Tribute Ship

Good evening,

Pardon my intrusion but i have wandered over from the world of plastic wings etc,the aircraft side and i need to tell you a story of why i am here.

My dad left school in the early fifties to start work as a boat builder in the small village of Wroxham on the Norfolk Broads when boats were made properly from wood.He worked in various yards until he was pensioned off at the age of 60 due to health issues.In the search of something to fill the time my mum bought him a model ship kit,an Arkit pinky dove 1:30 which is something he had shown an interest in doing.The problem is that his health issues included the onset of parkinson's disease which caused as you probably know shaking in the hands.The model was only opened and looked at and some of the pieces dry fitted and i think he was aware that he was not going to be able to manage it much to his frustration and the model was put in the spare room.Ten years passed and and dad died followed five years later by my mum.On clearing the house i came across the forgotten kit and thought one day i will do that and there it sat in the top of my wardrobe for the next five years.Corona virus and lockdown appear and i glimpse the kit and think the time is now.Never made a boat before planking,decking,rigging,sails oh my lord i'm used to plastic,glue and paint but it is finally done,probably not correctly but its done and i am pleased with it.

Its my small tribute to him.

IMG_6069

IMG_6068

IMG_6067

IMG_6066

IMG_6065

IMG_6064

IMG_6063

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Chris,

Your father would have been proud of you. The "Tribute' looks very professional. 

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris,

Loved your finished boat and a really wonderful tribute! My story is somewhat the same, but not exactly a tribute. My wife bought "Pinky" for me back in 1984 as a project. Work and a young family got in the way and I only started with the basic hull framing before I put it on top of the cupboard to do "when I broke my leg" and would be layed up for an extended time! Time passed, I didn't break my leg, the family grew up and moved on, I retired and Covid came along. Eventually I got it down off the cupboard, dusted it off and am in the middle of it's build. Hull completed and now doing the deck fittings, and masts next. Your finished boat has given me inspiration and momentum.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...