1/72 Trumpeter Gannet. Indonesian Navy

Hi all ,there is some really interesting stuff appearing here!😃 The links and pictures of the models have been a great help in answering questions for me regarding the colour scheme so thanks everyone for posting them. The museum aircraft pictures seem to have the demarcation line along the leading edge whereas the photos show a wrap under as per the FAA. Also the grey on the nose doesn't extend to the propeller, and there is an Indonesian flag/flash on the tail which no photo shows.  So I've plumped for the scheme you see below and it will just have a number on the tail. This seems to be pretty close to the actual photos. The only thing I can't see is if there should be anti slip walkways on the top of the wing adjacent to the fuselage like the FAA.

On 24/07/2020 at 01:26, Lifeline said:

One info you probably have in your collection is whether Angkatan Laut ever fold the wings of their Gannets? 

I never saw a picture of it, but I do know that I want to build mine as folded too

Hi Mario, with regard to Indonesian aircraft folding their wings, I would expect that during training post delivery the function would have been demonstrated. Also during scheduled maintenance I expect the wing fold mechanism was exercised to gain access to components for inspection/lubrication purposes and corrosion inspections on the accessible wing formers. So even if not left on the flight line with the wings folded I think they must have been folded at some time. So go for the wing fold option on that basis. I am😁.

A few more pictures.

The picture of the blades shows the difference between the two prop sets in the kit, quite marked when next to each other. The last picture shows the main painting done (Xtra Colour sky and extra dark sea grey) before any touch up has been done, just waiting for it to dry. Decals, panelling and a little weathering next, then matting down and on with the wings. Getting there!

Shows the grey to the nose spacer.png and the anti slip.                             

spacer.png   ??

spacer.png

spacer.png Basics applied

humbrol 191 plus a little matt black for the base colour of the bays             spacer.png

spacer.png resin mechanism flaps/panels on and painted

• Like 8

Indonesian Gannets are complex things when comes to identity and markings, because they changed their minds so frequently.

They did have the non-slip walkways.

As delivered, some had the last two digits on the fin top, black spinners, 'ANGL LAUT' in black on the upper stb'd wing and the extra dark sea grey top colour finished middle of the leading edge, while others had the flash/three short vertical bars on top of the fin, light blue spinners, 'ANGK LAUT' across the top of the stb'd wing in light grey, and the grey top wrapped under the wing leading edges.  

To my mind the second of these schemes was the most attractive.  I would definitely ignore the preserved aircraft as reliable references!

The wings, I used to know someone who was at White Waltham while the Indonesian contract was happening and he did say that the Indonesian Gannets didn't have wing folding equipment, I took this as not fitted with the relevant hydraulics etc, but the Indonesian sourced article linked to earlier goes as far as to say that the wings were fixed. 

Whether this means that they couldn't be folded manually for inspections etc I don't know, but like Mario, I have never seen pictures of them folded, even at Fairey's or during their transit where one might expect to see that.

Those prop blades don't look great, but I would take it that the shorter ones go on the rear prop, but I don't have this kit.

Your build is coming along beautifully though, and all that hard work is definitely paying off, the paint finish is outstanding👍 Also impressed on how much work you've done in a short time frame.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

The wings, I used to know someone who was at White Waltham while the Indonesian contract was happening and he did say that the Indonesian Gannets didn't have wing folding equipment, I took this as not fitted with the relevant hydraulics etc, but the Indonesian sourced article linked to earlier goes as far as to say that the wings were fixed. 

Whether this means that they couldn't be folded manually for inspections etc I don't know, but like Mario, I have never seen pictures of them folded, even at Fairey's or during their transit where one might expect to see that.

:cry: Oh well, onwards and upwards😁

• Like 1

No worries James, its great that all this information is being shared as the build continues and I look forward to seeing and reading more. ( Anyway I bet the wings folded when they were scrapped😅).

cheers

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Indonesian Gannets are complex things when comes to identity and markings, because they changed their minds so frequently.

They did have the non-slip walkways.

As delivered, some had the last two digits on the fin top, black spinners, 'ANGL LAUT' in black on the upper stb'd wing and the extra dark sea grey top colour finished middle of the leading edge, while others had the flash/three short vertical bars on top of the fin, light blue spinners, 'ANGK LAUT' across the top of the stb'd wing in light grey, and the grey top wrapped under the wing leading edges.  

To my mind the second of these schemes was the most attractive.  I would definitely ignore the preserved aircraft as reliable references!

And the fact they don't have any records of it just making it worst... 

Seconded @71chally  about the referencing the preserved aircraft.

The one on front of Surabaya Int'l Airport? It was ppainted light grey and marked following the scheme of current Indonesian Navy 😅

Cheers, 

Mario

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bit of a jump forward chaps!

Next stage was to paint the tyres with Xtra Colour tyre black.  When dry the hubs were treated to thinned matt black touched to the detail with a detailer brush to allow capillary action to do its work. At this point I decided to do the whole aircraft in this manner rather than use my usual wash. which can make things a bit too dirty. I touch the detailer brush to an engraved panel line, allow the thinned paint to run along the groove, then with thinner dampened finger quickly smear/wipe off the excess where the brush touched the structure adjacent to the panel line.  The base coat must be dry though or DISASTER.

Home made decals next.  I chose to go for the black lettering as the sky colour wasn't correct and didn't show very well over the dark grey. The decals were sealed in with liquid decal film. Unfortunately I didn't use enough on some of the national markings and the red printer ink smeared when I was removing the decals from the backing paper.

Luckily I made more than I needed.

spacer.png    y4mJ9M6TgnEx3P5tt9F4h7pil7zRZW-Y6Zv3WfbV bit of a smear

spacer.png

They don't look too bad once applied, although there is a bit more carrier visible round the lettering edges than with bought decals.

spacer.png

The doors were added which took some time as they were slightly warped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The parts were sprayed with Xtra Colour semi gloss satin varnish, and then Tamiya weathering powders were used sparingly on the foot holds and control surfaces.

spacer.png

The pre prepared wing centre sections were now refitted and super glued in place ready for the outer wing section and the wing fold details. Plus it sprouted an aerial and hook.

Nearly there I think!

• Like 12

Good evening everyone - Pete that's a lovely job you're making of the Indonesian Gannet!

On 26/07/2020 at 15:13, 71chally said:

@Blackmike Have you seen the Askins' Gannet From the Cockpit book?   There is a bit in there with some nice colour photos showing the Indonesian Gannets being delivered, it might even mention your father.

71chally - no I'm afraid I haven't seen the Askins book, but it would be very interesting so I must look out for it (do love browsing aviation books especially at airshows). 

To all: I've managed to get a 5-minute clip (link below) from cine film showing some Angk Laut Gannets on a formation flight. It was taken by my Dad and while the quality is not brilliant it does give some good information. Please ignore the 5 or so seconds of a cricket match at the very start!  There's also shots of some Mustangs preparing to take-off.  

The film does work on my MacBook but I'm not technical enough to know if it will play on all devices!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e303dbijfaez73/Fairey Gannet Indonesia circa 1960.mov?dl=0

Mike  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Absolutely incredible, Gannet gold dust!  Amazing film, which shows that even a year after some had been delivered that the markings had changed again.

Great formation and starting shots, and certainly the clearest images of Gannets in Indonesia that I have ever seen.

Looks like a couple of quick shots on Indonesian Mustangs as well.

Thank you for digitising, and posting here Mike.  Plays on my Windows laptop great.

@Pete in a shed your build is coming on superbly, lovely clean work especially on the added details such as the bomb bay and folds etc.  Looks great.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 2:27 AM, Seahawk said:

Agreed but both kits have their problems.  See this thread from 2010 illuminated by close-up photos of the real thing.

My own conclusion is in post 19: a win on points to Revell because the faults can be attenuated more easily than the Trumpeter's but certainly no knockout.   

BTW Danni's measurement of 945mm as the radome diameter is 37.2" in proper money, which means that Revell's radome is only slightly too big (equates to 37.6") but Trumpeter's is considerably too small (equates to 29.5").

Good God, Dad actually got a mention for a change.

Might think about putting her back in the will 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all, Many thanks for the comments regarding the build.

16 hours ago, Blackmike said:

To all: I've managed to get a 5-minute clip (link below) from cine film showing some Angk Laut Gannets on a formation flight. It was taken by my Dad and while the quality is not brilliant it does give some good information.

Mike, the clip you've posted is truly a snapshot of Gannet aviation history! I'm sure the Indonesian Air Force/Naval museum would be very interested in the footage, you should drop them a line.

I always think that home made film footage is so more evocative than professional filming, in that it seems to capture the enthusiasm and excitement of the individual behind the camera as well as the subject matter. Thank you very much for taking the time to post it, I've watched it three times already, good cricket too.🙂

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

On 8/4/2020 at 3:51 AM, Pete in a shed said:

spacer.png    y4mJ9M6TgnEx3P5tt9F4h7pil7zRZW-Y6Zv3WfbV bit of a smear

They don't look too bad once applied, although there is a bit more carrier visible round the lettering edges than with bought decals.

spacer.png

The doors were added which took some time as they were slightly warped.

That's a beautiful bomb bay @Pete in a shed, I didn't notice the warp if you're not told me.

And the Decals looks nice and thin too... What paper and printer did you use? 

And as for the video... Thank you very much for sharing this treasure @Blackmike... the system in my rig is blocking access to dropbox, so I had my wife back home to safe it and email it to me yesterday

(I have to explain her the importance of sending me -in her word- "video of guppy airplane which puff smoke", though)

I must admit, I'm a grown man, but watching Angkatan Laut Gannet in video (in colour too!) made me shriek.

And the frame showing the mythical green mustangs (4!) made me cursing with happiness...   😅

This is the best movie I watch in 2020, You don't happen to have other clips do you?

I agree with Pete, Someone here would be interested on this footage.

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 2

Hi everyone - I'm really pleased that the Gannet video (it was, incidentally, titled [in my Dad's collection] 'Janet flight' which I take to be the formation callsign) has been helpful and informative.

Mario - I'm not sure if there is any more 'aviation film' in my Dad's collection - though we have a few films being processed right now. Needless to say that if there is, I'll post it!

71chally - thanks for the heads-up about the sale of the Atkins book - have pm'd Ali62 to check availability. 

Finally - great job on the build, Pete - looking lovely!!

Mike

• Like 2

Hi all

13 hours ago, Lifeline said:

And the Decals looks nice and thin too... What paper and printer did you use? 

Mario - the printer I use is just a mainstream HP Envy 5540. The paper is from a company called Crafty Computer Paper (website details below). I use Inkjet White paper for the national insignia and Inkjet Clear for the lettering and numbers. I'm sure you will be able to source similar paper from closer to home.

spacer.png

There is another option, maybe you could  get what you need for your build through the Asian Air Arms website. (IPMS sig) The sheets are not always obtainable as they are made in small numbers, but it may be worth your while contacting them to see if there are some available. Details below.

spacer.png

All - Got a little further on with the build. The top wing has been Fitted and the remaining wing fold parts added. I used a combination of resin, brass and wire for the detailing as the resin conversion parts were quite delicate. I managed to break two parts while I was fitting them.

spacer.png its not really this shiny!

spacer.png

The wing stay is provided in resin but is so distorted its useless. I cut the rod parts off and drilled through the attachment point. I then inserted a length of similar diameter brass rod through the part and superglued it in place. job done apart from the red paint.

spacer.png    spacer.png

Final assembly next with a little more staining to be applied underneath (after seeing the film clip).

• Like 8

Pete 

Just caught up with this and you have done a superb job. What a great model that has emerged from a real fight by the look of it.  

I am off to log into my computer so I can save to favourites for reference material in this thread and the links for my Gannet as I have the Revell kit with the Alley Cat wing fold to do 

Great work with the emphasis on work as you really had to with the Trumpeter Kit.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 12/08/2020 at 09:17, bigbadbadge said:

I am off to log into my computer so I can save to favourites for reference material in this thread and the links for my Gannet as I have the Revell kit with the Alley Cat wing fold to do

Chris

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you think the thread will be of some assistance in your build and I'm looking forward to watching it unfold, (Didn't plan to use that word, honest😅) what's it to be, Angk Laut, German, Aussie or FAA?

Cheers

Pete

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Chris

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you think the thread will be of some assistance in your build and I'm looking forward to watching it unfold, (Didn't plan to use that word, honest😅) what's it to be, Angk Laut, German, Aussie or FAA?

Cheers

Pete

Brilliant Pete.  I will do a FAA machine for HMS Centaur.  I am not sure if I will start a WIP though.

Chris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant Pete.  I will do a FAA machine for HMS Centaur.  I am not sure if I will start a WIP though.

Chris

It will be good to see her if you do, but I know WIPs can be a curse!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

It will be good to see her if you do, but I know WIPs can be a curse!

Thanks, I have just invested in a new phone so once set up it may be easier to upload to the computer than my current phone so I may do it, it can be a bit of a mojo sapper. We will see!!!

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks, I have just invested in a new phone so once set up it may be easier to upload to the computer than my current phone so I may do it, it can be a bit of a mojo sapper. We will see!!!

Chris

I haven’t bothered with a pc to upload photos in years. I have a boggo standard iPhone 7 an app and directly upload pix from that. Works fine. 👍🏻

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1