1/72 Ilyushin-62 from Zvezda?

There's a company producing a 1/72 777-300. Believe it's made of resin but the point is some folks seem to feel there's a market for these things and they produce according to their belief. Modelsvit is producing a 1/72 scale AN-225 and we've seen a 1/48 B-36 from another firm (and a beautifully built example from one of our BM modelers). Based on the large scale models we've seen produced in recent years, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Zvezda do this. Now if someone will just produce a 1/72 C-124 I'd be thrilled. 1/48 C-124? Bring it on!  😃 I'm a dreamer?  Oh yeah!

Zvezda is a mainstream manufacturer, they don't do resin, vacform or short run kits, this is not their niche, they don't compete with hereby mentioned Modelsvit, HPH or Mach-2.

Il-62 in 1/72? Maybe. Il-62 in 1/72 from Zvezda? No way. 

I agree with @Pin There is a big difference between producing kits from resin and injection moulded plastic. I don't mean this is any derogatory sense but resin is primarily a cottage industry with limited overheads. Unless you go down the route of low-pressure, short run moulding like F-RSIN, the tooling costs for an injection moulded kit are significant and it's hard to think of any reason for Zvezda to produce something like a 1/72 IL-62. Ask any airliner modeller what new kit he/she most wants to see and the response will probably be "a decent 1/144 Boeing 757". I don't remember anyone clamouring for a 1/72 IL-62. Never say never but it strikes me as extremely unlikely that one of the major manufacturers will produce a 1/72 IL-62

I would not be so quick to dismiss the possibility.

For starters, this is a Russian plane with a lot of "firsts", that would appeal to a great number of local modellers.

Then you have to consider about 30 other countries, where it was / is flying.

So, the market is there (with some support from decal printers).

Everybody thinks of metal forms as a 1/4 mil $ investment. I wonder, how much does it cost in Russia?

You have to remember, they selling a lot of kits in The West, for a $, yet their spending on production is in Rubles.

Cost of living is quite different, so everybody working there is happy + extra "mulla" in company for some new projects.

Zig

3 hours ago, zigster said:

how much does it cost in Russia?

Not cheaper.

Do you know who is the main target group for Zvezda? Hint - it is not adult modellers. They make much more money on Disney licensed toy kits

s-l1600.jpg

table games

cover.jpg?14284204782417222763_w640_h640_nastolnaya-igra-zve

and snap kits. Their "ultimate" series of airliner kits, targeted for advanced modellers was a commercial failure (and will not be continued).  Taking into account that in the West the demand for this type is even lower, and they would need to sell tens of thousands kits to break even - no chance. Zero. HET! 

• Like 1