Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Whofan

best primer/undercoat for dayglo orange.

Recommended Posts

I am sure that somewhere in Britmodellers I saw something that suggested using a pink colour as a basecoat (undecoat/primer) for dayglo orange.

 

Am I right, or was I dreaming?

 

I'm shortly starting an Airfix J 29 Tunnan as an Austrian service aircraft, and it requires dayglo orange in various places.

 

If I'm wrong, I might use yellow as a base coat because the photos I have of J 29's in Austrian servic shows the orange to have a distinct yellow tinge. ( I think faded/weathered rather than applied)

 

Can anyone confirm what I saw, or more likely that I'm wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

White  primer for dayglo.

 

Tommo

Thanks Tommo, I've got plenty of Halfords best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whofan

 

You might want to consider using pink primer as the base coat. I had rea that pink is a good base-coat for both fluorescent red and yellow, so I tried it on a recent build I did of the old Revell Talos missile. Here you can see the upper stage of the Talos in pink while the lower stage s MR Surfacer gray.

 

NhfakXd.jpg?1

 

And here is the Talos missile after it was finished. The camera does not do justice for how the red has a visual "pop" to the eye. 

 

ZaoqF8b.jpg?1

 

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 6:38 PM, Whofan said:

I am sure that somewhere in Britmodellers I saw something that suggested using a pink colour as a basecoat (undecoat/primer) for dayglo orange.

 

Am I right, or was I dreaming?

 

I'm shortly starting an Airfix J 29 Tunnan as an Austrian service aircraft, and it requires dayglo orange in various places.

 

If I'm wrong, I might use yellow as a base coat because the photos I have of J 29's in Austrian servic shows the orange to have a distinct yellow tinge. ( I think faded/weathered rather than applied)

 

Can anyone confirm what I saw, or more likely that I'm wrong?

I soon will be using "luminescent orange" for a trainer aircraft. This will be my first time using it. I was thinking best is white. But since i want to give it a faded look, by some light sanding over the orange, I think ill spray it with yellow. As from photos im seeing when it fades it turns a bit yellow/orange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/07/2020 at 00:58, PhantomMJI said:

Whofan

 

You might want to consider using pink primer as the base coat. I had rea that pink is a good base-coat for both fluorescent red and yellow, so I tried it on a recent build I did of the old Revell Talos missile. Here you can see the upper stage of the Talos in pink while the lower stage s MR Surfacer gray.

 

 

 

And here is the Talos missile after it was finished. The camera does not do justice for how the red has a visual "pop" to the eye. 

 

 

 

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

Thanks Mike.

 

As I originally thought, pink might well be a letter colour as a primer. Your model certainly looks good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

I soon will be using "luminescent orange" for a trainer aircraft. This will be my first time using it. I was thinking best is white. But since i want to give it a faded look, by some light sanding over the orange, I think ill spray it with yellow. As from photos im seeing when it fades it turns a bit yellow/orange. 

Adrian, thanks.

 

What is interesting is you say that flourescent orange fades to a yellow/orange, as the photos in a reference book on Tunnans I have clearly shows very a yellow tinge to the orange. I had thought perhaps of overpainting the orange with a clear yellow, if such a thing exists, but in all honesty decided to do it a straight orange - my models tend to be painted as though they are still in the factory awaiting delivery!

 

However, I might well experiment in getting that yellow/orange look, first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, Whofan said:

Adrian, thanks.

 

What is interesting is you say that flourescent orange fades to a yellow/orange, as the photos in a reference book on Tunnans I have clearly shows very a yellow tinge to the orange. I had thought perhaps of overpainting the orange with a clear yellow, if such a thing exists, but in all honesty decided to do it a straight orange - my models tend to be painted as though they are still in the factory awaiting delivery!

 

However, I might well experiment in getting that yellow/orange look, first.

 

These are the photos im following:

As we can see it fades easily and it turns to a very light yellow/orange.
Tempted to play safe and just spray orange! I hope when i light sand the orange, the yellow undercoat wont come off too! Not sure how to do it. Or maybe a very light, quick and thinned airbrushing session?


Please post your progress!

 

Kx7OLMMbcZeeD0MyvlSJjkYNO7hbvApOFRcG8bMi

 

EPfbEFxIY3ajAv7zdhjk_I2PJMQQrDzhaNOHgVUE

 

MT43-PhL-01.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

 

These are the photos im following:

As we can see it fades easily and it turns to a very light yellow/orange.
Tempted to play safe and just spray orange! I hope when i light sand the orange, the yellow undercoat wont come off too! Not sure how to do it. Or maybe a very light, quick and thinned airbrushing session?


Please post your progress!

 

Kx7OLMMbcZeeD0MyvlSJjkYNO7hbvApOFRcG8bMi

 

EPfbEFxIY3ajAv7zdhjk_I2PJMQQrDzhaNOHgVUE

 

MT43-PhL-01.jpg

 

 

 

That's pretty much exactly how the orange has gone in the photo's I have in the book on Tunnans. I'll have to finish off a couple of other kits before I get stuck into the Tunnan, but hopefully I'll remember to post what I end up doing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...