HP Hampden

You know how it is when you get a kit that just fights you till the end, well this is one of those.  I had reasons for getting this done besides having it next to my Whitley and Wellington (that is being worked on next).

Originally this was to be the Valom boxing.  That got so far, but I messed up the wing joints and the legendary fit of the clear parts defeated me (even tried the Airfix and falcon versions to see if some combination would work).

Then the AZ version with new clear parts came into my possession .

This time it would work! There would be no duff wing/fuselage joints! The glazing would fit!  ebay provided the torpedo upgrade set! I had the Authentic Decals decal sheet! What could possibly go wrong?

Yeh, well, the wings had to come off as I mucked that up again. Chucked a load of filler at it, and called it a fit. After ignoring it for a while I decided it was time to just finish it and be damned.

It will grace the collection until airfix or someone does a better version.

Even now as I look at the photos I realise I have a) missed the aerial lines off b) not fitted the exhausts! Life...............

comments welcome.

Tim

mqYhNp3.jpg

dz5IlMs.jpg

b4TowrM.jpg

7akZPH0.jpg

B2UcoH2.jpg

627KdFw.jpg

gzUqDJ4.jpg

yEaDhZH.jpg

VAWTy3V.jpg

AC42GQW.jpg

trhpj3D.jpg

• Like 69
  • Thanks 2

Despite everything it came out very well indeed!

I'd be happy if the Airfix kit in my stash (since about 1980 😜) would come out like yours whenever I get round to it!

Miguel

Well, your efforts certainly paid off and it is in a different league to my my parlous effort.  I found the AZ instructions less than clear and fitted the engines wrong so that the intakes are on top centre of the cowlings, rather than off centre as they should be.  It was too late when I realised so I'm just going to have to live with it. 

I think it looks great. The canopy painting is exceptional.

I have the Airfix Hampden to do next - too scared to try the others, especially after your trials with them.

Michael

Well done for sticking with it Tim and presenting a wonderful Hampden to us. I had no idea before that the torpedo required removal of the ventral gunners position.

Superb photographs.

regards, adey

Not removed, just reduced in depth to cleat the Monoplane air tail, with an arch in the rear bombbay aft bulkhead.  The outer bombbay doors are closed as on the bomber, the inner ones are closed until they rest on the sides of the torpedo, then close normally after this is dropped.

Congratulations on your perseverance Tim!!!!!  You conquered the demons to perfection.  You Tim, are the archangel of the model world!!!!!! 😉 

I applaud your efforts and most importantly, the results!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Hello Fishbed,

Despite the struggle, for me it is a topper.

The hampden is not often seen.

Regards, Orion