Australian F-35 damaged

Blimpyboy

On 7/13/2020 at 9:20 PM, Blimpyboy said:

But... but... Lockheed says wear and tear will make it better and more stealthy...

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/f-35-gets-stealthier/

iigbg.jpg

theyre-laughing-all-the-way-to-the-bank

Oh gawd...  an 8-year old article by notorious JSF hater David Axe (is this guy even around any more?).   Is that the best that the anti-F-35 crowd can come up with these days?  LOL.....

It is such a polarising debate, isn’t it?

There seems to be no middle ground - people either love it or hate it.

Personally, I feel it’s another F-111 - let it mature and it will be appreciated and praised; plus, it will perform very well indeed. It is an amazing promise of a fighter for the coming generations.

Still, for what it is and will need to do, I feel it’s just not worth the asking price, especially for countries with better things - and people - to spend billions on.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 5:26 AM, alex said:

Our sincere thoughts go out to the poor soul who pushed the gate-close button a tad early. The L&D won’t be minor

Or alternatively, the button for Nine Entertainment on the TV remote control in the Engineers' Mess operates on the same frequency as the remote for the gate ..............

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Oh gawd...  an 8-year old article by notorious JSF hater David Axe (is this guy even around any more?).   Is that the best that the anti-F-35 crowd can come up with these days?  LOL.....

I don't anything about David Axe but he writes the regular "Cutting Edge - Dispatches from the front line of Aerospace Technology" column that is to be found towards  the back of the monthly magazine "Combat Aircraft Journal" (formerly Combat Aircraft Magazine).

15 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Is that the best that the anti-F-35 crowd can come up with these days?

I agree there's a lot of silly unnecessary hate (even dafter than the people who take against the A380 because, because, er, because it's the A380) but not this, surely?  You could turn this into something anti-F-35 only by complaining that it doesn't have a self-defence system that shoots down street furniture.  (Or possibly one that's so badly programmed that it attacks Belisha beacons instead.)

10 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

It is such a polarising debate, isn’t it?

There seems to be no middle ground - people either love it or hate it.

Personally, I feel it’s another F-111 - let it mature and it will be appreciated and praised; plus, it will perform very well indeed. It is an amazing promise of a fighter for the coming generations.

Still, for what it is and will need to do, I feel it’s just not worth the asking price, especially for countries with better things - and people - to spend billions on.

I agree, to a point.   I used to be a very vocal F-35 critic (how could you not be in the early days?).  However by most accounts, with enough time and dollars, it seems to have matured into a pretty decent bit of kit.   Nothing to be gained by bringing up decade old issues that have mostly been resolved, besides, it’s not like we (in my case the USA) has a fall back Plan B.   This thing has to work or we are in a world of hurt.  

• Like 1