Battery Powered Airbrush

dogsbody

I'd be too concerned with it running out of steam in mid-use. Also, once the batteries had aged and stopped taking on a full charge, I'm guessing that you'd have to buy a new one.

It's a decent idea, but it's a "no!" from me.

Chris. 

• Like 1

I used one for three years, the Tamiya airbrush ran on R/C car batteries and would last for a few hours at a crack. Biggest model I painted then was a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster. It was also one of the best airbrushes I’ve ever owned, it would be fine with whatever paint you put into it. Granted I'm pretty sure it was a .5 needle so no fine details but good for most schemes. 

I think it could be useful for artists doing T shirts at fairs or something like that, where getting an AC outlet might be a bit tricky. But for really intricate work I don't see it being comfortable.

One advantage is the lack of noise it would create. I am still looking for a silent (or as silent as possible) compressor and did look at several of these. What turned me off them was the dodgy build quality and the fact that you can't seem to get the compressor without the cheap and nasty looking airbrush.

There is an American brand that looks like a better-built option, but the name eludes me at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Camo Viking said:

I am still looking for a silent (or as silent as possible) compressor...

Look no further than Werther, Sil-Air compressors if you want practically silent air for your airbrush. 30db means the air leaving the airbrush is louder than the compressor itself..

• Like 2

On 15/07/2020 at 11:07, lasermonkey said:

can't help but think it's a solution looking for a problem

Thats what I thought at first ... but then realised we (modellers) are not the target market, or the biggest airbrush user group. For makeup artists, nail artists, graphic artists etc. etc. I can see this being quite useful. For most of us modellers we tend to be working in an environment where power is not an issue.

23 minutes ago, Camo Viking said:

you can't seem to get the compressor without the cheap and nasty looking airbrush.

i wouldnt discount the cheap and nasty airbrush - I've been using the one that came with my compressor exclusively for spraying Mr Surfacer, and its worked flawlessly.

34 minutes ago, ckw said:

i wouldnt discount the cheap and nasty airbrush - I've been using the one that came with my compressor exclusively for spraying Mr Surfacer, and its worked flawlessly.

Not meaning to hijack the thread...

You are correct in that (as I still have a use for my first (cheap) airbrush), and I apologise if I sounded arrogant.

To bring the discussion back on topic, has anyone tried one of these battery powered devices, so others can get an idea of what they're like?

And the one I could not remember previously - Viper Pro-X 25 - 

Cheers,

V

13 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Look no further than Werther, Sil-Air compressors if you want practically silent air for your airbrush. 30db means the air leaving the airbrush is louder than the compressor itself..

Absolutely. I've had 2 (gave one to a friend), and they've been awesome. Of course I go and spoil the silence with my spray booth fan, but the only way you can realistically tell its on is when the relief valve on the receiver shuts off the compressor.  So quiet. ^_^

I could foresee the battery pack getting in the way, as I tend to spray on the flat. For an artist with an easel that's much less of a problem, but getting into nooks and crannies of a model may be more challenging. I also don't go anywhere, so what do I need a battery for? I'd be interested to see if there's any pulse and how that affects the paint flow though, just out of curiosity. :hmmm:

I was thinking about a good ( fairly good? ) first airbrush. It would be somewhat cheaper as it wouldn't require a compressor. It would definitely be better than that cheap Humbrol P.O.S. I bought almost 40 years ago, that used canned air. 

Chris