Old school kits made simply. Hawker Sea Hawk and EE Canberra B.1(8)

As Obi Wan Kenobe (would no doubt have) described these refined and shapely planes “An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.”

A couple of lockdown builds. I had grander, more detailed plans for things to do with these kits but needed something to occupy a couple of days of low hassle, low stress. These geriatric Novo kits fit the bill nicely.

Made out of the box with a little bit of tidying up cockpit innards, pilots from spares. As the kit decals were missing (Canberra) or beyond use (Sea Hawk) and to try and add a little colour variety to my collection I tried to come up with different from the norm schemes that I could achieve (or get somewhere close to) from spares (with some much appreciated help from @speedy where spares came up slightly short)

50115725166_92f55e2102_b.jpg

50115725161_6040480cb1_b.jpg

50115952982_7c60c94a96_b.jpg

50115153568_5dd30094c0_b.jpg

I know there are loads of flaws with these builds but they made & make me happy so they’ve achieved their purpose

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 43

15 minutes ago, Brigbeale said:

if you build them and you’re happy with them, you have succeeded with your goal

Thanks, I hopefully serve a useful purpose in that new members can see my posts and think “If that knacker can put pictures of his shoddy workmanship and wobbly paint online then so can I”

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, nickandrews7 said:

i like them, unusual topic choices:)

Thanks! Not ones that I’d have really thought to buy but I was asked to sell a job lot of kits by the widow of a modeller who got the (stash size/build rate)/longevity ratio a bit off. Once I’d sold the bulk of them these were among the stragglers she told me to just keep. (p.s. folks - just crack on and build things. I found loads of kit and parts receipts, magazines, clippings and notes going back 40 years in the boxes full of plans and things to do “one of these days when I get around to it”)

I was going to turn the Canberra into the mooted P.12 interceptor version and the Sea Hawk into the one of the swept wing derivative prototypes but I found myself in need of something straightforward, sedentary and meditative to do. Adding the interior to the Sea Hawk and mixing up the decals and schemes gave me a bit of room for creativity without asking too much of myself

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2

Love them. 👍 Simple, fun kit building.

Sometimes it is nice to just do an old kit out of the box build.

I can get so caught up in all the detail modern kits deliver I can loose the joy of just building a kit over a weekend, like I did when I was a kid.  So I have a few old airfix and matchbox kits in the stash that I pull out as a fun injections when I hit frustration points.

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are a lovely pair of models @LostCosmonauts, and you have done a grand job on them.

The Canberra especially rings a chord with me. Back in my yoof, many (too many!) years ago, my Dad and I were in a toy/model shop in either Tring or Leighton Buzzard and I saw what I now know as a Floor Standing Display Unit (or FSDU as we used to call them at work!) which had lots of models by some upstart company - it must have been upstart because it was not Airfix. Well, they had lots of stuff which was different to this 8-year-old, and I was like a donkey between two equidistant carrots: I did not know which way to turn! I saw a number of small boxed models I liked, and the Frog Canberra. I chose the Canberra as it was big and I was impressed. Dad asked if that was the one I really wanted, or I could get four of the smaller ones (Dad always did back my hobby!), but I chose the Canberra, especially as it had an off-centre canopy.

Three hours later it was built, in all its shiny silver plastic with the transfers stuck on. I was still to learn about paints, and it was fun!

Anyway, great job!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I chose the Canberra as it was big and I was impressed

Thanks! This is probably the same mould as you made back then. I think the Frog tooling (or at least the non Luftwaffe stuff) all got sold to the USSR when they went bust in the 70s.

I’ve been on a small nostalgia kick and pulling some of the older kits from the stash so you might also have eyed this Javelin kit I did in the May bank holiday blitz build on that shopping trip with your Dad. 

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 2

Congratulations for this pair of Wonderful build Friend!!!
I am back to modeling and have some fifteen kits ready to paint, ones since some years ago, others from recent times, have cleaned my simple Badger 350 airbrush and have got another modeler offer to buy an old Thomas compressor, have been cleaning and conditioning a nice space to set the bench, and after a long time watching all those models will follow your path trying to finish many of them ASAP and for first time since I got membership here will be soon posting my very first build.  
Thank you very much for the inspiration and the joy to watch your work.

Cheers, 

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

simple is most of the time good!

These two kits look great, and  wished I could keep it that simple. I would definitely build far more kits than I do!

Great modeling!

Keep having fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Those both look excellent to my eye. I don't know if they are actual schemes or not but they look as though they could be. I'd call that a result. ;)

Steve.

As far as I can tell the Sea Hawk scheme is real. I was casting around for a suitable look and found this picture which looked pleasingly like a puffin so I had to do it. 

There are a lot of profile paintings and a couple of computer renders online for the Sea Hawk in this scheme (can't find any photos) describing it as a special scheme for trials with 700 squadron. I took a liberty by changing the Royal Navy lettering to white to show up better on the EDSG. It features on the Blackbird models colourful Sea Hawks decal sheet https://www.scalemates.com/kits/blackbird-models-bmd72018-colourful-sea-hawks--1123873 but I cobbled it together from xtradecal sheets of standard roundels and numbers. 

9_36.jpg

The gloss black canberra has far better evidence available as it was the finish VX185 got when it was converted into the B1.(8) prototype (see https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/june-2017-english-electric-canberra-bi-8-part-1-50-photos/ first 3 images) - it looked too elegant not to do.

Thanks to everyone who's liked these or commented positively - very much appreciated

• Like 4

That's a great scheme on the Sea Hawk, nice to see something other than plain old EDSG/sky (aka 123/90). I think I have an all red Sea Hawk on a Royal Navy Display Teams decal sheet that will look the biz when I get round to building it.

• Like 1