ASV mkII aerial dimensions for a Hudson

AltcarBoB

I am building a 1/72 Hudson and I want to make the ASV Yagi (TV) aerials that were carried under the wings. I had hoped to buy some photo etch ones but can't find any, I know Paragon used to make them but can't find any in stock.

I need the length of the aerials so I can work out the rest of the dimensions

6 minutes ago, EwenS said:

You might find the info you need in the official manual in the National Australian Archives.

https://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1351313&S=1

I have come across this link on Wikipedia and tried to open the file several times but it either won't load or if it loads it won't go past page 1 of 89. ☹️

Thanks for the information though 👍

I’ve just looked at it and I think there may only be 89 pages in the document. That takes you through chapters 1-8 and all the way to Appendix A. There is some dimensional info in Chapter 6 by aircraft type.

It's not opening for me at all now I have tried typing the link into the address bar and that's not loading either. Wonder if it's IP address is limited to Oz.

I’m in Scotland. It did flash a warning tonight about it being an unsafe address and did I want to continue. But I was able to get through that to access it. In on an i-pad using Safari. May be something to do with your settings then.

Works OK here in NZ with a windows desktop...after pushing through the warnings!!! Found much needed info for early radar sets. Be great if you could just download the complete file, but got what I wanted!

Muchas gracias to Ewen for the link.

Cheers,

Pete M.

7 hours ago, Pete M. said:

Works OK here in NZ with a windows desktop...after pushing through the warnings!!! Found much needed info for early radar sets. Be great if you could just download the complete file, but got what I wanted!

Hallo!

On the "box" right margin where Title and such are the twitter etc symbols are functional.

The lowest rightmost "paper sheet" with arrow pointing right produces pdf version of the document. I could not save the pdf, but could print it out as pdf.

AltcarBoB. Have You tried the blue NEXT button? On the right margin also.

HTH,

Kari

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kari Lumppio said:

I could not save the pdf, but could print it out as pdf.

I clicked on the right arrow symbol & it downloaded it direct to my hard drive, 90 pages of PDF.

Steve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

I am building a 1/72 Hudson and I want to make the ASV Yagi (TV) aerials that were carried under the wings. I had hoped to buy some photo etch ones but can't find any, I know Paragon used to make them but can't find any in stock.

I need the length of the aerials so I can work out the rest of the dimensions

The radar frequency is reportedly 176 MHz (see ASV Mk. II), hence wavelength is 1.7 metres. Antenna length should be an integer fraction of this, then actual size can depend on layout, etc. Anyway, you should be safe taking  quarter-wavelength (42,7 centimetres) as the minimum step, then work it out from this using phographs.

HTH

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Hallo!

On the "box" right margin where Title and such are the twitter etc symbols are functional.

The lowest rightmost "paper sheet" with arrow pointing right produces pdf version of the document. I could not save the pdf, but could print it out as pdf.

AltcarBoB. Have You tried the blue NEXT button? On the right margin also.

HTH,

Kari

I can't get it to open. I did manage to get it to open once but I couldn't get past page 1.

I am going to have another go on the laptop I will turn off the security see if that does anything.

1 hour ago, ClaudioN said:

The radar frequency is reportedly 176 MHz (see ASV Mk. II), hence wavelength is 1.7 metres. Antenna length should be an integer fraction of this, then actual size can depend on layout, etc. Anyway, you should be safe taking  quarter-wavelength (42,7 centimetres) as the minimum step, then work it out from this using phographs.

HTH

Thanks I will try that with some spare bits of scrap plastic to see if a scale 42.7 cm looks right.