5 minutes ago, Truro Model Builder said:

The last time Airfix went through a period of adding extra parts to existing moulds it was when they had practically no money and the results were less than spectacular (remember that very thick winged-Spitfire VC?).

It was a good idea, but poorly done, as the new bits were a bit agricultural.... 

The Mosquito upgrades were the best idea, as it used a good base kit and did two stage engines.  If they'd been done with a bit more finesse,  they would have great.

10 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Surely it wouldn't be all that hard, or expensive, to give those old moulds the once-over and upgrade the kit with a bit more detail to today's standards? I'm thinking things like some wheel well detail (not that there's much on the real thing) and a spar to hold the wing to its proper dihedral; maybe even a revised canopy, a Coffman starter fairing and alternative props to enable more variants to be modelled. It would have to be cheaper than a complete new kit!

This would better done as AM, a spar made of  folded etch could work,  just Eduard these days churn out sets for kits that don't need them, rather than upgrading the only game in town.

Oddly enough, these original Superkits seem to have almost no AM upgrades done, Waldron did some in the 80's, Airscale do some IP's, that's about it AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I do believe that there will be a new 1/24 Spitfire at some point, and it will be either a V or a IX. I would agree that as they have seen fit to mould a new Vulcan to replace their existing kit, and as they have an obsession with Spitfires, it is quite likely.

Airfix have said that the fact a subject is popular is a strong influence on getting a new tool - the fact that an old tool sells well regardless, means that they can continue that stream and add to it the new kit purchases that a new tool will bring

On 9/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

. . . they have an obsession with Spitfires . . .

Which makes the decision not to produce a high-back XIV in 1:48 difficult to understand.

oh, I dunno... It makes doing Spencer Flack's one pretty easy.

Et voilá : a civvy Spit that doesn't affront the sensitive folks (too much).

1/24 single seat DH Vampire with optional wing tips for F3 & FB5 airframes,alternative RH intake for optional FB9,,fully detailed engine ,rockets,bombs and drop tanks.A later boxing could have alternative booms for an F1 and a pinocchio nose for a Swiss machine.

One can but dream.

• Like 5

So as we approach the end of the year it will be interesting to see how Airfix do their 'reveals' - sans Telford I imagine they will definitely look to maximise their web traffic and do the Airfix Advent Calendar again with teasers....

I'm holding off starting my Special Hobby Anson (as it looks terrifying) in the hope that the big A will in fact spoil us with a new 1/72 Annie - after all it does seem to have been in their catalogue for a very long time. Perhaps the recent Lizzie will have put them off doing that but the Battle seems ripe for a new tool in 1/72 especially  given the lack of recent competition.

I would love a Prentice but I'm sure that's too esoteric for Airfix to consider- the good folk at Amodel or Dora might oblige us though. 

In 2020 there were 3 new 1/72 aircraft Vulcan, Beaufort, Spit Vc  and 3 vehicles- Firefly, Tiger, Cromwell and one 1/48 Sabre 

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast and (repops or new/revised boxings) to one side, plump for

1/72 Chipmunk OR 1/72 Sea Fury 

1/72 Spit TR.9

1/72 Battle OR 1/72 Anson (*I wouldn't put it past them not to do a Mk1 but do a C.19/XIX instead!) 

1/48 Jet Provost OR

DH Venom.

Vehicles

1/72 RAF Cold War Support Set - Land Rover, AEC Mandator, Leyland Pressure Refueller (and I'm sure they'll do a snowdrop and a dog as a nod to the Bloodhound set!)

Vintage Classics

Beaver

Islander

Bloodhound

As for the biggie - I'm not sure whether due to COVID there will be one sadly. Though I still have this niggle in the back of the mind about the Cosford Lincoln being measured up....

TT 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Vehicles

1/72 RAF Cold War Support Set - Land Rover, AEC Mandator, Leyland Pressure Refueller (and I'm sure they'll do a snowdrop and a dog as a nod to the Bloodhound set!)

I notice on the Hannants site that there is a set of decals to be released for 1:72 RAF support vehicles 1960 to 2020.

I find that very interesting as I don't know of any models to put them on. There's the odd 1:76 vehicle but 1:72? 

These vehicles along with new tools in 1:72 of the WW2 one Airfix already does is something I've been putting on the Airfix wish lists at Telford for a number of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Not 'wish-listing' as it's outside my area of interest but I would expect to see a later, radar equipped, version of the MiG-17 'Fresco'. 

• 2 weeks later...

Airfix has posted an announcement on its Face Book page that their big announcements will be made on 6th January 2021.

They state :-

"We know you will love what is coming".

John.

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Not half as much as we love speculating about them.

• Haha 6
27 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Airfix has posted an announcement on its Face Book page that their big announcements will be made on 6th January 2021.

John.

disappointing.... I thought they'd at least show off some. I hope it's worth the wait.....

.... and the inevitable website crash so we can't see what they are announcing

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

disappointing.... I thought they'd at least show off some. I hope it's worth the wait.....

.... and the inevitable website crash so we can't see what they are announcing

I forgot about the website! It's pretty hopeless at the best of times.

Maybe it's a brand new, totally redesigned website we're all going up love? 😉😂

John

3 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I forgot about the website! It's pretty hopeless at the best of times.

perhaps they would be best to announce the new stuff via Facebook and Twitter

• Haha 1

6th January, otherwise known as the 12th day of Christmas or the Feast of Epiphany.

Definition of Epiphany = a moment of sudden and great revelation or realisation.   

DON'T LET US DOWN AIRFIX

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

6th January, otherwise known as the 12th day of Christmas or the Feast of Epiphany.

Definition of Epiphany = a moment of sudden and great revelation or realisation.

You need three wise men!

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Welkin said:

You need three wise men!

Then don't come looking up here. We're right out of wise men and quite light on virgins, too!

Chris

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

DON'T LET US DOWN AIRFIX

18 minutes ago, Welkin said:

You need three wise men!

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Then don't come looking up here. We're right out of wise men and quite light on virgins, too!

Chris

oh great then

just what we all wanted 

a 1/72 scale nativity scene

platinum version with flying angels and led star of Bethlehem. Shepherds and sheep support set coming soon 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
18 hours ago, Aeronut said:

Is that the day that the credit card statements drop through the letter box? 🥺😳😖🤬

• Haha 4
18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Is that the day that the credit card statements drop through the letter box? 🥺😳😖🤬

No, it's the sudden and great revelation and realisation that you can't get on to the Airfix website on the day because their website has crashed....!

Don't know about the credit card statements! No credit cards! 😉😂

John