Mirage V M50

Papa Delta

The Chilean Mirage M5M Elkan were 20 modernized Belgium Mirage 5BAs; the main visual differences from the older 5BAs being a different Vertical Stabilizer, Canards, Laser Designator under the nose, and an In-Flight Refuelling Probe on the right side engine intake. 

As posted by scotthldr, Eagle Design used to offer an Elkan conversion kit but his site now says that all production has stopped and he does not know when or if it will ever start up again.

So your best starting point is to try and find a Wingman Models Mir 5BA kit, they pop up occasionally on eBay but they are not cheap. The Wingman kit uses the Kinetic  Mirage IIIE / 5 as a base but has resin parts for the 5BA including the 5BA nose, keel beam flaring, exhaust nozzle, cockpit, later ejection seat, Elkan style vertical stabilizer, and the Chaff / Flare Dispenser that the late 5BA & Elkan had on the right bottom rear side near the wing root. You will have to come up with the Canards (which are easy to make), In-Flight Refuelling Probe, and a Laser Designator. There is a guy in Peru that has released a bunch of really nice 1/48 Mirage conversion and he said he was going to release an Elkan in 2018 but nothing so far; he did recently release a 1/32 Elkan conversion however. In his other 1/48 Mirage conversions you can come up with the In-Flight Refuelling Probe, and a Laser Designator that is close to one on the Elkan but unfortunately he does not have one set that has both in it. When I tried to buy the parts separately the answer was no; really wish he would get around to releasing the Elkan in 1/48.

After you have what you need for the aircraft you have to come up with marking but there are none in 1/48; 1/72 and 1/32 yes but no 1/48 that I know of. The guy in Peru said he was going to release some and he has released a 1/32 set and several nice 1/48 Mirage sets including markings for the Chilean M50 Pantera but none have the Elkan on them.  He does not have a web site but he is on Facebook listed as Antarki Model Kits Perú but it has not been updated since April; his email address is on there also.

Hope this helps

Jim Barr

• Like 1

Not much to add actually, maybe a Pantera is easier to achieve... kinf of crafts a Cheetah E nose on... so Scaleworks is another ~ option ..

EagleDesign can be found on Ebay from time to time, also check Aviation Megastore.

Antarki is VERY  nice, but equally hard to get. Hannants has them occasionally... but they also ship directly ($$!)

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/15/2020 at 3:13 PM, Papa Delta said:

Want to build a 1/48 Chilean Mirage M50 Elkan. Any suggestions for a starter kit? Aftermarket? 

There are two late chilean Mirages. One is the M5M "Elkan" based in belgian Mirsip proyect, with laser designator, canards, new tailfin base, and only few of these planes used IFR probe. The other is M50 Pantera: a Mirage 50C/FC modernized with new nose with range finder radar, IFR probe, canards, "a - la - Kfir". There are no chilean M50 Elkan

• Like 2

as Jacarre says, at 1/48 scale, Antakari have a nice conversion of Mirage Pantera (former M50C/FC) for Kinetic kit, highly recommended.

For Elkan Mirage 5M (former Mirage 5BA Belgian) you need the Wingman kit. The IFR Probe do not need because only was a test. The canards, laser finger (no designator) and new RWR at the base of vertical tail are all part of Mirsip project, made by SABCA at Belgium before the fleet was sold to Chile. (Or waiting for antakari set for Mirage V Kinetic).

Cheers

Gremlin

Interesting that the refueling probe was only a test; I was able to attend several FIDAE air shows back in the early 20's and the two times that I took photos of the Elkan they had refueling probes, aircraft # 706 & #713. I did go back and look through the three Chilean books from Archivo Fotografico on the Elkan that I picked up and as you say, there are only a couple of shots with the refueling probe and they are of aircraft #713.

The laser housing under the nose you say is not a designator but a "finger", could you please explain.

Thanks for the info

Jim Barr

8 hours ago, Jim Barr said:

The laser housing under the nose you say is not a designator but a "finger", could you please explain.

I believe it's either a range measuring type, or a laser spot tracker / LRMTS like the Pave Penny or Harrier GR.3 - unable to laser designate targets itself, but able to pick up targets 'sparkled' by either other aircraft or eyes on the ground.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jim Barr said:

Thanks for the info

Jim Barr

sorry for the delay, yes is Thomson-TRT Defense TMV 630 laser range FINDER, my fault, autocorrection...

and IFR probe was only test on that especifics airframes, 713 and 706. It´s shows at FIDAE 2004 & 2006 and the Elkan was grounded (put in reserve) at end 2007, so never was operational as Mirage 50CN Pantera.

cheers