Airfix 2021...

TEXANTOMCAT

8 hours ago, Julien said:

A little bit of unpleasantness and arguments creeping into this thread. Please dont go down that route.

I see some dry (more or less dry) humour and the usual "my scale is the best" banter.  Just the normal list of "why don't you produce something totally unlikely just because I want one".  Maybe I haven't seen  all earlier posts.  

16 hours ago, Wez said:

My understanding is that the only reason why Airfix released a 1/72nd Typhoon was for smoke and mirrors purposes, having carelessly left an Airfix labelled tape measure in the RAFM Typhoon, they released a 1/72nd one in advance of the 1/24th one they'd been measuring up for so as not to spoil the big reveal come the day.

We're a bit early for April the 1st but happy to be proved wrong

5 hours ago, RussellE said:

They should! ☺️

Its not possible. While most of the research is applicable to any scale, the different scales require separate approaches to the toolings. It is not possible to reproduce one scale into another because of moulding characteristics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Its not possible. While most of the research is applicable to any scale, the different scales require separate approaches to the toolings. It is not possible to reproduce one scale into another because of moulding characteristics.

Hi Ratch,

Whilst it's not a simple mouse click operation, it is entirely possible. ☺️

It just means starting from scratch when it comes to developing the tooling CAD...

So, I stand by my earlier comment: "they should", because I'll never buy a (for example) a 1/48 Walrus, as I simply don't have the space to display it, but I'd love to have a new tooled model of a Walrus in my collection in 1/72 👍🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Hi Ratch,

It just means starting from scratch when it comes to developing the tooling CAD...

So, I stand by my earlier comment: "they should", because I'll never buy a (for example) a 1/48 Walrus, as I simply don't have the space to display it, but I'd love to have a new tooled model of a Walrus in my collection in 1/72 👍🙂

I'm inclined to agree with you there.

Similarly, I'd never buy a 1/48 Buccaneer, phantom, Beaufort, Vulcan, Lancaster and, most, if not all of the types the 1/48 fan boys drool over!!, 😉😊.

Quite apart from size, there's the cost factor as well.

Airfix biggest market is in the most practical (1/72) scale. Let's hope that never changes.

John

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Airfix biggest market is in the most practical (1/72) scale

You would have once thought so, however with the recent announcements of many 1/48 scale kits I’m now starting to doubt this. Don’t forget the International market and we know the Americans do like things big! 

Cheers.. Dave 

11 hours ago, RussellE said:

The brevity of your comment made it sound like a one click operation. The second sentence endorses my different approach to scales assertion. Yes it can be done - it's not just a simple resizing operation.

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You would have once thought so, however with the recent announcements of many 1/48 scale kits I’m now starting to doubt this. Don’t forget the International market and we know the Americans do like things big! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Well Dave,, I think we'll have to agree to differ on that.

I don't doubt it at all, especially if you look at the sheer variety, especially of relatively obscure types that are now available in the one true scale (1/72)

Personally (and meaning no offence to anyone) I don't care about the international market or, what Americans like.

Airfix main market is in the UK and, like it or not, they appear to recognise that 1/72 is the most popular scale here.

I have nothing against 1/48 and larger per se but, as I said earlier, I wouldn't entertain subjects if they were only produced in the larger scale. That's for purely practical cost and, space reasons

John  ( wondering where to display the Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Hornet and, 1/72 Airbus A-400 he recieved for Christmas!) 😉😂

Ps - regardless of our differing opinion, hope Santa managed to dodge the COVID cops and, was as  good to you as he was to me! 👍😊

Edited by Beermonster1958
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Denford said:

Those who have views on downscaling to 1/72 should, if they are able, take the matter up with Airfix at Telford.

Just let's hope it comes to pass in 2021

Can't make it to Telford, being in Oz, but have requested numerous times a 1/72 Walrus and various others in 1/72, but the silence of the reply is quite loud 😅

On 12/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, Giorgio N said:

Predecessor to the Lancaster and looks like a Lancaster.... so why buy a Manchester when I can buy a Lancaster ?

The Manchester is one of those designs that only hard-core Bomber Command or Avro enthusiasts would be interested in ! Actually it's probably even a subject that only hard-core British aviation enthusiasts know of, an "also ran" types whose only claim to fame is to have given birth to something better and a type that the general public rarely even hear of.

If Airfix decided to make a new kit of a WW2 bomber of that size, they'd have many other types to choose that would guarantee much better sales. A B-24 for example would be a much sounder choice, a type for which they can find all the accurate information they require and for which they could offer plenty of marking choices.

(Not saying here that they will or they should do a B-24, it's just one of the several WW2 bombers better known than a Manchester that came to my mind)

I think that they should be choosing between a Lancaster and a B-25 for the year after next.

Then they can refer to the decision as "Catch-22"   :)

9 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I think that they should be choosing between a Lancaster and a B-25 for the year after next.

Then they can refer to the decision as "Catch-22"   :)

I think the Lancaster has already been tooled 3 times!

I was told by Airfix at Telford that their design of the B-25 was such that every variant of the early design ie rear main turret, could be produced from their tooling.

Might even have one announced on 6 Jan......

12 hours ago, RussellE said:

Can't make it to Telford, being in Oz, but have requested numerous times a 1/72 Walrus and various others in 1/72, but the silence of the reply is quite loud 😅

Sad to say, you are doubly unlucky!  On the Airfix stand there are voting slips (max 3 choices) for what one would like to see!

But didn't Matchbox once issue a 1/72 Walrus?  No idea who has the  mold now or if re-issues would ever be made.  Perhaps try E Bay.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Not long to go now for the 6th jan 21, most people will be moaning about this and that, just be thankful for the new releases. Be it Good or bad in your individual minds. 
sammy

I enjoy the moaning Sammy. Its the best part!.

My main concern is that we will not be able to find  out anything as, if history is anything to go by, the Airfix website will freeze up, then crash and burn completely!!

I'd most of all like to see an announcement that they had a brand new website that was actually fit for purpose. 😉😂.

John

8 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I enjoy the moaning Sammy. Its the best part!.

My main concern is that we will not be able to find  out anything as, if history is anything to go by, the Airfix website will freeze up, then crash and burn completely!!

I'd most of all like to see an announcement that they had a brand new website that was actually fit for purpose. 😉😂.

John

No need to worry about Airfix's website crashing, because from previous experience some smarty pants will not be able to resist posting the list on all modelling fora on the 5th of January. 😉

• Haha 1

Sadly whatever the Big A release will unleash the usual torrent of abuse and one upmanship that seems to pass as enlightened comment these days on the interweb.

BM is a island of politeness and reasoned discussion, other unfortunately are not.

• Like 5

• Greg B locked this topic