"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig" - Marco Rossolini's Savoia S.21 Flying Boat

I've been putting this one off for a while now........partly because I dont want to mess this one up and partly because I absolutely love Studio Ghibli, with Porco Rosso being one of my favorite movies to come from the imagination of Hayao Miyazaki.

Porco Rosso tells the story of a WW1 fighter Ace Marco Pagot (or Rossolini in the English dubbed version) who is cursed after refusing to fly for the Italian Airforce due to the fascist regime that takes over during the 1920/30's. Proco seeks to make a living as a bounty hunter over the Adriatic Sea hunting Air Pirates until he comes up against the American pilot - Curtis, who appears to be based on the American Aviator Glen Curtis.

I believe it is still available to watch on Nextflix and I cannot recommend this movie enough......

So, on with the kit from Fine Moulds. This will be the earlier 2004 kit with the later release being the Savioa S.21F (the F being that it has a flying display mount)

This one stunningly well made kit, and designed to be made with out the need to paint with some very thoughtful injection moulding.

DSC_3303

DSC_3304

The polymer is super smooth and shiny so will need to be lightly abraded for the paint to adhere to. The engine is the same that you see in the movie with a nice easter egg included (the engine is called Ghibli whist translated is the Libyan-Arabic name for Hot Desert Wind)

DSC_3305

The tan coloured sprues are ment for the underside of the aircraft and the winpontoons as well as the interior structure

DSC_3307

You have 2 choices for Porco, one as the pilot

DSC_3308

or standing next to his Savioa...both are superbly detailed

DSC_3309

The instructions are all in Japanese but look to be easily followed.

DSC_3310

A little history on the flying boat, it would be nice to see if there are translated versions of these instructions, as I feel Fine Molds have put some serious thought into this kit.

DSC_3311

In preparation for this, and earlier this year Scale model Aircaft did feature a build of this very kit, so some great reference material

DSC_3313

DSC_3314

DSC_3315

DSC_3316

I also have a copy of the Art of Porco Rosso too for some great screen shot and reference material too.

DSC_3317

DSC_3318

A little more detail on the fictitious Savioa S-21 Flying Boat

DSC_3319

Hiyao Miyazaki is known for having a huge passion for aviation and flying, just one more aspect of Ghibli's movies that I love.

DSC_3320

And if it wasn't enough......Porco forms a part of an incomplete Ghibli tattoo on my right leg. This picture was taken a few years back just after it was completed.

DSC_1720

As with any new build 50% of the prep time is selecting the right paints to which I will be visiting eModels on Saturday to pick up some more rattle cans etc for this build.

This is going to be a labor of love for me, so I hope that you will enjoy and tag along with me.....

giphy.gif

• Like 28

Nice. If you’re doing rattle cans I really like the Montana black range that I get form my local art store. I finished my Bristol racer with one of the reds, not a million miles from your savoia.

48947449438_5278f1dbd0_c.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice. If you’re doing rattle cans I really like the Montana black range that I get form my local art store. I finished my Bristol racer with one of the reds, not a million miles from your savoia.

48947449438_5278f1dbd0_c.jpg

Cheers!

The official colour is supposed to be called "Obnoxious Red" which I guess is quite suitable? haha

I do have Tamiyas Italian Red rattle can, and used it on my GeeBee build earlier this year. Its a gloss coat, but once dulled down it looks pretty close too. Love your Bristol racer BTW too :)

59 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

This looks like a lot of fun, will follow with interest. Going to look it up on Netflix.

Go for it! The Wind Rises is another fav of mine too, especially if you have a love for the A6M Zero as it follows the life of Jiro Horikoshi and his designing of the aircraft. (little easter egg is that all of the aircraft engine noises are made by Hayao Miyazaki himself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I've been putting this one off for a while now.

I am happy you've put this one on the bench.  I have this kit as well.

I'm looking forward to your build.

• Like 1

Hello Mikey,

I'm big Ghibli fan myself, so this will be something to watch closely. I've been looking for this model but so far no luck. Luckily I got all the films on DVDs and also those "Art of" books.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Mikey,

I'm big Ghibli fan myself, so this will be something to watch closely. I've been looking for this model but so far no luck. Luckily I got all the films on DVDs and also those "Art of" books.

Cheers,

Antti

Found on Amazon if you're still interested?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savoia-Porco-Rosso-Airplane-first/dp/B0007U92XO

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jur said:

Wow very nice! I don't know the movie but I will surely check it out. Seems like a fun project!

If you have Netflix, search for Ghibli and it will come up with a bunch of other movies too.

Hi Mikey,

cool subject. Few months ago they aired all Animes by Studio Ghibli on TV and (as an airplane nut) Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises are my clear favourites too. Will be fun to watch your progress.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

All welcome to tag along...... :)

I do have the glider flyer from Naussica - Valley of the Wind stashed away as a part build which is from BanDai - Really nice kit and one I need to finish off..

5197W6TRWBL._AC_.jpg

I believe the S.21F is pretty much the same but has an inflight stand as an option.

the earlier kit and the one I am building here just has the S.21 on a sled style mount as per the scene when Porco returns to Italy to repair his aircraft.

There are 2 scales available too, 1/72 & 48 scale.

Lovely choice, will be good see this coming together. I have the 1/48 S.21F in my own stash. I might have to get the S.21 as well.

The S.21 would be the original version seen in the first section of the film, until the emergency landing, and the S.21F the modified version with the new engine and other modifications, as rebuilt by the crew led by Fio Piccolo. Marvelous scene in the film with the new engine in the test bed...

• Thanks 1

That clears up the differences, thank you @Bengalensis

Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to really start the build this weekend, other things got in the way. 

I am hoping to have it started soon though :)

• Like 1

In addition to this, and the build log show in the Scale Aircraft Modelling......I have found the actual build on YouTube if anyone is interested??

Absolutely stunning work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

if anyone is interested

Hi Mikes,

Interested, yes, I happened across the Crimson Pig while I was building my Macchi M.33.  Looking forward to your build.

resized_3c15a00d-e65f-479d-bf3e-6cf284d2

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2