Hellenic Air force F-84F color I.D. ?

Looking for color analysis of this Greek Air Force F-84F.

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/45032/M/Greece-Air-Force/Republic-F-84F-Thunderstreak/52-6789/

It looks similar to the Aegean Blue used on the F-4E’s. I don't know if it ever wore the scheme operationally but I would like to build one in this scheme anyways. I have an Airfix kit looking for a scheme. If not this one its going to be Illinois Air National guard. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I can't be sure, but I think it might be a lighter series of greys.

On one hand, I wonder if the water is darkening the appearance, but then I think maybe the original hues have faded to the point that it looks a lot lighter.

There are some more pictures here, but to me, they highlight the super faded aspect of the paint: http://bdd.deltareflex.com/cns_galerie.php?num=52-6789

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dennis, these machines es were retired before these colours became used. In answer to your question, therefore, it wasn’t carried operationally. For operational machines you have two options - NMF and SEA-style camo. Good luck! Martin

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Dennis, these machines es were retired before these colours became used. In answer to your question, therefore, it wasn’t carried operationally. For operational machines you have two options - NMF and SEA-style camo. Good luck! Martin

30 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Nothing Greek about that scheme.

F-84F’s in Hellenic service wore NMF and SEA as stated above, as well as the standard NATO Green/Grey camo

Thank you both, yes I knew it was very unlikely an active scheme. I was more curious as to opinions on the Colors for a possible Whif ? As it did actually exist if only as a static display or training target ? The faded photos in @Blimpyboy’s link show it very likely water soluble paint applied over SEA Camouflage as you can easily pick out the colors underneath. If not this Whif Greek option, then an Illinois A.N.G. In SEA camouflage. Not a huge fan of the NATO Green/Grey camo as I already apply it to to many WW2 aircraft, I’ve got two USAF Streaks already in NMF so Im always Looking for a bit of variety and eye catching schemes. 

The first photograph on this thread was taken at Ramstein's BDRF in 1993, so I would hazard a guess of FS 36118 and 36270, standard colours of both the F-16 and F-4E/G's at the time.

Why don't you just build it as a Hellenic a/c in SEA?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

The first photograph on this thread was taken at Ramstein's BDRF in 1993, so I would hazard a guess of FS 36118 and 36270, standard colours of both the F-16 and F-4E/G's at the time.

Why don't you just build it as a Hellenic a/c in SEA?

Thanks and that is a possibility, the build is just now starting to collect info. I wont actually get to the kit for a few months. I won’t make a final decision with a scheme until this is almost ready for paint. I usually have 3-7 options to choose from and this is just one for this build. The others are two schemes are Illinois ANG(NMF/SEA), Three for Greece (NMF/SEA/This one), one NMF German, and USAF NMF. It all depends on how much sanding and re-scribing work I will need to do. The more damage to the surface of the kit the more likely it will get a heavy camouflage job. The less damage done the more likely it would go towards a NMF. As for Illinois Vs Hellenic in SEA. Im also trying build a collection of aircraft in the colors of ANG/Active units of States Ive lived in. Otherwise I would go with a faded Hellenic scheme. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Dennis,

If you do a search for F-84F 52-6789, you will find a ton of photos. According to the Forgotten Jets website, it went from the USAF to the West German AF and then to the Hellenic AF. In the photos you can clearly see the faded remnants of the SEA camouflage, as well as a very faded ANG badge on the fin. As @scotthldr stated, it was used for BDA at Ramstein and the greys you see  were most likely applied over the original colors for some reason. It would make a great WIF project, especially with all those faded colors showing. Codes worn when in German markings were DE376 and DE244, so you might look those up. Initial assignment was with the USAF 81st FBW, then the 78th FS ANG, from 1954-55. (photo via Avia Deja Vu)

Squadron colors were red, yellow, and I think blue on the 81st Thunderjets.

Mike

markings used by 81st FBW sister ship

51-1.jpg

• Like 1

Judging by the contrast in grays in the first image, FS36118 seems like a good possibility for the upper color but I would suggest 36375 Light Ghost Gray for the lighter color.  I don't believe these were "temporary" paints, so much as once painted the grays were not maintained in any real fashion - ergo the later photos showing the SEA scheme beneath starting to show through.

This appears to have been a BDR airframe in Germany, but the Greek connection reminded me of some similar "post-service" schemes the Hellenic AF used on retired types that were set up in their home country as airfield decoys (e.g. F-102s as decoy Mirage 2000s, and a Mirage F.1 in the "Ghost" scheme).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1