Airfix 2021...

On 12/14/2020 at 1:01 AM, RussellE said:

I think aircraft announcements will be limited this year to one or two new kits (B-24 liberator in 1/72, perhaps) with a plethora of re-issued kits with new colour schemes/variants... 

Not just because of the 'Rona but because Airfix are expanding their range to include not just aircraft but also armour and Maritime again, which can only be a good thing. More re-boxing's of Academy's 1/35 range and perhaps a new 1/35 tool?

For the flagship release, it's a long shot I know, and more of a wishful desire, a 1/350 Queen Elizabeth/ Prince of Wales... If not that then a new tools 1/24 MK IX  Spitfire (which can be used to develop mkI and v kits down the track) 

🙏

A Coastal Command Liberator would suit me just fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A Coastal Command Liberator would suit me just fine.

That would be nice and, it's why I'm kind of hoping the current marketing agreement with Academy might be extended to aircraft subjects.

Which could of course include their B-17C/D, B-24s,B-29 and, B-50!😊

John

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

That would be nice and, it's why I'm kind of hoping the current marketing agreement with Academy might be extended to aircraft subjects.

Which could of course include their B-17C/D, B-24s,B-29 and, B-50!😊

John

We've not yet had the Vulcan, so I wouldn't expect anything else 'large' for 2021.

Doubt if the original marketing agreement (with the former Airfix) was ever valid for Hornby Hobbies, let alone Phoenix Asset Management.

6 minutes ago, Denford said:

We've not yet had the Vulcan, so I wouldn't expect anything else 'large' for 2021.

Doubt if the original marketing agreement (with the former Airfix) was ever valid for Hornby Hobbies, let alone Phoenix Asset Management.

Well, we will probably find out soon enough won't we?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I just hope Airfix can keep the price of the 1/24 Gladiator under £100 otherwise it'll be hard for me to afford it

That would be good, will leave more money for the 24th Defiant :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 24/12/2020 at 17:03, Giorgio N said:

The thing is that the Lidar data is only part of the information needed to get the external shape of the object and this only one step in the design of the model. Then there are all the other steps needed to arrive at the CAD representation of the model in all its components and these can not simply be scaled up or down but must be started almost from scratch for a model of the same subject in a different scale.

Having already certain information from a previous larger kit is sure useful but the development of a smaller one will cost almost the same as that of any other subject

Spot on. Any half decent CAD software can scale a model, but that totally ignores size/manufacturing constraints. Designing is only half the task. 

On 24/12/2020 at 21:08, Adam Poultney said:

and you know I'd buy at least a few. 

Hopefully they'd cost less than that second FROG Vulcan I just bought...

A bit big for my 3D printer, although I'm looking at getting a new one, just how big would a 1/48 Vulcan be.... 🤔

5 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

what about the 1/24 Vulcan?

Now you're being silly.

Have you got a spare room? 

• Haha 2

I keep thinking Airfix should do a 1/48 DH Chipmunk... I've had loads of interest in the CAD design I've done of it for 3D printing, so many modellers flew in the Chipmunk as kids in the ATC.

Maybe its just a bit too niche being a small post war trainer?

I would be very interested to know how airfix chose what kits to do. For example, no 1/24 Spitfire IX (or a decent Mk I). Or choosing a 1/24 Hellcat over a Seafire.

I must admit, I do love the lengthy (and pointless) speculation about what Airfix are going to make. Quite often I'm not that interested in what they do release but somehow I end up buying the kits and I always enjoy building them and learning more about types I'm perhaps less interested in. 

8 out the 20 models I have on display are Airfix. Eduard come second, with 4. And Tamiya third, with 3. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chrish said:

Any interest in a Jaguar GR1/3, either scale?

Me me me!

I’ve got Kitty Hawks’ rendition on the go (slowly) and it’s fighting me all the way in a bloody battle of wills and I’d love Airfix to give it the 21st century treatment.

Trevor

Yes, I've heard the Kittyhawk Jag doesn't go together well. Good luck with yours. Are you doing a work-in-progress?

One thing that’s already been announced for 2021 is a series of new ‘Flight Deck’ YouTube videos. The first airing will coincide with the 2021 range announcement on the 6th of January.

Cheers.. Dave 

50781260337_e712e9ffbd_c.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

1/72 Lysander FTW!

Please form an orderly queue behind the Fairey Battle :D 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

One thing that’s already been announced for 2021 is a series of new ‘Flight Deck’ YouTube videos. The first airing will coincide with the 2021 range announcement on the 6th of January.

Blimey Dave, you gave me a flashback:

Glad I didn't get one as a kid having seen that video :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Glad I didn't get one as a kid having seen that video :lol:

That’s not a toy... that’s a weapon! 
Cheers and roll on 06Jan... Dave 

• Haha 1
  • Greg B locked this topic