1/32 Matchbox Rolls Royce

It's been years since I've built a car kit, but a forthcoming Matchbox themed club build, prompted me to pick up this 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom 1.

It's built straight from the box, apart from the chrome parts which I stripped and re-plated using Alclad.

The original had a 7.6 litre engine, which produced 120 BHP.  On 1920s running gear, this must have been quite a ride!

This particular vehicle was custom made for a diamond magnate called Otto Oppenheimer.  Known as "The Black Diamond", the car apparently featured a secret compartment for the safe transportation of diamonds.  I searched thoroughly through the kit, but unfortunately couldn't find the secret compartment, nor indeed any hidden gems ;).

P1110543.JPG

P1110540.JPG

P1110539.JPG

P1110538.JPG

Cheers

• Like 19

Nice work Cliff I particularly like the colour scheme and the wheels and tyres look pretty cool. Your work on the chrome parts is also excellent just about right for this era I reckon. Looking forward to seeing more of your builds in the future 🙂

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Looking forward to seeing more of your builds in the future 🙂

Thanks Andy, next up will be an Airfix Morris Cowley, which I'm building as part of the "Kit you Built as a Kid" Group Build.

Cheers

• Like 1

Not just the paint looking good, I think the chrome trim also adds a lot to the build. By the looks of it, that trim separating the red and black paint is very well done. It needs to be as that demarcation makes the model, as is demonstrated so well here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember building the Matchbox SS Jaguar 100 (which went together really nicely) and the Mercedes Benz SSK (which didn't).  There is something very evocative about the box art for old kits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I remember building the Matchbox SS Jaguar 100 (which went together really nicely) and the Mercedes Benz SSK (which didn't).  There is something very evocative about the box art for old kits.

Matchbox arrived just as I was 'growing out' of building kits, so I missed them the first time around.  I've got a few in my stash now though (including the Jag) ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johnlambert said:

They also did an MG TC, an Auto Union V16 racecar, a 1930's Packard & a Bugatti type 59.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

Looks fantastic, paint finish is perfect & the chrome work is really clean. The wheels look really good for 1/32 scale too. Are they out of the box too? 

Thanks Mr.M.  Yes the wheels are straight out of the box.  The fact that they're black helps to disguise the the spokes' depth (i.e. going back behind the face that you can see), but even allowing for this, they are pretty good.

Cheers.

• Like 1