Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 934 Jagermeister

9 minutes ago, Codger said:

Surgical. You've got the dry-brushing down pat. Ron will be smiling. :frantic:

My one eye thinks it sees a seam or two - mind those to be at this level.........:whip:

Thanks Mr C the seams you mention are the reason for a revisit due to the fact I'm not entirely satisfied with the colour of said parts. However a good piece of advice and duly noted 👍

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Mr C the seams you mention are the reason for a revisit due to the fact I'm not entirely satisfied with the colour of said parts

That's what happens when you take high res photos, suddenly things that your eye was willing to ignore shout out very loudly "COOEE, HERE I AM!!". I'm almost frightened to photo any of my builds!😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

That's what happens when you take high res photos, suddenly things that your eye was willing to ignore shout out very loudly "COOEE, HERE I AM!!". I'm almost frightened to photo any of my builds!😉

Very true Don but it works both ways as photos can also make good quality work look brilliant. I choose to share my work on the forum with others as it's a good way to learn and improve your skills. The comment by "codger" is taken on board with respect because of his superb portfolio of finished builds ,he knows what he's talking about therefore I listen 🙂

8 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Looking really good to me mate, well done.

Thanks like I said earlier I'm starting to add parts now and feel progress is being made, still a long way to go though 🙂

So the latest update and the brakes and suspension are finished other than maybe a couple of minor tweaks here and there. I'm happy with the progress so far and very much looking forward to starting work on the engine next another part of the build that I'm not to experienced with as a lot of the 1/24 cars I've finished don't provide any engine with the kit. Anyway here's the latest pics of where I stand today 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As always thanks for looking and I'll be back soon 🙂

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Some tidy progress Andy, she's coming along nicely! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith, steady progress but I'm happy with the results and learning a lot as well 🙂

At this juncture I might assemble the wheels and tires without glue or finish, and temporarily install on chassis. Then just place the main body elements with tape to check ride height. You can easily trim a coil or so if need be to get down to race car ride height. Conversely, shim them up if that's (seldom) needed. Consult your references.

This is an immediate and most 'realistic' visible change you can make to a 1/12 kit.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Codger said:

At this juncture I might assemble the wheels and tires without glue or finish, and temporarily install on chassis. Then just place the main body elements with tape to check ride height. You can easily trim a coil or so if need be to get down to race car ride height. Conversely, shim them up if that's (seldom) needed. Consult your references.

This is an immediate and most 'realistic' visible change you can make to a 1/12 kit.

Very interesting idea Mr C makes sense to me i think I will give it a go 👍

• Like 1

So following on from the comment made by Mr C I've spent a good few hours fiddling around with the ride height of the Porsche to the point where I have matched my reference pic's as closely as I can. By using the shock absorbers internal screw and tightening or loosening the nuts on the opposite end I've managed to tweak the ride height to where I want it to be. I know this process is subjective and I'm certainly no engineer but this step imo was very necessary as the original kit settings were a little strange looking. Also I now have a perfect picture of how the car will sit when finished and I like what I see 🙂 Here are the latest pics following the adjustments 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's the state of play for now I've thoroughly enjoyed my ride height fiddling even if it shows that none of the work on the underside of the floor pan will be visible when the build is complete at least i know it's there 😉 Back soon thanks for looking and stay safe 🙂

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Like a real engineer

Ha ha never in a million years my friend this work would never have crossed my mind without the comment from codger his idea entirely i merely did the fiddling however im really glad i gave it a go and quite enjoyed the process. Thanks for the comment my friend 🙂 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Very useful hint about the ride height setting, logged away for when I eventually get to mine.

My thanks to you and Codger

Your welcome Don 🙂

Great idea (obviously no point on mine as it will never have  wheels) I'm seriously thinking i will get the 935 and give it your treatment. All looking good mate.

18 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Great idea (obviously no point on mine as it will never have  wheels) I'm seriously thinking i will get the 935 and give it your treatment. All looking good mate.

Go for it mate the 935 is an awesome car I'm certain you would do a great job 👍 

Ok so whilst I await a paint delivery for the engine parts I thought I would tackle the driver's seat a sort of mini project if you like. I wanted to try and achieve a textured finish to the seat and I'm happy with the result. Not much of an update in all fairness but it's part of the build so here's a couple of pics 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like I say only a small piece of the jigsaw but progress nonetheless. Back soon 🙂

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That looks good mate - what did you use, Zero textured paint? 

Keith

Yes Keith needs a really good stir and don't be shy when spraying it but it does provide a good textured finish i like it. The seat above needs to be revisited it needs more wear in certain areas it's a little bit to clinical for a racing seat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I think it looks just right for 1/12, I've used it on a couple of 1/24 seats and think it looks too overscale tbh

K

I haven't used it on 1/24 Keith but I would tend to agree with you as the texture is quite pronounced even on 1/12 🙂

Just a bit of advise andy, when you get to the tyre decals they are not the usual decals the glue is on the outside when you peel them off the decals are on the tissue not the backing paper and they are in reverse you need to cut them as close as possible to the decal edge then dip them in the water and lay the tissue on the tyre till they stick ( even so I still had to move a few letters with water and an small brush) the first one before I knew this I had to do all the letters by hand as I thought they were normal decals. 

• Thanks 2