1/48 Tamiya T-34/76

SoftScience

This kit needs no introduction. Suffice it to say, it is a simple but pretty accurate model of the 1941 production line from the no. 112 factory.

I built this model about 14 years ago, but lost it during one of my three cross-country moves. I recall having lots of fun with it. I was head over heals for 1/48 armor back then, and the bit of work I did tonight is reigniting that flame.

IMG-20200714-213700.jpg

And why? Because the relative simplicity means a quick build and more time painting and weathering. Also the relatively small scale let's me (at least in my mind) get away with more implicit detail than (i.e. more fudge factor).

And speaking of quick build, the suspension took me about one hour to complete.

IMG-20200714-221455.jpg

IMG-20200714-221506.jpg

Tracks next. I recall that during my 2006 attempt at this kit, I had some trouble fitting the last link. I wonder if I had glued the idler arms in place? I didn't do that this time.

• Like 4

Update from last night. I'm moving along quite quickly. Much of the upper hull and turret are complete. I still haven't joined the upper and lower parts, as I'm thinking of different approaches to finishing and weathering for this kit. 

I have removed the front fenders, and beat up the ends, and the areas where desantowcy would jump on and off the tank.  I have also drilled out holes for grab handles, which I'll be making from brass wire. I applied a textured coat of Mr. Surfacer onto the back of the turret to hide the seems and recreate the cast texture. 

IMG-20200715-230523.jpg

• Like 1

more work last night. I'm essentially finished with assembly. Just need to add the brass grab handles, but I'm waiting for a larger gauge brass wire to arrive. The stuff I have is more appropriate for 1/72. 

IMG-20200716-223728.jpg

IMG-20200716-223555.jpg

I also want to add some straps to the fender tie-downs and maybe lash on some unditching logs. The turret hatch hasn't been glued on yet, as I'm undecided about on whether I'll be adding figures or not. 

• Like 2

1/48 is a very neat size for AFV. It seems to be the sweet spot between the grandeur and detail heavy 1/35 and simplicity of 1/72.

I hadn’t realised the kit was that old, time flies. It’s looking good! Tanks with Christie suspension look so cool!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SimonT said:

I’m guessing the last link in the track didn’t give any trouble this time since you didn’t glue the return wheels?

things were still a little fussy, but not gluing the return roller arms certainly helped

• Thanks 1

Hi SoftScience. Great to see another one of these kits being built and looks like you are making good progress. I built this kit a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Kind regards,

Stix