1/48 Eduard MiG-21R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Slowly slowly, the lower surfaces were adorned with their various remaining fins and vents, then masked off

DSCF9961.jpg

A couple of coats of Tamiya XF-12 J. N. Grey and it's done.

DSCF9974.jpg

In real life it's closer than it looks in the photo, just not quite light enough.

Anyhoo, apart from a couple of leaks under the sausages, I'm quite pleased

DSCF9963.jpg

DSCF9964.jpg

Masking off for the engines, then the myriad of green patches, then I can seal it all in and get some stickers on.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The tailpipe was masked and given a coat of Mr Paint MRP-F088 Steel Metallic, then a touch of Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

However, although there was no overspray

DSCF0038.jpg

:angry:

A light scraping with a sharp blade, and dotting in with neat XF-12 later

DSCF0039.jpg

I'm sure it will be fine under a light Flory wash

Chewers

Steve

It’ll just look like subtle weathering.

I’ve just unmasked the underside of a Mirage F1 and the demarcation lines are fine but there are a couple of small patches of green on the undersides of the wings which is strange because the wings were masked before I started painting the green!.

I bought a pot of Tamiya 84 recently and thought it just looked dark green in the pot but was pleasantly surprised when I used it.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

The green patches on the tail end were masked and sprayed with the AK-2302 Randome Green.

This proved trickier than I was expecting, as the paint was very thin and took ages to dry.

When I took the masking off I found some had crept under it, so some remedial rubbing and scraping had to be done.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, Biggles87 said:

It’ll just look like subtle weathering.

Thanks John, more fingers crossed

DSCF0075.jpg

Wingtips were brushed on

DSCF0076.jpg

At last I might now get some stickers on and see where that leaves me.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

My run of niggles seems to be cross threading, as when I came to the previously pristine Eduard decals I discovered one had great lumps out of it

DSCF0080.jpg

That'll be going on the lower wing surface then

Fortunately there are few markings, and no stencils as the Cubans painted over pretty much everything

DSCF0081.jpg

However, there may be one slight fly in my ointment...

DSCF0082.jpg

I'm going to Micro Sol it from the top and hope that it conforms as it works its way down :pray:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi All

Well, the decals shrugged off a two hours soaking in a constant stream of Micro Sol, and only just flexed with the next days constant application of DACO Strong

DSCF0096.jpg

Most off-putting, they still have the sheen resilience of a Teflon pancake.

Not to worry, I've been collecting the many parts for her legs

DSCF0097.jpg

Nearly thirty parts there, AK-2304 Cockpit Grey for the struts'n'stuff, AK-2302 Radome Green for the wheel hubs, XF-85 Rubber Black for the tyres, a dirty wash of Pledge, and a glass of Shiraz for my sanity.

The body and the tub full of underwing things got a light Flory grime wash

DSCF0098.jpg

And the long nose probe got care from XF-58 Olive Green and some of the blue mix I'd saved :pipe:

I'm going to clag them all together and blast them with W&N Matt Varnish.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi All

I've waited until the last minute for these pointy out bits, and the clock is ticking down to me snapping them off again

DSCF0109.jpg

I remembered the teeny red dot on the end of the cone too :thumbsup:

Everything brought together for a final coat of W&N Matt, then into the Isolation Box to solidify

DSCF0110.jpg

It should all go together easy enough from this stage, just the seat to get together now.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

All dry, and nicely matt too

DSCF0137.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

The Type D recce pod is a snug fit along the various contours of the belly, and her back legs have solid locating holes

DSCF0139.jpg

Main doors have actuating rams that need to be against the forward inner part of the well, but I had had put the yellow pipe too close on the Port side from right the way back on page 3 of the instructions :banghead:

DSCF0140.jpg

The rest of the undercarriage are small kits in themselves, about ten parts per leg

DSCF0142.jpg

DSCF0143.jpg

A couple of hours spent balancing, glueing, knocking off, repeating, and the missiles and fuel tanks were lightly attached

DSCF0144.jpg

I don't want to get too close in case I breath on them and they launch again

Anyhoo, one last spasm should see the seat for the driver and something for them to hang on to

DSCF0145.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

With this being the Weekend Edition, your seat is limited to sixteen parts and some ?cloth decal? harness

DSCF0160.jpg

I would previously have considered this number excessive (I've built 1/72 Spitfires with a lower part count), but in this instance I can see where the full etch extravaganza would enhance it further

DSCF0161.jpg

The Mr Colour callout is for Neutral Grey (the darker shade) and Light Grey (the er, lighter shade), but having neither of these, I plumped for the nearest Vallejo Air I had

DSCF0167.jpg

A dark wash and a Matt coat and it's nearly there.

With these harness thingies the instructions say to "use white glue", does that mean I cut them out and stick them on? Or soak them off, let them dry (on what?) and then stick them on?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi All

I cut a small piece of the decal surround and dipped it in water to see what they were all about.

Turns out they're not cloth, but a flexible, rubber type plastic

DSCF0168.jpg

They went on easily, stayed in place, and gave no indication of splitting or cracking.

A coat of matt varnish to seal them on in lieu of the white glue, and I like them very much indeed.

DSCF0170.jpg

The control column was retrieved from long term storage, and the seat just dropped straight in like it was designed that way

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

And just like that she's done

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

I'll get some shots for RFI, thanks for the company and to all who joined along.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3