Jupiter and Juno in 1/72

Pat C

.Revell updated their H145 in 1/32 with the fenestron back end in two boxings - Civil and MIlitary - not sure how close they are in detail, but it gets over that hurdle! We can only hope they do the same in 1/72! The 135 stil has the earlier intakes, so some conversion needed in that scale too.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As I ran into the same trouble I have just made an accurate master for a replacement fenestron tail for the Revell EC145 kit, The EC135 tail is not usable, as it is much smaller and also rather different in shape. I therefore built it entirely from scratch.

As I'm new on this forum, I haven't found out yet how to upload a picture from my harddisk (not on an URL, I hate Pinterest or the like) but if anyone wants to see it give me a note, or tell me how to upload some pictures. 

Maarten

Edited by maarten.schonfeld

1 hour ago, maarten.schonfeld said:

I haven't found out yet how to upload a picture from my harddisk (not on an URL, I hate Pinterest or the like)

Short answer you can't. You have to upload to a hosting site of some sort and post a link from there.

Air graphic models have just released decals for both Juno and Jupiter,

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-010-british-military-air-arms-update-set-1

and reference using their own coversion kits to build them, but there's no mention of these on their website, so not sure whether it was released and sold out, or still to come and hasn't yet made it onto their Future Releases page

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Short answer you can't. You have to upload to a hosting site of some sort and post a link from there.

Air graphic models have just released decals for both Juno and Jupiter,

https://air-graphics.uk/shop/ols/products/air72-010-british-military-air-arms-update-set-1

and reference using their own coversion kits to build them, but there's no mention of these on their website, so not sure whether it was released and sold out, or still to come and hasn't yet made it onto their Future Releases page

Thank you Dave for the answer. I'll reconsider applying to a hosting site.

And interesting about the decals. For the H145 Jupiter HT.1 there was already another decal set fro DF-Helostuff, Germany. Both in 1/32 and 1/72. 

56 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Any advice for building these in 48th or is that a non starter?

Hi Mackem, thats is indeed quite a different story. Only very recenty ScaleWorx seem to have released  a new UH-72 Lakota resin kit SW 48-24  in 1:48, I can't say I have seen anything material from it.

But if it exists, then it should provide a similar basis for upgrade to an H145. But I would leave the honour first to ScaleWorx themselves to reach that conclusion.

If you can't wait for having a Jupiter in 1:48, buy the ScaleWorx kit and I gladly give you all advice and references to do the job yourself. It isn't as hard as you would think it is!

• Thanks 1

In fact the chances your wishes will be fulfilled are growing by the day: the US Mindef just announced they have ordered 17 UH-72B Lakota aircraft to be delivered in 2021 and 2022! This UH-72B will be essentially the same as the Jupiter HT.1 (disregarding the antennae and equipment of course), including the fenestron tail. 

All reason to expect more interest from the kit manufacturers in all popular scales!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maarten.schonfeld said:

In fact the chances your wishes will be fulfilled are growing by the day: the US Mindef just announced they have ordered 17 UH-72B Lakota aircraft to be delivered in 2021 and 2022!

Can you share a source for this report?  I assume these would be "off the shelf" similar to the initial UH-72A procurement?

Probably just a semantic issue, but the U.S. government doesn't have a "ministry" of anything, the term used is "department" of defense (DoD). In colonist's English, a "ministry" is what a priest does for a living 😊

• Haha 1

Convinced?

And of course, you are semantically correct, in the US it is called DoD and not 'ministry'. 

Thanks for the link.  Apologies if you misread my initial post, I was simply asking if you could share the source of your information, not questioning its validity.

And the sources state clearly these are not similar to the existing UH-72A Lakota's, but different in having the 'shrouded tail rotor' as they describe the fenestron. Plus the added power output of the Arriel 1E2 engines.

Again, I think you misread what I meant by "similar to the UH-72A procurement" - this was in reference to buying the helicopters "as is" rather than modifying in any significant way (e.g. substituting US engines). It was clear from your earlier context that the UH-72B was an EC-145 model.

Hi CT7567,

Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding! However, you added a possible new one in your last reply:

'EC-145' (or more complete: EC145 T1) is the name referring to the Eurocopter (defunct since 2014) model with the conventional tailrotor, just like the UH-72A Lakota now in service for 15 years. ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_EC145.  

The version with the fenestron tail was called EC145 T2 at its inception in 2011, but when Eurocopter changed their name to 'Airbus Helicopters' in 2014, the commercial name was changed into H145, so this is the name now used to refer to the current production version. 

However, to complicate matters, the official name according to certification papers goes even further back: on their nameplate these current helicopters are indicated as 'MBB-BK117 D-2' , referring to the lineage back to their Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm and Kawasaki origins from the 1970s. The indication  'MBB-BK117 D-3'  is already reserved for the new version with five-bladed main rotor, of which deliveries are expected to start this month, first examples almost ready to be delivered to the Norwegian Air Ambulance service.

In fact every operator requests particular equipment to be added, and the US military services will be no exception, so without doubt there will be some equipment fitted to the UH-72B Lakota that will be particular to that version. However in the reports it is stressed these helicopters will be largely off the shelf, so with the standard European (French!) engines. 

• 4 months later...

Hi to all who have been waiting for the 1/72 Airbus H145 fenestron tail, which I promised some time ago. There is good news!

Since a few days these are commercially available from:

Naval Models:

https://www.navalmodels.com/product/airbus-h145-helicopter-1-72-fenestron-tail-conversion-set/

DF-Helostuff:

https://www.sparks-scalemodelshop.de/p/msc72-01-airbus-h145-fenestron-tail-conversion-set-umbausatz-1-72

Aviation Megastore:

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/airbus--h145-helicopter-fenestron-tail-conversion-set-revell-msc72-01-mw-models-msc72-01-aircraft-modelling-conversion/product/?action=prodinfo&art=175560

Stock is limited, but a second production run is underway, don't dispair if you can't get it now.

As for myself, I built my prototype as the Dutch PH-OOP ambulance helicopter from ANWB. Currently I'm building the first production cast tail into an RAF Jupiter HT.1, using DF-Helostuff decals. Encountering no particular problems. But one further note: we concluded that the end result will be even better with a PE brass fenestron rotor, the production for that has already been started. These rotors (plus similar EC135 rotors to improve the Revell EC 135 kit) will become available soon, sold separataly.

Cheers, Maarten

Typos
  • Like 1

Hi Maarten,

Your link to Naval Models does not work (error 404). Found the conversion set through their search engine (https://www.navalmodels.com/product/airbus-h145-helicopter-1-72-fenestron-tail-conversion-set/) . The other two links do work.

Best Regards,

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter Rozendal said:

Hi Maarten,

Your link to Naval Models does not work (error 404). Found the conversion set through their search engine (https://www.navalmodels.com/product/airbus-h145-helicopter-1-72-fenestron-tail-conversion-set/) . The other two links do work.

Best Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter for your check. I noted that the page was updated indeed, I edited my post so that it works correctly again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined up! Love reading all the comments; at last I've found some folk who might be able to help me! Thought I would let you know how I am getting on with my 1/32  H145 DHFS Jupiter. I am converting it from the Revell 1/32 German Police Surveillance Helicopter, mainly because I really struggled to find the Revell 1/32 H145M LUH German Army kit which I think  would have been a closer relation to the Jupiter with an empty interior, longer skids and a winch. 

My question for you all is; How might I find the winch and extended skids plus flotation gear? 

I have contacted Revell spare parts and amazingly they are sending me some skids and a winch but I think the winch is not the same as the one on the Jupiter, plus I still have the issue of the flotation bags. I presume I will have to make some?  I also believe there is a flotation canister under the rear winchman door?

Many thanks in advance for all your help. I am not particularly proficient but have got into building helicopters as I find them quite challenging!! My most difficult build I had recently was the 1/72 Airfix Commando Sea King.. You guys (and gals??) all sound very pro so please forgive the idiot questions or stating the obvious! 

Many thanks. 

• Like 1

Hello  and welcome ShropshireThistle,

Your nickname suggests you live close to these DHFS helicopters! You might then be able to have a much closer look into many of these helicopter details than I have. 

As for starters I think you already took a good course obtaining those Revell skids and winch parts. Where these might differ from the real ones I'm afraid you will have to build your own new parts. That shouldn't be very difficult at first, but the more detail you add it might become harder.

What intrigues me: I have found no single photo of the cabin interior (rear) of the Jupiter, but I have glanced there is a side facing bucket seat on the Starboard side. I have used a spare Puma type  for my 1/72 interior, but maybe you have more usable info on this?

KR, Maarten

Error, mixed up PT and SB
  • Like 1