Airfix 2021...

Well we're over halfway through the year and perhaps it might be time to plant a thread flag in the sand for this topic.

I maintain the rumour (cos a friend has seen a built up model at Airfix HQ) that we will see a 1/72 Spitfire TR.9 ....and this is the Rumourmonger! :)

Also I imagine (and hope) that they will release a Wellington Mk X as it was the most produced variant and the number of different canopies in the IC/GR set would indicate that might happen.... I think it might just require some Hercules engines and new props - the current kit has engines/props and tailplanes on a separate sprue - would the nacelle fire wall aft need modification?

In addition the following new decals/retools/additional sprue sets may yield:

1/72 Douglas AC-47 'Spooky'

1/72 Blackburn Buccaneer - Gulf War - almost a given I would have thought 

1/72 DAP Beaufort (too many mods?)

1/72 Mig17 new variant

1/72 2 stage Mossie 

1/48 - Tiger Moth 'Civillian' or 'Wartime' or 'Foreign Users' (like the Export Sea Fury?) or floatplane?

1/48 Hunter FGA.9?

1/48 Sabre revision?

As for new kits

The new Dora Lysander may have nixed a new tool Airfix one (hope they include the 'spy' with his suitcase again if they do! )but surely..

1/72 Fairey Battle

1/72 P-51B/C - there seems the demand for it...

1/72 Hurricane (tin wing)

1/72 Hampden (is there enough of it at Cosford to work from?)

1/72 Lincoln - now I'm SURE that I heard a rumour that the red jersey brigade were climbing all over Cosford's a few years ago.... but would this depend on how the Shack sold?

1/72 Anson - (how about a C.21/ XIX) or even in 1/48...

1/72 Luftwaffe Ground set (as they have done the RAF and US already) which could then be combined with the Dornier 17 or HE111 aircraft kits in a combo box (like the Lanc and B17)  OR

1/72 V Bomber Support Set... 

Vintage Classics:

1/72 Beaver

1/72 Islander 

ditto F-84F /O1/ OV-10 

Or perhaps with the COVID delays we're just going to get the 2020 tools a year later... 

My apologies to the mods if they are currently rolling their eyes and pouring a stiff drink!

TT 

• Like 4

Could I ask you to clarify what you mean by Sabre revision, please? Sabre 4 kit modified to be built as an F-86F or as a Canadair Sabre 6?

• Like 1

No new tool 1/48th kits in your Airfix wish/rumour list... There's however at least one each year.

My preferences definitely going to British or/and RAF operated post-WWII a/c.

A D.H. Vampire or Venom ? A Supermarine Scimitar or a Swift ? A DHC-1 Chipmunk ?

Yes, I know, no 1/48th Avro Vulcan! 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I’d expect a 1/48th Hunter GA/PR. 11 at some point as parts for them are already included in the F. 4 boxing and a 1/72th Wellington II, III or X based on the separate engine/tailplane sprue in the MK. I and VIII kits.

Also in 1/48th a rebox of the Spitfire XIV in Middle- and/or Far-East colours, plus a further revision of the Meteor Mk. 8 in RAuxAF colours and/or export markings (anyone brave enough for a boxing with both Egyptian and Israeli  markings?).

Airfix are already reported as having said that they won’t do a Hampden until Cosford’s is finished but a Whitley rebox with different markings might be a possibility.

A Lincoln is an interesting prospect: more export customers than the Shackleton Mk. 2, wartime and a variety of post-war schemes, 2 types of H2S radome, different tail turret types, with or without dorsal turret (common with Shackleton) and conversion potential (engine and equipment test beds, Paraguayan meat freighters, RAF specials, I.e. Aries).

• Like 2

@stever219 good shout on all of those - especially the GA.11 I'd forgotten that and of course the lense for the Harley light is already on the clear sprue. the FEAF XIV also a good shout - and an export Meatbox -

As for 1/48 - an Anson (early) and (late) would work wouldnt it.... I doubt they would be bonkers enough to do a C.19/21 in that scale but there certainly would be mileage in a 1/72 example as IIRC the only kit of those marks was by Aeroclub many moons ago...

I would be surprised if they did the Chippie in 1/48 now having just released the Tiger  but there is a good argument for a £9.99 1/72 Chippie - like their Tiger - which could be scaled up depending on how the smaller kit sold

@Simon again good suggestions - not sure how much modification the 72 kit would need for a Bisley - but I thought I had read somewhere they had ruled out a 1/48 Blenheim IV ?

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 2

In 48 scale I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like a Vampire, Venom or Swift or something along those 1950’s jet lines following on from releases in recent years. Meteor, Javelin Hunter and Sabre (soon).

James

• Like 1

I would expect a new Lysander to be forthcoming at some point. It's been a staple of their range for ages and the old kit is certainly overdue for replacement. There are extant airframes, so something to measure and while the Dora kit is new, it's expensive for what it is and by all accounts a bit of a pig to put together.

Given the wide range of markings, the two engine options, the aircraft on the UK warbird scene and its enduring popularity, it's hard to imagine that Airfix wouldn't do one in the near future. That's a hint, by the way, Airfix!

• Like 1

Here we go again! New tools in 1/72 

Corsair, Battle (come on guys!), Hampden, P-51 (Alison engined), Fw190D,  Balliol/Sea Balliol (repeat ad nauseum until they listen)

In 1/48 Chipmunk, CCF Harvard, Jet Provost, Beaver, Balliol (it’s my list!)

Re releases Wellington II (remember there has been a 3D render of it), Spitfire FR.XIV, Comet and Vanguard

and other stuff

Trevor

• Like 1

Walrus in 1/72nd - I'm really quite amazed they haven't done this yet ... and yes, a Battle would be nice

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I would expect a new Lysander to be forthcoming at some point. It's been a staple of their range for ages and the old kit is certainly overdue for replacement. There are extant airframes, so something to measure and while the Dora kit is new, it's expensive for what it is and by all accounts a bit of a pig to put together.

Given the wide range of markings, the two engine options, the aircraft on the UK warbird scene and its enduring popularity, it's hard to imagine that Airfix wouldn't do one in the near future. That's a hint, by the way, Airfix!

Thats a fair point! Also Airfix like multiple boxings nowadays with a small sprue addition  - so an Army Co-op version with stub wings  and a Spy version with the ladder and LR tank and a foreign user RCAF bumblebee, Finnish or Egyptian version....

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Perhaps a Blenheim IV in 1/48, or Blenheim V in 1/72...?

Simon

I'd go for the IV, sadly I can't see a Mk V being a profitable kit..

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

A job for a resin conversion?

Trevor

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

They might even make separately 'poseable' slats and flaps in a way that Dora did not

• Like 2

An P-51B/C in 1/72 would be an nice thing. For sure there is an demand for an accurate one. And please with landinggears, antenna and stick that can be used to it.

And I wouldn't say no to an 1/72 Scimitar... ;)

Cheers / André 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Like the Mk. I the IV and V would each produce one VC winner, posthumously in the latter case.  Both marks were operated at home and abroad in a variety of colour schemes so why not kit them?

3 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Hi SAT69 - I'm no Sabre expert I just figured there would be another boxing of a different variant ;)

I will happily go along with that and would be thrilled, as would others here from what I can gather, with an F-86H. I don't normally do 1/72 but for an H model Sabre, I'll submit!

• Like 1

I've been expecting a Ju88A-1 for a few years now. If it's not announced this year I guess they'll cede to Revell's.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I've been expecting a Ju88A-1 for a few years now. If it's not announced this year I guess they'll cede to Revell's.

I had convinced myself that Airfix would do the Ju 88A-1 before too long, but I can't say that I'm disappointed that Revell beat them to it, given that their existing Ju 88 kits are so well reviewed.

• Like 1

To be honest I couldnt care what Airfix may or may not do in the future

I have have reached breaking point over the number of Airfix short shots such as Sea fury Vertical stabilisers, beaufighter air intakes, meteor horizontal stabilizers, and the final straw 1/72 P51 Mustang main gear legs bent into near u-bend shapes in two seperate kits

Until Airfix can up the quality of their kits I wont be wasting any more of my hard earned money on them, sadly

• Thanks 1

I think the issue is with quality control and this is an issue that has been raised with Airfix and they may be taking some notice. I do not think I have had any issues with a recent Airfix kit and so must be lucky. 

My guess for 2021 is catch up on what will be late this year because of Covid19, which is still hitting India hard. If the parts have been tooled then I would have thought the Wellington II would arrive. A III or X would be a bit more involved as it would need a new rear fuselage for the four gun turret and changes to the windows. 

12 minutes ago, Web99 said:

Single seater venoms haven’t been in plastic for 65 years...

Although Aeroclub also did an injection-mould Mk.1 and a Mk.4, I know what you mean.

• Greg B locked this topic