Yet another Defiant

Armed with Phil Listemann’s and Mark Ansell’s books on the type and its operational history, I’d like to make a small memorial to one of the unlucky sent out in it during daylight. Initially I wanted to make one of the unfortunates of 141 squadron who were bounced and decimated on their first sortie, but lack of photos and decals makes me go for one of the 264 squadron instead.

I will build the new Airfix with guns from Quickboost and a vacu-formed canopy from New Zealand.

QnK3Jk3.jpg

The type may be unknown generally but it has certainly fascinated many young ones with its turret and multiple guns sticking out. I was no exception and built the old Airfix in its nocturnal livery. I remember that after having found out it also flew daytime I wished I could have built another. That was too many years ago :( I suspect half the reason so many grown men are doing is that is makes us feel young again for a while. Enough digressing, this was supposed to give a little homage to people who didn’t get to become old. 

The Defiant was maybe not such a horrible idea when considering the background of of the thought process behind it: the success of the Bristol F.2 Fighter. Ironically, that one was planned not as a fighter but as a spotting and recon plane but to the delight of its pilot turned out to perform well in a dogfight. The Brisfit had a forward-firing however, which was its main weapon and attempts were even made to add more of them. Makes me wonder why they omitted that on the Defiant - maybe they found it sluggish enough without it? Be that as it may, it’s still fascinating.

Edited by Torbjorn
wording
  • Like 13

Cockpit finished. I added some structure on the bulkhead behind the pilot and the hand break. 

The rest of the harness? The pilot put it out of view. :)

1C3u8Fq.jpg

The instrument panel is a flat piece with a decal. Here it is compared to Arma Hobby’s take on the same technology (structured plastic with decals, left):

MyzLTkV.jpg

I had bought a Yahu panel. Interestingly it appears to be 1/48 even though the package says 1/72:

L8MjgPL.jpg

In fact, I bought TWO of these by mistake, from two different suppliers in two different countries, and BOTH are 1/48 in bags marked 1/72 :(

—-

Also started on the wings. The trailing edges are incredibly thick. Especially the ailerons, which would be about 4” if scaled up. I spent a lot of time carving from the inside in order to preserve surface detail. That sort of solved the edges but led to another problem:

i1e4DN8.jpg

I will fix this with wedges between the wing halves and inevitable filling and sanding. 

Maybe I’m spoiled by Arma’s Hurricane, but the surface detail is not fantastic. The usual deep ditches as panel lines, and some are missing, with large plain areas. To make these more interesting I added some rivets, which are obvious when looking at the full scale planes - at least from a close distance. Rivet counters before: although based on drawings the pattern is at best representative. I strongly dislike overdone rivetting (and this is only the second time I’ve done it, the other being a Kate with even larger plain areas) and went light with the roller, probably this won’t show up after painting unless blown up.

I also added wing tip light from clear sprue. To be shaped obviously.

EaNzaRp.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 9

Ah! Thinning down the trailing edges changed how the wing meets the fuselage! I thinned the edges on my Hurricane, but wondered about Airfix's parts fitting not that greatly at the roots. Turns out it was of my own making. Now I see it. Geeze! Getting old and ( mentally ) slow bites dog bums!

50117575492_f257811160_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ah! Thinning down the trailing edges changed how the wing meets the fuselage! I thinned the edges on my Hurricane, but wondered about Airfix's parts fitting not that greatly at the roots. Turns out it was of my own making. Now I see it. Geeze! Getting old and ( mentally ) slow bites dog bums!

50117575492_f257811160_b.jpg

Chris

Glad it helped someone :) Have to think twice about thinning edges next time.

Fuselage joined. I added some minor things for interest behind the pilot. If there is any plane one should get a nice instrument panel it’s this, since it sits high and proud and perfectly visible. Makes me especially miffed about Yahu’s packing error. I’m not satisfied with the kit version and will try a swap. This Spitfire PE set contains two panels, one for a MkI and a second for a MkII. I will borrow one, and reshape it to look like a Defiant’s panel. Even if not perfect, it’ll be better than the kit version. It should be relatively easy to get it out.

p8Q49As.jpg

Panel lines on the front do not match:

LIA6EBN.jpg

The starboard ones appear going off track close to the centre - these I filled and retraced. On a similar note the aft antenna is located on the centreline, but it shouldn’t be, if the drawings I’ve seen are correct! The grey area around the centreline isn’t sanded by the way, it’s only glue residue.

Also started populating the turret with some wires, levers and control stick. Hopefully it’ll be visible through the vac form canopy - if not I might try to leave the doors open. Ansell’s book contains several nice images for reference, and the links posted in the GB Reference thread were helpful.

agPNniT.jpg

Wing tip lights are finished, using an electric rotary tool for rough shaping, followed by needle files and sanding paper. Finished with polishing with the rotary tool. I don’t have enough grades of sanding paper to get it perfectly shiny (it’s on the shopping list) but it’s good enough. for me. Too bad I was in such a rush I forgot to drill and colour the bulbs before using a vast amount of CA to make them really stick 😫

Axbgy8H.jpg

• Like 9

On my Hurricane, I did it about the same as you've done. I do have a couple of Squadron sanding sticks and a set of files.

50120237793_1ccdb82a85_o.jpg

I also have this block for doing fingernails. As my youngest daughter is a certified beautician and works at the local boutique of a national chain of drugstores, she got me this using her employee discount.

50121048667_c164de91aa_o.jpg

After the sanding/buffing was done, I give the lights a good coat of acrylic floor polish ( Pledge ).

49831221041_fbefb2d7b7_b.jpg

I'm happy with the results. It was my first time attempting something like this.

Chris

• Like 13

That looks like it should, I’d be perfectly satisfied eith that result.

Any idea about the grit of those sanding sticks?

I used 400, 600, 1200 (glued to used popsicle sticks) and that is too rough obviously. I have some beuty shop products, but that sanding block looks neat, maybe time to ask the lady and go shopping.

Wish I had some Pledge, but that stuff is not sold here and I have not been able to identify a replacement.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

That looks like it should, I’d be perfectly satisfied eith that result.

Any idea about the grit of those sanding sticks?

I used 400, 600, 1200 (glued to used popsicle sticks) and that is too rough obviously. I have some beuty shop products, but that sanding block looks neat, maybe time to ask the lady and go shopping.

Wish I had some Pledge, but that stuff is not sold here and I have not been able to identify a replacement.

I have no idea of what grit they are. The white one is two-sided, with grey on the other side. It is definitely a buffer, as it's so fine.

Chris

No worries. Will try to find some finer grade and test.

I have been fiddling with these vac-form canopies. The turret is making a bit of a problem, as it is slightly smaller than the kit version in radius - meaning that the openings for the guns will sit a bit too far to the sides. Hopefully it won’t be too noticeable. It is also 1.0 mm lower, this I will solve by adding a skirt from plastic sheet which will be attached around the outside and stick out 1 mm below. The real tower has this skirt as well. The skirt will butt against the circumferential masking tape shown on the image below. It must be painted on the inside as it will be seen.

ucTgIC2.jpg

The turret itself is finished. The fit is very tight so I’m still thinking whether to install before or after painting. I’ve filled the wing gaps and paintig revealed some places in need of more.

BtSdege.jpg

There’s something loose in the fuselage, but it refuses to come out. Maybe the control stick, which has been gone for a while.

MN01JR4.jpg

Also have been drilling holes: a new for the aft antenna, which should be further forward (slightly) and more importantly off-centre. A lead-in hole for the antenna was also drilled - this is easy to locate: in the little circle just forward of the gunner’s hatch. The moulded top light behind the turret I cut away and drilled a hole for a replacement made from clear sprue.

Now, will duck egg green be appropriate or should I wait for the postman delivering a bottle of Sky?

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

The Defiant had a rather specific landing arrangement, but I find Airfix doors rather thick and decided to make new from left-over beer can (still recycling, yes?). I used the wheels-up door piece as template and scribed on the aluminium with an awl:

0LdNXTI.jpg

The wheels-up doors do not fit too good - I found out trying to use them as paint mask - but more then good enough for this purpose. The wheels-down plastic is split in two (one inner one outer), but should really be split in three (one inner, two outer, since the lower piece is connected to the undercarriage, not to the upper door. The thickness of the plastic makes these two pieces connect but with alu-sheet I will replicate the original with split doors. Therefore you only see one piece installed here. Bad quality, but the actuating links can be seen on the front side. Note that the doors are not aligned with the bay: they connect aft but the front side of the door is some distance away from the bay.

SCZgSxy.jpg

An array of doors can be seen on the left being held by a clothespin (including a pair of Hurricane doors). That lot will go on after painting the undersurface and I’ve since put one layer already. I took a gamble and added the protruding bits! The tip of the pitot tube (i.e the pitot tube itself) was deliberatly cut off, to be replaced with brass.

Here’s a free picture of the gear:

spacer.png

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

First colour is on - used Vallejo 71008, ’Duck egg green’. This one seems more thinned than what their Model air range normally is, and required three layers for decent coverage.

poYzly7.jpg

Airfix instructions wants me to paint the UC legs Night, I suspect this should only be for the night fighter and have painted them aluminium for now.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Liking that underside colour a lot. Smooth too, good work 

Have to admit I was initially sceptical. It looked very green in the bottle but now it looks like a good representation of eau de nil.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Airfix instructions wants me to paint the UC legs Night, I suspect this should only be for the night fighter and have painted them aluminium for now.

Im doing mine the same, I was pretty sure the color referenced the night fighter version. Im assuming the rims would be either aluminum or sky ? Though as always happy to be corrected. 

Nice work with the paint.

A question, the panel that is behind the turret, are you having it raised or lowered? I ask as I dry fitted the panel in the lowered position last night and found the it sat slightly below the fuselage. Is this correct? I do not know myself and so left it off to ask the question before fitting. I also did dry fit the raised one which sits upon the shelf at the end of the gunners area, but so did the lowered one, which again is why I am asking this question.

Ah. I used aluminium in the bays, UC legs and wheel rims. Sky on both sides on the doors. This is not based on knowledge, just based on what was done on Spitfires/Hurricanes and educated guesses other modellers have posted and would be happy to be corrected. On images I can’t differ between sky and aluminium (or interior green for that matter). Especially the insides of the doors I’m unsure about.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jabba said:

I ask as I dry fitted the panel in the lowered position last night and found the it sat slightly below the fuselage. Is this correct? 

Yes, slightly below.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.240655754.8070511

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.249591055.8070511

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.173432106.8070511

Chris

• Like 1