Airfix 2021...

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

On the back of the ICM announcement, what odds on Airfix announcing a 1/48th Beaufort?

I'd say the chance is probably zero squared!

Which for me anyway is a good thing.

I think Airfix made the right decision to produce their kit in their most popular scale.

The lower price and, smaller size will (again, just a personal opinion) make it a more attractive subject for many and, possibly encourage multiple sales.

I have nothing against 1/48 per se but, if they produced the Beaufort in 1/48, I wouldn't buy it.

I'd suggest the market for this subject is such that it will be amply served by the the respective kits 😊.

John

Well, the news for 2021 are now in their online shop.. and in 1/72 at least they are very, very safe bets: two WW2 classics everybody knows and loves. Plus a couple new variants of existing tools and a few new issues with new decals

The British Cold War theme continues in 1/48, with a jet that while well known was not well represented before and then there's a little trainer that many wanted.

Maybe they will announce something else, in the meantime enjoy..

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021.html

It’s up

New:

1/48 chipmunk & Vampire 

1/72 Mossie (2 stage) & Tempest 

Austin K2/Y Ambulance In 1/35?

1/72 Wellington mk2

Valiant Back 

👏👏👏

• Like 1

ITS OUT!

I'm absolutely over the moon with the 1/48 DH Chipmunk, although it has scuppered my plans for releasing a 3D printed kit of the Chipmunk and makes the 150+ hours I spent CAD modelling it seem a bit fruitless. Still, I'm VERY happy and will be ordering several!

:D

• Like 2

Glad to see Airfix are starting to look at their 1/32 cars again. The Mossie and Tempest plus the Wellington are great too. But for me the 48th Chippy is a winner! Shame no new tool Harvard.

• Like 1

Hawker Tempest in 1/72!!! 👏👏👏

5 other new tools, otherwise a lean year as expected 🤗 (not that I'm complaining as it will take another 100 or so years to finish my stash as it is 😅)

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 2

Good safe bets I think ...sadly nothing that has a "wow" factor for me like the Beaufort and Vulcan of last year ...tho the Vampire and Beach Buggy reissue are tempting ! (fingers crossed we see both of them this year .) Bit shocked that despite the large number of kits I've purchased in the last year  I cant recall a single Airfix purchase  in 2020 for the first time ever ....:(  lots of European firms got my money tho ...Mikromir ..AZ. ..ValIom ...) I hope playing safe this year works well for Airfix. And that for every European kit I buy they sell 100 mossies. 

One year we will get a 72ND  Sea vixen, Venom ,Scimitar ,Lincoln,  and Javelin hopefully!

Edited by Neil Lambess
  • Like 1

Considering the year it has been (and it's not getting better any time soon) there are some sure fire winners .  Nothing spectacular ie. The Nationals big reveal ... but nice little earners that a lot if not most of us have been asking for. 

Well done Airfix.

Something for virtually all of us.

8 minutes ago, Neil Lambess said:

Good safe bets I think ...sadly nothing that has a "wow" factor for me like the Beaufort and Vulcan of last year ...tho the Vampire and Beach Buggy reissue are tempting ! (fingers crossed we see both of them this year .) Bit shocked that despite the large number of kits I've purchased in the last year  I cant recall a single Airfix purchase  in 2020 for the first time ever ....:(  lots of European firms got my money tho ...Mikromir ..AZ. ..ValIom ...) I hope playing safe this year works well for Airfix. And that for every European kit I buy they sell 100 mossies. 

One year we will get a 72ND  Sea vixen, Venom ,Scimitar ,Lincoln, hopefully!

Come to think it, 2020 is the first year in a long time that I haven't bought any Airfix kits either: mainly Eduard and a far Eastern company; the Tempest, Beaufort and Spitfire MK V should remedy that in 2021 though 👍

16 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Never mind those wingy things... the 1/32 Jaguar 420 is back!

best,

M.

The data below the photo states it is 1/72 as is the Beach Buggy.  Surely data errors

Very happy with the results

Think there are a few errors in the details such as prices and info in places 

but at least the site hasn’t crashed 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Neil Lambess said:

One year we will get a 72ND  Sea vixen, Venom ,Scimitar ,Lincoln,  and Javelin hopefully!

Nothing has the wow factor  Did you not see the K2?

19 minutes ago, dcrfan said:

The data below the photo states it is 1/72 as is the Beach Buggy.  Surely data errors

The box art for the Jag shows 1/32. I'm pretty chuffed about the Tempest, even though I've just built one, I'm happy to retire my Heller based ones & buy some of these, the Mosquito will be on my shopping list too. Less than happy about the Vintage classics Trident & HP.42, both of which I've picked up this year for more than I'd expect to pay for a re-issued Vintage Classic, oh well, caveat emptor or some such, :(

Steve.

With around 30 kits (including many Quickbuild) outstanding from 2020 the 2021 programme  seems a  good commercial choice for Airfix.. Although with the B17 recently available at bargain prices I am surprised at that reissue. 

Although relieved myself I do feel sorry for the person who purchased my Valliant off me earlier this year. At least if I am tempted to go down that route again the profit I made on the original is less than the retail price of the re-issue,

Edit: Just to add I have looked at the Airfix shop and notice that most of the releases are Spring/Summer 2021, bearing in mind what happened in 2020 I would have expected Airfix to be cautious about release dates - perhaps there will be a further announcement of Autumn/Winter releases later in the year,

Brilliant stuff - people have been clamouring for a two stage Mossie for years and am sure we will see other variants... The same goes for the 1/48 Vamp however the star for me is the 1/48 Chippie - an essential purchase and they have a great selection of schemes - including the one I really wanted the silver with yellow training bands.

Given the sagas of 2020 we're lucky to get any product at all! The 1/35 Katy is a nice touch and I'm sure they'll do Ice Cold in Alex markings!

Hopefully we may get a Tempest II in the future too!

Well done Airfix!

TT 

• Like 2

New tool 1/72 Mosquito with the two-stage engines is a great choice. For too long the best way to get that was with the Tamiya Mossie and a resin engine set. More importantly it opens up the potential for a Mk XVIII Tsetse. Valiant reissue is also nice to see due to the prices it has been going for recently. Tempest isn't a bad choice considering they already have the Typhoon but the Academy kit is already a really good kit so a missed opportunity there for something else I feel.

• Like 1

So the list:

NT = new tool

NP = new parts

R = release

V = vintage

WWII US Infantry 1/72 A02703V (V)

WWII German Paratroops 1/72 A02712V (V)

Messerschmitt Bf109G6 A02029B 1/72 (R)

Hawker Tempest MkV 1/72 A02109 (NT/NP?)

LIM-5 1/72 A03092 (R)

DeHavilland Chipmunk T.10 1/48 A04105 (NT)

Vickers Wellington Mk.II 1/72 A08021 (NP)

Auster K2/Y Ambulance 1/35 A1375 (NT?)

Aichi D3A1 'Val' 1/72 A02014V (V)

Hawker Siddeley Trident 1/144 A03174V (V)

Beach Buggy 1/72 A02412V (V)

WWII German Infantry 1/72 A020702V (V)

WWII US Paratroops 1/72 A02711V (V)

Concorde 1/144 A50189 (?)

WWII British Infantry 1/72 A02718V (V)

Junkers Ju87 B-1 1/72 A03087A (R)

De Havilland Mosquito 1/72 A04023 (NT)

Boeing B17G 1/72 A08017B (R)

De Havilland Vampire F.3 1/48 A06107 (NT)

Vickers Valiant 1/72 A11001A (R)

Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles 1/144 A03172V (V)

Jaguar 420 1/72 A03401V (V)

WWII British Paratroops 1/72 A02701V (V)

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Yes_Man said:

New tool 1/72 Mosquito with the two-stage engines is a great choice. For too long the best way to get that was with the Tamiya Mossie and a resin engine set. More importantly it opens up the potential for a Mk XVIII Tsetse.

The under spinner intake looks like a separate part, so earlier versions may be on the cards too, but there doesn't seem to be any option for a separate nose for fighter variants

My comments on these:

I think the Bf109G6 reissue is a mistake, unless it is in a starter set. It's basic, inaccurate and not up to current standards. 

Tempest MkV, I am happy with that. Perhaps not my first choice but I'm sure I'll get around to building one.

LIM-5, it's a polish MiG17. Nice.

1/48 Chipmunk, not my cup of tea so I won't be building one, but I'm sure many others will.

1/72 Wellington Mk.2. It's a Wellington with Merlins, I need that.

1/144 Concorde, well it doesn't say vintage so..... is it a new kit? If so, I would probably buy one.

1/72 Mossie, a two stage one! Finally!

1/48 Vampire F.3, yep I'll be buying that.

1/72 Valiant reissue. FINALLY! Take my money! I want 4! I just hope there are two more schemes, a camo and another white one. On the scheme shown, XD818's serial looks dark blue which isn't correct. Hopefully that's just the artwork. 

Similar to Hornby in that this year's range seems a bit conservative regarding re-releases but still a good number of new toolings. 

What is evident and surprising is the comparison of the ranges in terms of size. Airfix looks like a bit dropped off in this regard, and I'm sorry but there is not one single new tool in that range with 'Joe Public' scale 'wow factor' at all. The Mossie and Vampire are duplications of current projects / available kits and I don't see the Chippie selling well to the general public at all.

This isn't a 'nothing for me' post as I'll pick up two Chipmunks and a Mossie, but seriously when you compare the Airfix range to that of their parent company (Hornby) it is shockingly lacking. 

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 2

I'm well happy( I know.....I'm  easy to please). Especially the Chipmunk and the Mossie. The Tempest will find its way in to my stash as too the Buggy, Jaguar420, Wellington and not my cup of tea, the Lim/Mig.  This last one I had already built several years ago from a converted Hasegawa Mig17 by altering the nose and after market decals for the 'Last Flight' special scheme. but its long gone from my builds.    

Sad to see no 1/72 Harvard yet but a possible new Chippy in 1/72 coming next year maybe.....The Vampire may be another I will go for.

I'm very happy with the new aircraft releases, they've obviously made good use of their time at the DH museum!

To get the nightfighter Mossie would require a whole new fuselage etc looking at the renders, finger's crossed for 2022 on that.

Good news on the Vampire, the breakdown indicates an FB.5/9 to follow which is very pleasing!

The Chippie is a must for any ex Spacey who's flown in one for AEF, so I'm in for one of those.

Pleased to see the details in the Tempest cockpit, the moulding doesn't hint at separate inserts for the wing intakes for the oil coolers and engine air filter so don't hold your breath for a Mk.6 or for that matter a Mk.2 without a new fuselage and wings (e.g. don't hold your breath at all).

I shall be getting all of these new tools!

• Like 2
  • Greg B locked this topic