Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 934 Jagermeister

Hi there, so my next build and a scale change to 1/12 I don't think I'll finish this one in a couple of weeks ๐Ÿ™‚. Here's a couple of pics of the difference in size between the 1/24 version and the 1/12 a much bigger difference than I expectedย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

I really didn't expect that much size difference ๐Ÿ™‚. I had to decide whether or not to buy a new display cabinet as the current one is full, or spend the money on this kit, I guess I just couldn't resist the kit.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

This won't be my usual 10 day build and tbh I don't really care how long it takes it's the finished build I'm interested in and I'm quite looking forward to a slower more relaxed approach. Ive made a start albeit not a massive amount so far but already I'm enjoying myself although one things for sure I'm certainly going to use more paint than usual ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's where I am at the moment a long but interesting road ahead. Thanks for looking I'll be back soon ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 8

Your paint technique will change a bit as you know. Big surface areas require more material and maybe a larger needle and seat. As always experimenting best but spoons may be too small. Sheet plastic or old large soda bottles........

3 minutes ago, Codger said:

Your paint technique will change a bit as you know. Big surface areas require more material and maybe a larger needle and seat. As always experimenting best but spoons may be too small. Sheet plastic or old large soda bottles........

Very true my friend and duly noted. Part of the reason for the scale change is to explore new methods and adapt where necessary I'm in this for the long haul and also because I've just purchased my next build another 1/12 kit ๐Ÿ™‚

21 minutes ago, Codger said:

Big surface areas require more material and maybe a larger needle and seat.

ย 

Basically Andy, you're gonna need a bigger gun....!!! :)

ย 

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I've just purchased my next build another 1/12 kit

ย 

Hmmm, you kept that quiet...!!ย 

ย 

So as well as a bigger gun, you're gonna need a bigger house to fit in the bigger display cabinet to keep all these humongous kits in....!! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Enjoy the build!

ย 

K

30 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Twice as wide and twice as long! Big difference. Are you following KPnuts build of the Vaillant version?

Yes I've been following with interest from the beginning ๐Ÿ™‚

27 minutes ago, Pouln said:

Oh great. Show us the wonders you will achieve with this kit.

I'll certainly do my best ๐Ÿ™‚

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

ย 

Basically Andy, you're gonna need a bigger gun....!!! :)

ย 

ย 

Hmmm, you kept that quiet...!!ย 

ย 

So as well as a bigger gun, you're gonna need a bigger house to fit in the bigger display cabinet to keep all these humongous kits in....!! ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Enjoy the build!

ย 

K

I've got my eye on a bigger " Gun " as we speak ๐Ÿ™‚. The latest kit purchase is the 1/12 GT40 I simply couldn't resist it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. As for the display cabinet I'll worry about that later ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1

I assume โ€œgunโ€ as being airbrush. You donโ€™t NEED another one. Bigger needle etc is all you need. I use this brand with 0,4 and 0,6 for my 1:8 model Alfa Romeo.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

me as a huge Porsche fan, have to follow your project with big interest............1/12 its giant.

Glad to have you along ๐Ÿ™‚

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Very true my friend and duly noted. Part of the reason for the scale change is to explore new methods and adapt where necessary I'm in this for the long haul and also because I've just purchased my next build another 1/12 kit ๐Ÿ™‚

:frantic::frantic::frantic:

27 minutes ago, Pouln said:

I assume โ€œgunโ€ as being airbrush. You donโ€™t NEED another one. Bigger needle etc is all you need. I use this brand with 0,4 and 0,6 for my 1:8 model Alfa Romeo.

I have plenty of different size needles and nozzles already I just like to treat myself occasionally ๐Ÿ™‚

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Andy J said:

occasionally

ย 

Just occasionally??!! ๐Ÿคฃ

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

I assume โ€œgunโ€ as being airbrush. You donโ€™t NEED another one.

ย 

'Twas but a joke...!! :)

ย 

Keith

I'm in because, as KPnuts knows, I've got one and it'll be Jagermeister (not going to try to get Vaillant decals, plus, seeing his one, those look mean!), so I'll be watching and learning. On that front, BTW, any particular reason you've gone for Zero Paints and not Tamiya's TS-12? I'm a relatively recent returner to this excellent hobby, so am very keen on sucking up good info.

21 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

I'm in because, as KPnuts knows, I've got one and it'll be Jagermeister (not going to try to get Vaillant decals, plus, seeing his one, those look mean!), so I'll be watching and learning. On that front, BTW, any particular reason you've gone for Zero Paints and not Tamiya's TS-12? I'm a relatively recent returner to this excellent hobby, so am very keen on sucking up good info.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like and I will try to help as much asย  I can.ย  First off the tamiya TS paints are great to use and can leave a brilliant finish but imo the TS12 is a shade too light. The pic below shows the 1/24 version I built a while ago which was sprayed with TS12

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

There is no clear coat applied to this car so what you see is the true colour and like I say it's a shade to light imo.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

Here's one of my reference pics and I think this is a darker shade than the TS12. That's why I'm using the zero paints orange in a test spray on a plastic spoon over grey primer it looks perfect. But like I said earlier the TS range of paints are great to use and good value for money ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2

Aha, yes, an absolute pig of a colour to match. I've noted already that Tamiya's X range orange is a bit paler than the TS (less red), but somewhere I saw a Google post that suggested that aย 14:1 mix of Tamiya's orange and red matched it. For my T70, I tried Gulf colours and made the orange 7:1, and it didn't look to "peely wally" - only the Scots amongst us will get that one!

3 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Aha, yes, an absolute pig of a colour to match. I've noted already that Tamiya's X range orange is a bit paler than the TS (less red), but somewhere I saw a Google post that suggested that aย 14:1 mix of Tamiya's orange and red matched it. For my T70, I tried Gulf colours and made the orange 7:1, and it didn't look to "peely wally" - only the Scots amongst us will get that one!

"Peely wally" not to pale then?ย  Good job I'm a Scotsman ๐Ÿ™‚

Be nice to see another of these, I was tempted by this one but I do prefer the colour of the Vaillant one. You're off to a great start.

1 minute ago, kpnuts said:

Be nice to see another of these, I was tempted by this one but I do prefer the colour of the Vaillant one. You're off to a great start.

Thank you I built the 1/24 Vaillant not long ago it is indeed a great colourย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

Your build is coming together nicely great work ๐Ÿ™‚

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

I have plenty of different size needles and nozzles already I just like to treat myself occasionally ๐Ÿ™‚

That I can understand๐Ÿ˜

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

like I say it's a shade to light imo.ย 

ย 

spacer.png

ย 

TBH Andy, I think the colour is much brighter than that - I think it's gloomy light making it look that dark.ย 

ย 

I saw one of the 962's in an endurance race back in the day, and this is more how I see the colour in my mind's eye (for whatever that's worth!);

ย 

451562.jpg?v=1

ย 

I think you pretty much nailed the colour on your ''little'' 934!

ย 

K

ย