Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 934 Jagermeister

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Great stuff Andy, that floorpan looks excellent, very realistic! In fact with some rust holes it would look just like the inside of our Mini....!! :)

K 

Thanks Keith, it took a while mate but I'm very happy with the end result. Now I just need to make the underside look worn that's tomorrow's task 🙃 All this effort from someone who said extra detailing wasn't his thing 🙄 How times change mate 🙂

• Like 2

Hi there, so today I started working on the underside of the floor pan. This involved using burnt umber oil paint a whole new technique for me but a very enjoyable one. I still have the inner wheel arches and other parts to finish off but I'm way off finished as next will be highlights and detail painting. A lengthy process but one im certain will be worth the effort when completed. Here's a few pics of where I'm at this evening 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like I say a way to go yet but I'll get there and there's the bonus of trying out new methods which is something I'm quite keen to do. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, silver911 said:

An extra level of reality that's well worth the time and effort...nicely done Andy.

Ron

Thanks Ron, it's all about enjoyment and at the moment I'm loving every minute. Big changes for me with this build ie scale, techniques, detailing etc but actually using a paint brush instead of an airbrush has been a pleasure and feels much more like real modelling if that makes any sense?

On 7/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Andy J said:

So today's update and first of all I decided to re visit the floor pan. There were areas where more wear was required ie the pedals, transmission tunnel, sills etc. I've now highlighted these areas and added a little more realism imo and now I consider this part finished 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Man that looks GREAT Andy!!! Could you describe the highlighting/ wear process a little bit for me please? I've got a car that I'm building right now that this would look PERFECT in. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Man that looks GREAT Andy!!! Could you describe the highlighting/ wear process a little bit for me please? I've got a car that I'm building right now that this would look PERFECT in. 

I will do my best but this type of work is new to me it's my first attempt and greatly influenced by the " magician " Mr Ron Clark a modeller known for adding extra detail and realism to his superb builds. So here's the 3 main colours I used 

spacer.png

So having primed the floor pan with Mr surfacer 1500 grey,I then applied a base coat of xf63 German Grey. Once dry I dry brushed xf24 Dark Grey over more or less the entire surface how much you apply is up to you but I think less is more in this case. Also the brush must be dry no wet paint or you will spoil the effect. Then comes xf66 Light Grey as a highlight again very dry brushed on the areas that you deem necessary, all of this work is down to your choice so apply Light coats and see where it takes you. Finally I used vallejo air aluminium again dry brushed on specific areas to show varying amounts of wear in all the places I felt it was required. As I've already said I'm no expert but give it a go and create your own effects it's great fun but very addictive 🙂 Oh and in other news my friend im trying to find reasonable postage costs for the GT40 kit not easy but hopefully I can sort something out soon 😉👍

• Like 5

Just thinking the staining and muck should be progressing towards the rear end on the underside rather than a uniform gradient (just my opinion) looks good though.

22 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

Just thinking the staining and muck should be progressing towards the rear end on the underside rather than a uniform gradient (just my opinion) looks good though.

And I welcome your opinion mate and definitely something I will look at as work continues on this part. I'm still not finished with the underside yet and as I say these techniques are new to me, so I'm not expecting miracles. Here's a few pics of the progress so far though like i say I'm far from finished 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots to do but I'll get there back soon 🙂

TBH Andy I think if that's meant to represent paint worn down to bare metal it's a bit overdone for a race car - and would even be a bit much for a rally car. My own competition cars were never prepared to anywhere near the standard of a Porsche works car, but although the undersides got pretty manky I never recall areas of bare metal showing through. Stone chips would take off underseal and paint and if left would soon start to rust - especially on 1970's/80's Ford rally cars....!! 

Just my opinion and feel free to totally ignore me (and apols if I've got the wrong end of the stick and those aren't supposed to be areas of bare metal!)

Keith

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

TBH Andy I think if that's meant to represent paint worn down to bare metal it's a bit overdone for a race car - and would even be a bit much for a rally car. My own competition cars were never prepared to anywhere near the standard of a Porsche works car, but although the undersides got pretty manky I never recall areas of bare metal showing through. Stone chips would take off underseal and paint and if left would soon start to rust - especially on 1970's/80's Ford rally cars....!! 

Just my opinion and feel free to totally ignore me (and apols if I've got the wrong end of the stick and those aren't supposed to be areas of bare metal!)

Keith

Fair point Keith and you would certainly know more about this type of thing than me. But tbf I'm just trying out different techniques i can tone these down a little if needs be but until I'm finished I can't get the big picture. That's if I ever finish this part im having fun 🙂👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy J said:

the standard of a Porsche works car

I agree with keefr22, any photos I've seen of the real things show them in pristine condition; when I get to mine, that's how it will be done.

1 hour ago, MR2Don said:

I agree with keefr22, any photos I've seen of the real things show them in pristine condition; when I get to mine, that's how it will be done.

Ok so I never said that my floor pan was based on the real car, what I said was that I'm practicing new techniques on this build and will continue to do so. How you decide to build and finish your kit is your choice and I'm sure it will look great when done 🙂

• Like 2

It’s all a learning curve mate, and the only person you need to please is you, keep at it I think you’re heading in the right direction.

5 hours ago, kpnuts said:

It’s all a learning curve mate, and the only person you need to please is you, keep at it I think you’re heading in the right direction.

Thanks, and I certainly will 🙂

• Like 1

So the latest update and I've finished, for now, with the floor pan. I'm happy with the overall look of the underside although I understand it may be a little different from the norm but I chose this way and I'm comfortable with it. I've added a few parts to the front suspension and I'm busy atm with the discs, calipers etc there's certainly plenty for me to do so I best crack on 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 5

Linkage looks beautifully well done. You've made that significant transition from small to big scale advanced building. This project has so far been an excellent training ground for bigger advanced work. You surely have the aptitude for it. Soon I'll have you with the courage for hacking/chopping/butchering rare expensive kits.  :devil: And Ron will have you breathing life into their characters. :whip:

Start searching ebay in the '1/8' section....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codger said:

Linkage looks beautifully well done. You've made that significant transition from small to big scale advanced building. This project has so far been an excellent training ground for bigger advanced work. You surely have the aptitude for it. Soon I'll have you with the courage for hacking/chopping/butchering rare expensive kits.  :devil: And Ron will have you breathing life into their characters. :whip:

Start searching ebay in the '1/8' 

1/8 give me a break 1/12 is more than enough for now. In fairness the jump to 1/12 could have been a lot smoother and quicker but I chose to approach this build in a different way and try out techniques im not used to. I've gone from finishing a build every 2 weeks to not knowing when I'll finish this one. But strangely enough I don't really care how long it takes which is a huge thought change for me 🙂. Larger scale builds well i hadn't planned on 1/12 a month ago so who knows however i need to up my "A" game first before I go anywhere near 1/8 so not in my immediate plans i have a few more 1/12 kits to cross off the list and at my current build rate that's me done for about the next 10 years 😀 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I may offer this Andy...you asked me for some insight into certain techniques I use in my builds...now...considering the distance between us in miles...the best I could do for you was the written word...plus some pictures and links to my work.

Undeterred...you took my words...and begun to translate them into a style of your own...this takes patience and effort...and a lot of commitment...and...for me personally...you have achieved remarkable results from the start.

Whilst what you have achieved may not appeal to some 'purists'...in my book you are to be congratulated for wanting to achieve something unique to you.

Respect

Ron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

If I may offer this Andy...you asked me for some insight into certain techniques I use in my builds...now...considering the distance between us in miles...the best I could do for you was the written word...plus some pictures and links to my work.

Undeterred...you took my words...and begun to translate them into a style of your own...this takes patience and effort...and a lot of commitment...and...for me personally...you have achieved remarkable results from the start.

Whilst what you have achieved may not appeal to some 'purists'...in my book you are to be congratulated for wanting to achieve something unique to you.

Respect

Ron

Thanks Ron I have thoroughly enjoyed working with you on these new techniques, there's a way to go yet but already I realise just how much I don't know about different types of paint and there uses. My son ,who has no interest at all in model building but does comment on my work occasionally, said to me earlier "I think you should take your time with this one and give every little part as much attention as you can " followed by " That looks like real metal not plastic ". Significant because as I say he's not a modeller so his comments aren't biased one way or another just based on the visual effects he can see. That's good enough for me and only spurs me on more than ever if that's possible, I'm pretty much obsessed as it is 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Well...your son's comments say it all in my book.

Wholeheartedly agree with his comment on taking your time...as much because this is new to you...along with enjoying the moment.

Every part i pick up now Ron my brain goes into overdrive so I have no option but to take my time 🙂

• Like 1

So today's update was all about the front brakes, suspension etc I've managed to complete this task although I may revisit this section at a later date. The temperatures today were very high with my thermometer reading off the scale in the garage at 86° not the most comfortable place to be but an old electric fan provided enough relief to make it possible. Here's today's progress pic's 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for now but it's nice to start adding a few parts to the build. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂

• Like 9