Airfix 2021...

TEXANTOMCAT

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Pleased to see the details in the Tempest cockpit, the moulding doesn't hint at separate inserts for the wing intakes for the oil coolers and engine air filter so don't hold your breath for a Mk.6 or for that matter a Mk.2 without a new fuselage and wings (e.g. don't hold your breath at all).

Mk 6 would probably need new wing, as would a Spitfire Vb.  Don't see either likely, at least in short term

29 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Messerschmitt Bf109G6 A02029B 1/72 (R)

A bit cheeky re-releasing this old warrior, it must be due an honourable retirement by now. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

The Mossie XVI and Tempest V are easily top of my list, and I suspect of many other forum members. The Wellington II as well. Not much else of interest I'm afraid. I had hoped for more 1/72 Vintage Classics aircraft.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, Black Knight said:

I just hope Airfix can keep the price of the 1/24 Gladiator under £100 otherwise it'll be hard for me to afford it

Airfix haven't issued any figures for decades, and weren't 1/24 anyway (not sure what they were)

However a Gladiator would pair well with a Retarius (net thrower) while bloodthirsty Romans watched the fight to the death.

Paired, they would make a rather macabre 'Dogfight Double,

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A bit cheeky re-releasing this old warrior, it must be due an honourable retirement by now. :unsure:

Steve.

I would assign it to starter set duties, and same for the 1/72 Spitfire IXC that we have seen in a while. Those kits are perfect for that

So having a while to think about these releases, I really can't complain. 

I got the top thing on my list, the 1/72 Valiant Reissue. I wanted a 1/48 Vampire F.3, most of the main releases at least interest me except the chipmunk which I will sit out on building. Only things I wanted that we didn't get really are a new 1/72 British Cold War jet or something new for the Luftwaffe. 

Interesting new releases.

4 "must-haves" for me- the 1/48 Chipmunk, and the K2Y ambulance ("Ice Cold in Alex" diorama, anyone?) in the new toolings and the beach buggy and HP42 in the vintage range.

Well, the Valiant return appeals, I built the Frog version in about 19VIX or something, and that will complete the anti-flash triumvirate, in modern day terms.........! 

45 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Only things I wanted that we didn't get really are a new 1/72 British Cold War jet

Yes a slight break in the pattern - which would otherwise reflect the Airfix recipe book mix for new tools (RAF Trainer, WW2 bomber, British 1/48 Post War). An intersting ensemble more conservative than I expected but probably reflects the market and times we live in. It certainly keeps the R&D / Design department in business with new projects - which is great to see.  The surprise to me is the front-loaded release schedule, which seems quite agressive with little for the last 6 months and suggests a catch-up year where they are holding back on some less developed releases in anticipation of further prgramme slippage rather than over-promising with big announcements that may be in the pipeline but are unlikely to materialise during this year.

An interesting selection though and clearly evidence of Airfix responding to the market with some overlooked types and like the Sabre from last year, I had little previous interest in the Vampire; but now I'm thinking: "you know, that's worth a look...🤔

Rich     

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bootneck said:

No new 1:350 scale ships?  I may have to sue @davecov for inciting fake news! :giggle:

He's still in the dog house with his partner.......... Airfix 2012 releases wasn't what she wanted as a birthday present. ( I speak as the voice of experience with my wife) :innocent:

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JohnT said:

or Sylvia Sims. :blush:

They could do a special over-18 version along with a bottle of Carlsberg... probably the best kit in the world :rofl:

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Not bad but not great methinks. Enough good news in there given the present situation to allow a small bit of jam here and there for everyone. 

Valiant reissue will be well received but it’s a reissue so while very acceptable it’s not quite earth shaking. 

I can’t help feel that if you compare ICM recent list with Airfix the full time final score is about 

ICM 6  Airfix 2

• Like 2

Just now, percival p. said:

Is it my imagination or has the Sea Harriet just appeared on the 2021 list?

I just saw that too, wasnt shown earlier!    1/72, so new tool?

And nothing there that strikes me as a must get or inspired choice that will fly off the shelves. It looks to be a very pedestrian schedule of releases for me unfortunately, no wow factor like the big Hellcat or the Vulcan etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, percival p. said:

Is it my imagination or has the Sea Harriet just appeared on the 2021 list?

The 1/48 Sabre IV has just been added to it too

Cheers,

WV908

9 minutes ago, jenko said:

He's still in the dog house with his partner.......... Airfix 2012 releases wasn't what she wanted as a birthday present. ( I speak as the voice of experience with my wife) :innocent:

Dick

2021 perhaps?🙂🙂

• Greg B locked this topic