"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig" - Marco Rossolini's Savoia S.21 Flying Boat

21 hours ago, Jur said:

I'm enjoying your build very  much, and look what the postman brought me from Japan this morning:

IMG-20200813-104607.jpg

The One True Scale version!

This one comes with a statue of Fio. It also has two different engines.

It will go into the stash for now, too many other things on my plate at the moment, but I will surely build it. Thanks for making me aware of this movie and the models! I'm also eyeing up the Laputa kits now...

This looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing your build with it too, perhaps in the not too distant future?

I've seen some of the Laputa kits as well. the 20" Robot Soldier especially :) 

Edited by Mikey-1980

Minor update....

The underside and pontoon have now been painted up, and I think the Light Sand colour is spot on! Needs a little tidying up, but generally, quite happy with the result. so far.

DSC_3359

The mount was also painted up in its base coat too.

DSC_3358

I'm still in 2 minds about the strips though. the extension would only need to be a few mm's each side to balance it out though?

Now the base colours are all done, its down to the fin detailing and a little panel line washes. Not too much, just a subtle amount of weathering.

• Like 5

Heck, Mickey, might as well go ahead and make the correction or you’ll always wonder if you should have.

Looking very smart like it is, however.

Dennis

I think you would want to correct the stripes or it will be bugging you forever!

When I build mine I will opt for the version with the new engine. Apart from the statue of Fio she is also there as a passenger. I will use the included display stand to show them flying. The kit looks quite a bit simpler than your 1/48 one. Perhaps I can slot it into the sequence a bit earlier :)

• Like 1

Looks Like I know what I'll be doing this weekend then? haha!! cheers @DMC

@Jur does the new engine for the S.21F have the "Ghibli" crest on the rocker cover?

8vumsq8j2ph11.jpg

Its a really nice Easter egg in the movie :)

• Like 2

Unlike in yours, the actual engine isn't included, only the outer covers. It comes on a small separate sprue with the other bits needed for the rebuilt version (and Fio).

It's a shame that the instructions only come in Japanese, there is a whole page discussing the various engines including a box with text and a picture of what looks like a Hawker Fury?

IMG-20200814-092205.jpg

52 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Well thats just not good!

I wonder if it is because it is the 1/72 scale kit? the additional engine detail would be for the 1/48?

That may well be. There appear to be quite a few different boxings in both scales, I find it confusing to figure out what is included where. I'm happy with the late version and Fio as a passenger, and I'm really happy with the flying stand, but I would have preferred a statue of Marco instead of Fio. To be fair I just got the cheapest one I could find! Oh well.

Actually, the plot thickens - there is a second engine in the box, which as far as I can make out is neither the original Isotta-Fraschini nor the later Fiat AS.2 'Folgore' engine:

IMG-20200814-151040.jpg

The one on the right, with a much bigger cowling and radiator. I don't know what the point of this is, except to allow us to modify the plane once more!

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread. Tell you what, I'm in a holding pattern with my other builds because I'm waiting on some stuff to arrive, so why don't I make a start on this one in the meantime?

12 minutes ago, Jur said:

Actually, the plot thickens - there is a second engine in the box, which as far as I can make out is neither the original Isotta-Fraschini nor the later Fiat AS.2 'Folgore' engine:

IMG-20200814-151040.jpg

The one on the right, with a much bigger cowling and radiator. I don't know what the point of this is, except to allow us to modify the plane once more!

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread. Tell you what, I'm in a holding pattern with my other builds because I'm waiting on some stuff to arrive, so why don't I make a start on this one in the meantime?

haha!

No problem at all hijacking, its all relevant so crack on....and I absolutely 100% support your choice to begin your build for the Savioa S.21F :) :) :)

Good progress, nice to see the machine taking shape.

10 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Looks Like I know what I'll be doing this weekend then?

That's probably the best thing to do. Taking the extra work and doing your best will always feel more rewarding in the end.

BTW, there is no Ghibli text on the 1/48 S.21F valve covers either.

• Like 1

That's a shame for the Ghibli crest missing off the rocker covers. That would have been a real nice touch by FineMolds. 

The more I look at the stripes, they more they need to be done. 

Morning all!

I took all your thoughts and advise into consideration and I completely agree with you, the wings needed fixing.....so, Saturday morning was spent sanding and masking up the wings.

Before

DSC_3354

After

DSC_3360

I only needed to bring in the red & green sections in by 1mm each, but it made all the difference.

Once dry I set about the task I had been dreading.....the rigging....I simply cannot do this with out messing it up....and suffice to say, I did a little, especially with the port pontoon.

But here we are after an hour of struggling and wishing I had 3 hands....a little touching up on the paint but you shouldn't see the damage caused. Future note...avoid any rigging.

DSC_3361

DSC_3362

Final assembly done and I started to try my hand and pin washing and enhancing the panel lines. Still have a lot to learn on this and slowly getting there with it. i little more cleaning up I think with some thinners.

DSC_3363

DSC_3364

DSC_3365

DSC_3366

The trolley cart is almost finished then there is Porco himself to paint too.

All cleaned up and ready to paint up

DSC_3367

Thats all so far, but almost there :)

If you haven't seen it already but @Jur is building the 1/72 S.21 F version of this fine aircraft of the Adriatic

Take a look see here -

Cheers all!

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 9

Hello, great work : attention to detail and coloring, the model is very intriguing and comes out of the usual  military aircraft, even if from manga the aircraft is very well designed, it could easily be a plane that really existed (maybe without the details here conspicuously cartoon).
Only flaw, But it is my very personal opinion; the red is too bright, you will surely have followed the assembly instructions but for me a darker red like a Ferrari red would have been much better.
However, I renew the compliments I really like it very much, if I find it around I will definitely buy it

• Thanks 1

Thanks @spartacus2000

Ironically, the red used is Tamiya's Italian Red paint. TS-8. In the movie it is described as an "Obnoxious red" Given the spirit of the aircraft, Italian Red sounded better to me :)

I actually thought that the red wing tips were now too dark due the multiple layers needed to get it looking right without a tide line.

It is looking great and fixing the flags was certainly worth the effort! Your rigging looks fine especially from normal viewing positions.

Thanks for the link to my build, if you head over there you'll find I've hit a bit of a snag.

• Like 1

On my way! :D

Ahh.....bleeding.....I found the yellow Tamiya tape works better and to reeeeeally press it down into the recesses prior to paint.

Hope you get to touch it up though?

Edited by Mikey-1980

Those stripes definitely look better. The rigging looks good too, I find it’s best to be very patient, having tried many rigging methods my current preferred method is using monofilament fishing line, glue one end, leave to set glue the other end, leave to set them trim. Although I think this is easier and I think I’m getting to a method I like. I think I may go back to my blind hole: through hole method. But I have one last think to try which is uv cured glue, which I have in order from eBay.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Work has started on the Porco figure, though it seems I may need to replace my Tamiya paint range as the lighter colours really dont like to settle down well?

Takes me back to the days of painting Warhammer 40K figures though.

no more pics until the ready for inspection :D 

• Like 1