Star Trek TOS USS Enterprise Colours

I have the Revell kit.  I only want to do a basic OOB build with a simple lighting kit.  Not going to go to town, extra detailing, filling in the grooves on the saucer, just straight out the box.

Anyway, after some advice on colours - I don’t like mixing paints, happy with close enough.

Any suggestions or pointers to guides would be really welcome.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Heres some shots of the model the Revell Enterprise is based on, despite the box saying The Original Series, its actually the Enterprise as depicted in a DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations. A complete new model was made for filming.

constitution_class_trial_and_tribulation

All the best Chris

• Like 4

I sprayed mine a home brewed light grey. Came out too dark, so misted it over with Tamiya Fine White rattle can primer to lighten it. Looks like the one I saw on TV aged 6, so happy with the colour myself.

2019-02-20_04-22-04

2019-02-20_04-20-58

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

According to the book 'The making of Star Trek' by Whitfield and Roddenberry, the model was painted with grey auto primer. It looks far lighter on TV due to the very intense lighting needed at the time.
Interestingly, the model was also designed to be the other way up - saucer at the bottom.
Roddenberry turned it over and that was it...

Edited by roymattblack

On 8/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Looks good!

Though I've never been a fan of the grid work on the saucer section. Other than that, great finish too :)

The grid has always been controversial. My understanding is that it was part of Matt Jeffries' original drawings of the ship, as reproduced in The Making of Star Trek, but wasn't present on the filming models in the way most kits represent it -- that is, as either raised or recessed panel lines. Instead, it was drawn on lightly using a pencil, which made for much lighter lines, to the point where, like the "rust belt", it can be difficult to even see it on the original film. IIRC, it's a bit more prominent in the remastered version.

And yes, the model looks good. 😀

• Like 1