surprise you are seeing a lot more Junos passing by. The sheer number is one reason. Also the nature of the training: these are used for initial helicopter training, meaning a lot of circuits-and-bumps, and in their case also auto-rotations.

The Jupiters I understand are used for the advanced training, including rescue crew training work like hoisting, slinging and landing/hovering in difficult areas in the mountains or on the coast. So these are on longer missions further away from base. Maybe also more from RAF Valley than from Shawbury. 

What I glanced from the pictures the Jupiter only have a bucket seat on the SB side, and a single forward facing seat on the port side, aft of the sliding door. In the area between the two sliding doors there are no seats, as the floor needs to be free for hoisting operations on either side. But my observations are very crude and limited, I could be easily very wrong. So better info is much wanted!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Torqueofthedevil 😁

Thank you for the explanation ( but explaining a joke doesn't make it better, sorry for that!) . I guess you have a point; for the rescue crew (winchman, loadmaster, frogman, whatever) it's not much, and really cramped if you compare it with a Seaking, Merlin or even a Lynx. But let's be fair, it's only for initial training on those roles, not to be used operationally.

For the flightcrew though it seems to be a real treat, flying this slick agile chopper. With the five bladed rotor now coming into use it gets even better. And the cockpit isn't cramped at all: compare that to the Gazelle for instance!

Just as I'm curious: do you happen to fly there yourself, in any role?

• Like 1

Hi robc,

Thanks for these links, that is mega helpful.  My conversion is actually in 1/32, I don't suppose you know of anyone doing a conversion kit in this scale? I managed to get 1/32 decals from Helo Stuff in Germany. (Had to seriously brush up on my German!!)

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi Shropshire Thistle,

Sorry I missed your question! But maybe you found out in the meantime yourself: in 1/32 you won't need a conversion set at all! The kit is readily avialable in this scale. Revell sells two versions of the H145 since 2017: the military version LUH kit 04948, and a civil police helicopter as kit 04980.  For a RAF Jupiter HT.1 I guess you best pick the former, as it includes the hoisting winch.  Only minor additions will be needed from your own making. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 'Air-Graphics' Juno & Jupiter sets turned up today.

Nicely cast, still awaiting instructions, which will be made available via their website later.

Can't see any images of the castings on their website, so a couple posted below: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm hopefully not infringing any copyright, if I am, the mods can let me know and I'll remove the images.

Decals available on their sheet 72-010

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-010-british-military-air-arms-update-set-1

Regards

Edited by robc
link added

4 hours ago, robc said:

My 'Air-Graphics' Juno & Jupiter sets turned up today.

Nicely cast, still awaiting instructions, which will be made available via their website later.

Can't see any images of the castings on their website, so a couple posted below: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm hopefully not infringing any copyright, if I am, the mods can let me know and I'll remove the images.

Decals available on their sheet 72-010

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-010-british-military-air-arms-update-set-1

Regards

Very interesting indeed. But I already spot a nasty error: the fenestron for the Jupiter (H145) has its blades not spaced evenly around the hub, but at different intervals. The closest blades are 22 degrees apart, the farthest 45 degrees, the intermediate ones 34 degrees. This to avoid resonance with the 'wake' of the stator vanes.

These stator vanes (or hub supports) are also in error: these should not be placed radially but tangentially to the hub. Also to minimise wake resonance. Pity Graphics missed these points, as they are very obvious if you look at the fenestron close  by! https://www.navalmodels.com/product/airbus-h145-helicopter-1-72-fenestron-tail-conversion-set/

The Revell kit of the EC135 had the same error to the fenestron rotor, but got the stator vanes right. 

I have developed a brass PE set of two correct fenestron rotors, both for the EC135 (Juno) of 14mm and for the H145 (jupiter) of 16mm diameter. These will soon be available from Navalmodels.com. A replacement tail for the Jupiter was already available for several months, this one having the correct tangential stator vanes. So nice try from Graphic. but a very expensive error!

Edited by maarten.schonfeld
link added
  • Like 2

I can recommend the NavalModels conversion in 1/72, this is my build from earlier this year - 

@maarten.schonfeld very nicely produced conversion that gets all the details just right! What's next?.......

Steve

22 minutes ago, BritJet said:

I can recommend the NavalModels conversion in 1/72, this is my build from earlier this year - 

@maarten.schonfeld very nicely produced conversion that gets all the details just right! What's next?.......

Steve

Steve, thanks for you recommendation and for your beautiful QinetiQ H145! The rest of your fleet is awesome too, you got quite some comments on the Ecureuil (Scquirrel). 

You had to lengthen the skids for the H145: if you had chosen the Revell German/French police version you would have got the right skids with the floats included. 

You're asking: what's next? No firm plans yet, but consifdering an early SA 365 Dauphin helo with single/twin engine option, so considerably different from the Matchbox/Revell version. Skids and tailwheel version invluded. Would it suit your taste?

Thanks Maarten, I didn't realise there were so many variations of the Revell kit so basically just picked one! An early Dauphin does appeal.

Sorry @Pat C for the thread drift.

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maarten.schonfeld said:

Very interesting indeed. But I already spot a nasty error: the fenestron for the Jupiter (H145) has its blades not spaced evenly around the hub, but at different intervals. The closest blades are 22 degrees apart, the farthest 45 degrees, the intermediate ones 34 degrees. This to avoid resonance with the 'wake' of the stator vanes.

These stator vanes (or hub supports) are also in error: these should not be placed radially but tangentially to the hub. Also to minimise wake resonance. Pity Graphics missed these points, as they are very obvious if you look at the fenestron close  by! https://www.navalmodels.com/product/airbus-h145-helicopter-1-72-fenestron-tail-conversion-set/

The Revell kit of the EC135 had the same error to the fenestron rotor, but got the stator vanes right. 

I have developed a brass PE set of two correct fenestron rotors, both for the EC135 (Juno) of 14mm and for the H145 (jupiter) of 16mm diameter. These will soon be available from Navalmodels.com. A replacement tail for the Jupiter was already available for several months, this one having the correct tangential stator vanes. So nice try from Graphic. but a very expensive error!

Maarten,

Yes I did notice that the H 145 blades looked not quite right, but considered that as it would cost the best part of £20 to import the Naval models set to the UK the extra resin included in the Air Graphics set costed in.

It's also fixable though , spending a bit of time with some plastic strip and rod, although I'll keep my eyes open for your PE sets.

Regards

Rob

16 minutes ago, robc said:

Maarten,

Yes I did notice that the H 145 blades looked not quite right, but considered that as it would cost the best part of £20 to import the Naval models set to the UK the extra resin included in the Air Graphics set costed in.

It's also fixable though , spending a bit of time with some plastic strip and rod, although I'll keep my eyes open for your PE sets.

Regards

Rob

Not fun to tell you this: I had offered Gary Madgwick last year August to use my masters for his Air-Graphics offering, but he blankly turned that down. I admit his kit is very complete with a lot of interior details, but the tail is the key component of course, difficult to scratch for most modelers. So Brexit is now an avantage for Air-Graphics when you live in the UK, but for modelers on the Continent it's just the opposite: a 25 GBP kit would cost me at least 55 Euro with all the taxes and customs/post handling! I wouldn't even ponder on it for a second now.

Looking closer now: Air-Graphics also missed the reinforcing plate at the front end of the tail boom, and the very small 'finlets' at the rear corners of the stabiliser. 

Edited by maarten.schonfeld
addition
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 7:24 AM, maarten.schonfeld said:

Hi Torqueofthedevil 😁

Thank you for the explanation ( but explaining a joke doesn't make it better, sorry for that!) . I guess you have a point; for the rescue crew (winchman, loadmaster, frogman, whatever) it's not much, and really cramped if you compare it with a Seaking, Merlin or even a Lynx. But let's be fair, it's only for initial training on those roles, not to be used operationally.

For the flightcrew though it seems to be a real treat, flying this slick agile chopper. With the five bladed rotor now coming into use it gets even better. And the cockpit isn't cramped at all: compare that to the Gazelle for instance!

Just as I'm curious: do you happen to fly there yourself, in any role?

The cockpit isn't quite as spacious as you might think - put on a set of NVG and the roof console suddenly seems very close. And while you're right about the aircraft being used for training only, that actually exacerbates the space problem: for winch training, you need two people in the door (student and instructor) and two people to go on the end of the wire (typically, the instructor plays the part of the casualty, and the student winchman rescues them). Four people wearing immersion suits and life jackets makes the cabin and doorway very cosy!