I've never seen a comparison between the two kits but I'd be very surprised if they weren't tooled by the same people given the close ties between Revell and Zvezda.

I built the Revell kit a couple of years ago. It is one of the easiest and most enjoyable builds I've ever done and the finished result looks like an A350 to me. Here is the RFI if you are interested. It also shows how I protected the nose wheel leg which has to be fitted right at the start.

Hope that's some (limited) help.

Dave G

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

It is one of the easiest and most enjoyable builds I've ever done and the finished result looks like an A350 to me. Here is the RFI if you are interested

Good to know about the buildability. I was surprised that I reacted but didn't comment on your own fine A350

I've got both, they're completely different kits, no commonality in the tooling. They're both good kits, not a lot to choose between them, but the Revell kit has a slight edge over the Zvezda kit in a couple of areas. If you like clear windows the Revell kit supplies a 2 part cockpit, plus the Revell kit includes intakes and vents on the wing/body fairing that are missing from the Zvezda kit - the 2 big intakes are a notable ommision. Detail on the undercarriage and their bays is slightly better on the Revell kit as well. However, if you want an A350-1000 I'd go with the Zvezda kit and add the 2 underfuselage intakes, rather than trying to convert the Revell kit, as you get the correct style 6 wheel main undercarriage  and don't have to lengthen the fuselage.

If you don't have a preference between a -900  and a -1000 I'd go with the Revell kit, if you particularly want a -1000 the Zvezda kit is nearly as good so go with that one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

In my research for a Matterhorn White so far I have found suggested Mr.Color#107 and Tamiya LP-35. Has anyone looked at RAL 9016 Traffic White? Would it be worth a try? I have yet to look at a proper sample but I think it might be not too far off the mark.

With the caveat of viewing a colour sample on a monitor screen, RAL9016 could be a candidate. I have found, on all things, a boat paint site (https://www.alexseal.com/resources/color-selection/topcoat/img/image/t9123-matterhorn-white) a RGB reference of 221, 224, 225 which is even further along towards a greyer shade. This would align with the perception that the wings are painted light grey especially when the airline has specified a 'purer' shade of white for the winglets resulting in a c;lear contrast between the two areas.

As another alternative Honda has a white in their range, code NH-50, which they call Matterhorn White. You can get it in a spray can here: https://www.advancedpaints.co.uk/product/honda-matterhorn-white-nh-50/ .It'd be interesting to see if this is the same as the Airbus version, or at least close enough to be usable. I'll have to get a can to see if it is an option,

Hopefully one of these will prove a good match.

Jonathan

• Thanks 2

Just to be clear, I am probably the source of the suggestion of Mr Color 107 and it is wrong. I used it on my Air China A350. It looked OK indoors but as soon as I took the model outside for photographs I realised it was a sort of dirty concrete colour rather than very light grey. Not recommended.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...