best primer/undercoat for dayglo orange.

Whofan

I am sure that somewhere in Britmodellers I saw something that suggested using a pink colour as a basecoat (undecoat/primer) for dayglo orange.

Am I right, or was I dreaming?

I'm shortly starting an Airfix J 29 Tunnan as an Austrian service aircraft, and it requires dayglo orange in various places.

If I'm wrong, I might use yellow as a base coat because the photos I have of J 29's in Austrian servic shows the orange to have a distinct yellow tinge. ( I think faded/weathered rather than applied)

Can anyone confirm what I saw, or more likely that I'm wrong?

Whofan

You might want to consider using pink primer as the base coat. I had rea that pink is a good base-coat for both fluorescent red and yellow, so I tried it on a recent build I did of the old Revell Talos missile. Here you can see the upper stage of the Talos in pink while the lower stage s MR Surfacer gray.

NhfakXd.jpg?1

And here is the Talos missile after it was finished. The camera does not do justice for how the red has a visual "pop" to the eye. 

ZaoqF8b.jpg?1

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:38 PM, Whofan said:

I am sure that somewhere in Britmodellers I saw something that suggested using a pink colour as a basecoat (undecoat/primer) for dayglo orange.

Am I right, or was I dreaming?

I'm shortly starting an Airfix J 29 Tunnan as an Austrian service aircraft, and it requires dayglo orange in various places.

If I'm wrong, I might use yellow as a base coat because the photos I have of J 29's in Austrian servic shows the orange to have a distinct yellow tinge. ( I think faded/weathered rather than applied)

Can anyone confirm what I saw, or more likely that I'm wrong?

I soon will be using "luminescent orange" for a trainer aircraft. This will be my first time using it. I was thinking best is white. But since i want to give it a faded look, by some light sanding over the orange, I think ill spray it with yellow. As from photos im seeing when it fades it turns a bit yellow/orange. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2020 at 00:58, PhantomMJI said:

Whofan

You might want to consider using pink primer as the base coat. I had rea that pink is a good base-coat for both fluorescent red and yellow, so I tried it on a recent build I did of the old Revell Talos missile. Here you can see the upper stage of the Talos in pink while the lower stage s MR Surfacer gray.

And here is the Talos missile after it was finished. The camera does not do justice for how the red has a visual "pop" to the eye. 

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

Thanks Mike.

As I originally thought, pink might well be a letter colour as a primer. Your model certainly looks good!

26 minutes ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

I soon will be using "luminescent orange" for a trainer aircraft. This will be my first time using it. I was thinking best is white. But since i want to give it a faded look, by some light sanding over the orange, I think ill spray it with yellow. As from photos im seeing when it fades it turns a bit yellow/orange. 

Adrian, thanks.

What is interesting is you say that flourescent orange fades to a yellow/orange, as the photos in a reference book on Tunnans I have clearly shows very a yellow tinge to the orange. I had thought perhaps of overpainting the orange with a clear yellow, if such a thing exists, but in all honesty decided to do it a straight orange - my models tend to be painted as though they are still in the factory awaiting delivery!

However, I might well experiment in getting that yellow/orange look, first.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, Whofan said:

Adrian, thanks.

What is interesting is you say that flourescent orange fades to a yellow/orange, as the photos in a reference book on Tunnans I have clearly shows very a yellow tinge to the orange. I had thought perhaps of overpainting the orange with a clear yellow, if such a thing exists, but in all honesty decided to do it a straight orange - my models tend to be painted as though they are still in the factory awaiting delivery!

However, I might well experiment in getting that yellow/orange look, first.

These are the photos im following:

As we can see it fades easily and it turns to a very light yellow/orange.
Tempted to play safe and just spray orange! I hope when i light sand the orange, the yellow undercoat wont come off too! Not sure how to do it. Or maybe a very light, quick and thinned airbrushing session?

Please post your progress!

Kx7OLMMbcZeeD0MyvlSJjkYNO7hbvApOFRcG8bMi

EPfbEFxIY3ajAv7zdhjk_I2PJMQQrDzhaNOHgVUE

MT43-PhL-01.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

These are the photos im following:

As we can see it fades easily and it turns to a very light yellow/orange.
Tempted to play safe and just spray orange! I hope when i light sand the orange, the yellow undercoat wont come off too! Not sure how to do it. Or maybe a very light, quick and thinned airbrushing session?

Please post your progress!

Kx7OLMMbcZeeD0MyvlSJjkYNO7hbvApOFRcG8bMi

EPfbEFxIY3ajAv7zdhjk_I2PJMQQrDzhaNOHgVUE

MT43-PhL-01.jpg

That's pretty much exactly how the orange has gone in the photo's I have in the book on Tunnans. I'll have to finish off a couple of other kits before I get stuck into the Tunnan, but hopefully I'll remember to post what I end up doing !

• Thanks 1